User Avatar Image

Concepts and Such

posted by Ry Guy Telltale Staff on - last edited - Viewed by 8.2K users
Stuff that has lead up to current designs and stuff that has just been left to die.
263 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Ry Guy Telltale Staff
    Edgy_McSpoon;131936 said:

The things that aren't extra-ordinary are these moments in Telltale games where you're staring at the screen and little to nothing is going on. Some 3d puppet is giving a long winded speech with maybe a casual shrug or hand movement. No expression - nothing. This leaves me empty, and I am saddened because I know there is more behind these characters. I so desparately want to reach into the screen or the mechanics behind the game and make these characters a little more lively. Now, I have not worked in the industry YET, and therefore I cannot help but be a little unaware of the limitations a game engine poses. However, I do know what I'd like to see, and that is more life, more movement, more something to give these characters substance. Just adding that extra sense of depth would help immensely.
    I get the passion! And for that point, oh man, we've been addressing this issue. One of the main things is to not have the characters pretty much just staring and breathing at you. We have a whole lot of talented animators to address this issue. Everytime I walk by someone's desk and see the characters in motion, I'm simply blown away by it! I'm very proud of our animation staff, I think the animation of this game will be our best yet. Thanks to them and our art directors Dave Bogan and Derek Sakai who have seen to it that the animations are spot on.
  • Edgy_McSpoon;131936 said:
    The things that aren't extra-ordinary are these moments in Telltale games where you're staring at the screen and little to nothing is going on. Some 3d puppet is giving a long winded speech with maybe a casual shrug or hand movement. No expression - nothing. This leaves me empty, and I am saddened because I know there is more behind these characters. I so desparately want to reach into the screen or the mechanics behind the game and make these characters a little more lively.
    I've played all the games Telltale has produced so far (with the single exception of C.S.I.), and I honestly don't know what you are referring to. Animation has always been good, and characters have always seemed lively enough, even when graphics weren't exactly top notch. Just have a look at the wonderful animated sequences in Mob, Mole and Meatball (2007) or even at dialogues in Out from Boneville (2005). I know what you mean: I've seen many adventure games with moments like the one you've described, but never a soulless puppet in a game by Telltale.
  • Hmm i remember the animations didn't look this fine in the old games but they have improved over the years and are very good in W&G now.
  • One thing about Guybrush's coat... isn't it pretty warm in the Caribbean all year?
  • Arodin;132153 said:
    One thing about Guybrush's coat... isn't it pretty warm in the Caribbean all year?
    Maybe it's velvet?
  • Those unpredictable Caribbean Trade winds can be quiet breazy.
  • Arodin;132153 said:
    One thing about Guybrush's coat... isn't it pretty warm in the Caribbean all year?
    Maybe it's made by the same guys who make Silver's longjohns (they breathe!)
  • Mestafais;132254 said:
    *thumbs up* That is awesome, man! Great work! I bet that'll be on quite a few desktops before long.
  • Let's have a wallpaper contest! :D Yaaaay! And the winner will be chosen by the TTG Team! Yaaaay! And if you win you get a... ... a stupid T-Shirt!

Actually that sounds pretty cool! If it's a MI T-Shirt! :p
Add Comment