User Avatar Image

Tales of MI - graphic issues and some examples

posted by Edward VanHelgen on - last edited - Viewed by 2K users
First of all, i m nothing of a graphic expert - i dont even know to use photoshop properly.

Also, there has been much talk about which is better, SE or Tales, Tales or Escape, are Monkey 1 and 2 better drawn and so on.

Its hard to compare different styles, but no, Tales of MI is not looking worse then SE speaking in some general graphic issues, and actually Tales of MI Guybrush is better looking then SE one, which wasnt a hard thing to do

image,

and pretty good on the spot with its design. however, and without arguing on 3d aspect, graphics could certanly use some details, in therms of variety for example. i dont wanna go into financial or budget issues as i understand it, but in therms of some more simple decisions, details, choice of colours, patterns and so on. many 3d games tend to look a little straightforward in terms of colours, like its a set and stage at the theater that u watch for couple of hours with the same background props for the scenes. thats the problem i find also with similiar games, counting there also Sam & Max and Wallace and Grommit.

Of course, i m bothered with this because i think Tales of MI shure is actually not bad looking, even if now we are talking about 3d with keyboard controls, but i ll leave that aside for now.

So, where i m pointing. If we turn attention onto the water, you could really sense some little variety while looking at the scenes and screenshots, and somehow the whole scene looks bland. i tried to break the monotony with some different or agressive choice of colour, to look somehow more natural, and at the same time, more cartoonish as well.

image image

the second scene has also redesigned water, but this time with some different patterns and couple of variations, where i just added some more waves, but still the whole scene feels a little different. Also, if we add variety for the clouds as well, i think the scene is a growing somehow, with a sense of wide area, like area where we would sail later on.

image image image

As for the third example, i simply changed the sand which is down right where Guybrush is standing, trying to make a little twist to design and colour scheme without changing too much of original design, to make it look maybe more detailed or rich.

image image
94 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I hope to see some night time screen shots soon....

Working off what was already done here is how I picture a night shot should look like.

• haha not bad with that night shot :p
  • Honestly? I like the modified pics more than the originals.
  • Irishmile;132171 said:
    I hope to see some night time screen shots soon....

Working off what was already done here is how I picture a night shot should look like.

Yep, that's the sort of thing I want to see in TMI!

But yeah, the game is already getting all the modification it needs. It's not a bad thing to see the fans show off what they want to see though.
  • **High Fives Laserschwert** with the assist LOL.
  • Laserschwert;132029 said:
    Or closer to CMI's colors (with blueish shadow areas from the sky), and maybe a touch of distance fog (for more depth):

Just an idea... but I'm sure Telltale will make it look good anyway.
    Great modification. Your little tweaks really improve the lighting and atmosphere. Good work! Thing is, modified textures aside, Telltale could easily make similar changes by implementing some full-screen shader effects. Here's hoping they do something like this.
  • Hmmm. Night sky doesn't need to be green. It's blue, blue, blue in SMI.
  • Jumping on the bandwagon!

• Laserschwert and Hoppydragon have some cool takes on it, but I think the original looks pretty good. The sand, for instance, has absolutely nothing wrong with it, in my opinion. I agree the water would benefit a bit from more water-looking effects, but that's not a big deal.

For the sake of participation, though, here's the same screenshot with photoshop's "poster edges" filter applied to everything except the sky:

• LuigiHann;132376 said:
    Laserschwert and Hoppydragon have some cool takes on it, but I think the original looks pretty good. The sand, for instance, has absolutely nothing wrong with it, in my opinion. I agree the water would benefit a bit from more water-looking effects, but that's not a big deal.
    I just think the yellows are a bit too strong and the blues are a bit too weak, really. A little bloom shader would be excellent too, really.

I could easily whip up the same effect on various other screenshots from ToMI. The changes I made are seperate layers in Photoshop.. actually fiddling with one of Guybrush right now.
Add Comment