User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Team

posted by Jake Telltale Alumni on - last edited - Viewed by 40.4K users
Welcome to the secret forum! As a thank you for pre-ordering, we've created this little backstage area where you can hang out with the development team, keep an eye on the development of Tales of Monkey Island, and hopefully get your hands on things before we go wide with them to the public.

First off, though, let's start a Q&A thread!

Any questions you've got for the development team, ask 'em here!
We'll try to dogpile this thread with high quality facts and higher quality lies conversation!
1.5K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • xuicsus;132883 said:
    "What's Monkey Island?"
    On one hand, I know that if Monkey Island becomes more popular and well known than it already is, LucasArts may continue the series for quite some time again. On the other hand, if the series is popular, will they cater to the old fans or destroy the franchise in the process of trying to make it mass appealing?

The only people I trust right now with Monkey Island is Telltale.

And back on topic, I have my own question, which hopefully hasn't been asked already. In the main forum a few people were talking about night scenes and locations in TMI. So, will there be any? :)
  • xuicsus;132883 said:
    "What's Monkey Island?"
    BLASHPHEMY! May he take a long walk off of a very short plank.
  • User Avatar Image
    seanvanaman Telltale Alumni
    HoppyDragon;132888 said:
    And back on topic, I have my own question, which hopefully hasn't been asked already. In the main forum a few people were talking about night scenes and locations in TMI. So, will there be any? :)
    Oh yes.
  • Dave Grossman;132832 said:
    I believe I personally gave them that rhyme. I had come up with it for a Pajama Sam game where I needed rhymes for all the primary colors for some reason.
    (Seems to me Tim also called me for a rhyme for "fandango" in that same general time period....)

Edit: Chuck just walked past my desk, and he claims he came up with door hinge independently. We're going to have to duke it out.
    (He also claims not to have played Pajama Sam, if you can believe that!)
    Technically, there are 2 words that actually rhyme with orange: sporange and blorenge. check them on google :)
  • Have you looked at scummvm.org?
  • User Avatar Image
    Dave Grossman Telltale Alumni
    Laokin;130027 said:
    Another question directed to nobody in particular... but, Why did you guys choose to make it MI6 (for all intents and purposes) why did you skip 5?
    Jake mentioned this as being a gag, which it kind of is, but we discussed a more serious angle as well, that basically being that the time gap creates a mental space that allows us to make ToMI instead of having to make EfMI2. If that makes sense.
  • rogerthehart;132896 said:
    Have you looked at scummvm.org?
    I'm using ScummVM on my PC right now to bypass compatibility issues with my old CoMI, but I don't want to deal with the whole homebrew/R4/pirating stuff that would be necessary to use it on my DS. It makes me nervous. I'd much rather buy and use stable official versions of SCUMM games.
  • User Avatar Image
    Dave Grossman Telltale Alumni
    Nojh;126285 said:

So how many of the past games have you played? (Time to prove your cred!)
    I played the first two, which I co-wrote, many, many times. I am proud to say I defeated Tim Schafer by a good ten minutes the day we had the Secret of Monkey Island race (the game was in QA and we were temporarily all out of bugs to fix so there wasn't much else to do). Later on, as a private citizen of sorts, I played Curse of Monkey Island, and that was really fun for me, since it was my first chance to experience the monkeys from a strictly audience point of view. I liked it very much. And then Escape from Monkey Island I played only a year or two ago, and it was hilarious, but unfortunately by then I was over forty and I no longer possessed the patience to finish it. Fortunately, Mike Stemmle sits about twenty feet away from me so he's been able to fill me in on the details I missed. (Thanks, man!)
  • I don't know whether or not it has already been asked, but will there be an option in the menu for walking speed? If not, what about a run button? For example, Sam & Max Season Two had a 'double-click to run' feature. I am aware that the Tales of Monkey Island control scheme is not finalized yet, though. Some people may gawk at a run feature, but it would be there for those that want it, and everyone else could just ignore it.

PS. Nobody answered my last question, so I can assume that the Monkey Island (CMI and EMI) tradition of including a bogus option in the menu will not be making an appearance this time around. I suppose that a '2D' option that does nothing would really upset the hardcore fans of MI1-3. It would be pretty funny, though.

By the way, I am glad to hear that volume control has been split back into three sliders for Tales of Monkey Island. I missed that in Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures. I am a tweak freak, so I love to have a lot of options.
  • Hi guys, will we be seeing any cinematic cutscenes (higher quality renders like the S&M S2 trailer) in the episodes?
    I love how these look, although story always comes first to me over anything else. It's just a nicer way to immerse you into that story :)
Add Comment