User Avatar Image

A question about SCUMMVM and CMI

posted by xfinitex on - last edited - Viewed by 2.5K users
So, I have CDs for all four Monkey Island games, but when I play Curse, the text options are cut off on one side. Should I be running it through SCUMMVM, or is there an option to change resolution within the game? I mean, it doesn't seem to interfere with my gameplay, but it is a bit irritating to have text (even non-important text) cut off at one side.
16 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Olaus Petrus;133646 said:
    Only problem I had with CMI and XP was with the cutscenes, but when I reduced sound accerlation level from DxDiag everything works fine.

    But with your problem I would recommend that you do like Hoppy suggests and customize resolution of your monitor. You could also use ScummVM, but personally I don't like it.

    I rather solve problems individually with newer games and with older games I use DOSBox. My beef with ScummVM is that it changes load/save menus of Monkey 1 & 2. (I haven't tried it with CMI), while DOSBox doesn't change anything.
    does CMI even have a dos version? I remember it as a windows only.
  • I don't understand why you're not using ScummVM for all supported games. It's wonderful, and the graphics filters make everything so much crisper. Less so in CMI, but it's still there.
  • I've just started playing CMI again and I'm doing it through ScummVM simply because it works perfectly. Ok you have to use the option menu provided by the program (you can still open the original options menu but you can't change anything there or save & load - the enable 3D acceleration option still works though!) but it also makes it easier to run the game at it's natural size in a window. I play most of my games in windowed mode if I can now simply because of my dual monitor setup, in that they are of differing sizes which means when the primary monitor has a full screen game/program running which isn't at the resolution of that monitor it messes up the display on my secondary monitor.
  • corruptbiggins;133783 said:
    I play most of my games in windowed mode if I can now simply because of my dual monitor setup, in that they are of differing sizes which means when the primary monitor has a full screen game/program running which isn't at the resolution of that monitor it messes up the display on my secondary monitor.
    I have this same problem with my dual monitor setup, and I hate it. Too bad each can't be treated as their own desktop, with windows and input devices interchangeable across both.
  • HoppyDragon;133789 said:
    I have this same problem with my dual monitor setup, and I hate it. Too bad each can't be treated as their own desktop, with windows and input devices interchangeable across both.
    They can.... I used to have my TV and PC set up that way... I could slide things over to my TV and view it there.
  • Irishmile;133796 said:
    They can.... I used to have my TV and PC set up that way... I could slide things over to my TV and view it there.
    ...I meant without the resolution change of one affecting the other. Independent desktops, I guess. That's what I meant by being treated as their own desktops. Guess I wasn't clear enough.
  • Yeah... that is actually what I had... my TV was a different resolution.. and was a separate desktop. IE I could send a movie over to my tv from my PC and still surf the net on my computer
  • Irishmile;133801 said:
    Yeah... that is actually what I had... my TV was a different resolution.. and was a separate desktop. IE I could send a movie over to my tv from my PC and still surf the net on my computer
    Okay, I guess I'm still not being clear enough. When you have two with different resolutions, and you load a game on one that changes the resolution of one of the screens, it messes up the other screen.
  • Mataku;133719 said:
    does CMI even have a dos version? I remember it as a windows only.
    Nope it's just for windows, but it works without issues under XP as long as you remember to reduce the audio accerlation. Often heavy adjustment of settings is required to get Win95 game run under XP, so I'm surprised how easily old LucasArts games run under XP.
Add Comment