User Avatar Image

On Monkey Island being cartoonish

posted by Kroms on - last edited - Viewed by 2.6K users
I've noticed a lot of posters have been claiming that Monkey Island is not cartoonish. That maybe the third one is, but the real, Ron Gilbert ones are not. So I created this thread (yes, a full thread, to draw your attention).

This is a scene from Monkey Island 2. I want you to see how Guybrush escapes LeChuck's fortress. Specifically, the point at which Guybrush lights a match.

Very realistic, isn't it?

Monkey Island is a cartoon, and always has been. And for those of you about to mention SMI's close-ups:
Ron Gilbert said:
I was always bothered by [the] close-ups. While they were great art, I never felt they matched the style of the rest of the game. Not sure how I feel about them 20 years later
76 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Rapp Scallion;134382 said:
    I think you're the one that hasn't played the first games in a while if you remember them as being just silly cartoon fun...
    So what do you think of when someone mentions "Monkey Island?"
  • A deep drama of a young man trying to find his place in this world, and his quest to fulfill his destiny and find true love...

Oh wait...
  • Eduardo;134908 said:
    A deep drama of a young man trying to find his place in this world, and his quest to fulfill his destiny and find true love...

Oh wait...
    Heh! :p
  • MusicallyInspired;134885 said:
    The point was that the cover art doesn't match the in-game graphics and doesn't have to.
    The point is that cartoon style isn't necessarily demential, as The Dig proves.
  • I'm not arguing that point. In fact, I agree. I picture the first two Monkey Islands as on the same cartoon level as The Dig is (except actually shaded instead of cel-shaded).
  • Oh, yeah, then I TOTALLY agree with you. THAT cartoon style would be OK for MI, a bit like Broken Sword, a bit like The Dig, and here's a cartoon style that's cool and not exaggerated at the same time.
  • For me, it the huour which makes it tongue-in-cheek / cartoony / spoofy.

I wonder if this was lost in translation for some people? They took in as more serious that it actually was.
  • Toothless Gibbon;136357 said:
    For me, it the huour which makes it tongue-in-cheek / cartoony / spoofy.

I wonder if this was lost in translation for some people? They took in as more serious that it actually was.
    Ron Gilbert came up with the initial game as a more serious story. It was only once they started making it that they decided to turn it into a comedy. To see the games as pure comedy would be a mistake, just as seeing them as an epic.
  • Im not saying I see them as pure comedy (like S&M) but its the whacky humour / great writing thats stands them apart from generic adventure games IMO (well, that and some amazing puzzles!)
  • Toothless Gibbon;136410 said:
    Im not saying I see them as pure comedy (like S&M) but its the whacky humour / great writing thats stands them apart from generic adventure games IMO (well, that and some amazing puzzles!)
    That's true. I think the great thing about MI is that even when more sinister things happened (like LeChuck at the end of MI2) they countered it with some light relief. Yet I think the balance definitely shifted over the 3/4 and i'm not sure that was for the best, though CMI worked very well.
Add Comment