User Avatar Image

Concepts and Such

posted by Ry Guy Telltale Staff on - last edited - Viewed by 8.2K users
Stuff that has lead up to current designs and stuff that has just been left to die.
263 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Bruce Achterberg;143109 said:
    Wow guys (i.e. the Telltale team)... the game looks really, really good.

Well done, indeed. Bravo. Looks like it'll be a pleasure--nay, a joy--to play. :)
    • Love the incorporated 2D elements (i.e. the inventory map)
    • Love the music
    • Brilliant voice acting (although Earl Boen is irreplaceable)
    • Great character animation (especially facial)
  • EricP;143158 said:
    Nice! Glad to hear it's being appreciated! :)
    When I saw how subtly depth of field was used in W&G I did wonder if it was going to be used in TOMI, it's looking great.

I remember when I first got MI2 (in the before time, long long ago) I noticed the artists had blurred out certain foreground objects to give the depth of field effect, I loved it then and I love it now :cool:
  • So, anybody want to explain to a graphics layman what this fancy depth of field stuff is? :D
  • Rather Dashing;143375 said:
    So, anybody want to explain to a graphics layman what this fancy depth of field stuff is? :D
    You know how when you look at something the stuff closer and further away goes out of focus? Thats depth of field.
  • Rather Dashing;143375 said:
    So, anybody want to explain to a graphics layman what this fancy depth of field stuff is? :D
    Basically a real world camera lens has to be focused at specific distance so that it creates a clear picture of the thing you are filming or taking a photo of. Objects at other distances appear blurred because the light isn't converging at the focal point. This is true of our eyes as well.

Games have only recently started to emulate this effect, It is most noticable in the newer FPS games when you use iron sights to aim. While it's nothing overly important, it's a nice touch that adds to the cinematic feel :D
  • xzodia;143409 said:
    You know how when you look at something the stuff closer and further away goes out of focus? Thats depth of field.
    Visual example to help your point:

• Oh god that hurts my eyes! x_x

But the point has been illustrated. Cool stuff!
  • I am not certain whether or not it has already been mentioned anywhere else on the forum yet, but there are new concepts and screenshots in the VIP section.

http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/monkeyisland/concepts070109/
    http://vip.telltalegames.com/files/monkeyisland/screenshots070109/

Also, a zipped version of the recent gameplay video.

http://telltale.vo.llnwd.net/o15/transfer/talesofmi_gameplay.zip
  • I love the new screenshots!

That concept art with the pirates: a single pirate wearing a number of different disguises, or just Telltale planning to save time and resources by building eight different characters off of the same model?
  • User Avatar Image
    Ry Guy Telltale Staff
    wow, i didn't even know about those concepts that I drew.. welp, its there.
Add Comment