Y'all are gonna hate me for this

No one here is gonna like me after this but someone has to ask it. If Sarah didn't have a disability would people still be angry at greg miller for being happy she died?

Comments

• Yes it would still matter, since she's a child, I don't know why most people overlook that :P

• A more important question to ask, actually, is if Sarah didn't have a disability, would Greg Miller still have acted the way that he did?

• Interesting question

skoothz posted: »

A more important question to ask, actually, is if Sarah didn't have a disability, would Greg Miller still have acted the way that he did?

• I liked Sarah and her anxiety helped make her somewhat more relatable in my opinion, which is probably why her death had the biggest impact on me in episode 4.

• It was sad.

prink34320 posted: »

I liked Sarah and her anxiety helped make her somewhat more relatable in my opinion, which is probably why her death had the biggest impact on me in episode 4.

• I'm getting angry just thinking about that guy only talking trash about Sarah because of her anxiety, that's hurtful!

A more important question to ask, actually, is if Sarah didn't have a disability, would Greg Miller still have acted the way that he did?

• edited August 2014

It'd be shitty no matter what for a man-child to rejoice in seeing fictional children die.

Maybe he'd be more sympathetic to her if she was more like a stereotypical teenager - revealing clothes, tough-grrl attitude, foul mouth.

• Duck was a child too and I really haven't met anyone who would've been grieving about his death

Green613 posted: »

Yes it would still matter, since she's a child, I don't know why most people overlook that :P

• Because they empathized more with Kenny's pain.

I think it depends on your own personal experience, whether you're a parent, a child, a teacher, or someone who just enjoys helping children. Personally, I prioritize children above everything else in this kind of situation out of pragmatism - they're going to be the next generation, and biologically more valuable than the adults.

kettu posted: »

Duck was a child too and I really haven't met anyone who would've been grieving about his death

• I'm on the case.

• I'd like to as a question, as well?

If you know your going to receive hate for asking a question, then why is it worth asking in the first place.

In any case, it looks like you already know the answer to your own question and that you're just asking us in order to piss folks off.

• edited August 2014

I wanted to say that curse you Molly but if Sarah didn't have a disability and Clem came in her room in EP1... I have a feeling that it not ended realy so good, depends on the player and her ofcourse

• i think people are just using her disability as an excuse to get mad at someone who didn't like their favorite character, people are calling him sexist because he didn't like a girl character, so calling him ableist is just another insult they can throw at someone they disagree with

• edited August 2014

Or maybe they're offended by him because he's said prejudiced, ignorant things before and this is just another example of it? Maybe because they actually empathized with the character and were disturbed when a grown man talked about how awesome it was to let her die horribly?

You may agree with him, but you don't need to feign ignorance as to why he might come across as a bad person.

i think people are just using her disability as an excuse to get mad at someone who didn't like their favorite character, people a

• edited August 2014

They should have made Sarah the same age as Clementine, or even younger so people would be reminded of Clem in season 1

I bet that would get people to have second thoughts about killing Sarah

• Or made her act like a regular teenage girl. Either way, the treatment of her and Ben is a little disturbing - a lot of players are teenagers themselves, yet they hate on the teenage characters. What does that say about them?

Pride posted: »

They should have made Sarah the same age as Clementine, or even younger so people would be reminded of Clem in season 1 I bet that would get people to have second thoughts about killing Sarah

• maybe you should defend the stranger and be offended because someone suffering for post traumatic distress wasn't empathised with and was so gleefully killed by so many people, or maybe you won't because you didn't like the character

Bokor posted: »

Or maybe they're offended by him because he's said prejudiced, ignorant things before and this is just another example of it? May

• edited August 2014

Well, presumably, if she didn't have a disability then she wouldn't have acted the way she did. That seems to be the central problem. That he reacted negatively to her actions, which were caused by a disability that he didn't realize she had. Plenty of other characters are hated by players for their harmful actions, their inability to contribute to the group, and their generally being annoying. What makes Sarah's case special is that the actions and habits that she can engages in can be explained by what is thought to be a disability. Her disability excuses her from the responsibility of her negative traits moreso than other characters with negative traits. That's why it's okay to hate them but not okay to hate her.

• edited August 2014

"Not normal" and "disabled" are not necessarily the same thing, and imo, to automatically equate the two is both inaccurate and insulting.

A quadriplegic is both not normal (possession and control of two arms and two legs is the usual state of affairs for our species), and disabled in that he is going to need a great deal of outside help in attending to the ordinary tasks of daily living.

Someone with Antisocial Personality Disorder (a psychopath or sociopath, to use the layman's terms) is not normal, because he lacks empathy and has no regard for the rules of his society. However, he is not disabled, as his condition does not require that endless allowances be made for incapacity.

An elderly woman with osteoporosis is normal. There is nothing out of the ordinary with her condition, given her demographics. However, she might be legitimately called disabled, if her osteoporosis is so bad that she can no longer tend to her own affairs.

• So you somehow know I hate the Stranger, rather than pity him? Interesting. I'm also interested by how little hate there actually is for that character, considering he's an antagonist.

maybe you should defend the stranger and be offended because someone suffering for post traumatic distress wasn't empathised with and was so gleefully killed by so many people, or maybe you won't because you didn't like the character

• "Okay" to hate who? Ben, who's an insecure, well-meaning teenager who cracks under pressure? Arvo, who's a crippled man who happens to be part of a group of presumable bandits? Lilly, whose concern for the group leads her to snap and murder one of them? Kenny, whose hotheadedness leads him to tactlessly kill a man in front of his daughter?

There are incompetent characters. Then there are characters who mess up regardless of intention. Then there are outright villains like Nate, Carver, Troy, and the cannibals.

DomeWing333 posted: »

Well, presumably, if she didn't have a disability then she wouldn't have acted the way she did. That seems to be the central probl

• Really, no one? I did. I liked Duck.

Duck was a child too and I really haven't met anyone who would've been grieving about his death

• edited August 2014

Well people don't seem quite as upset with people hating Kenny for yelling at Clem after Sarita died, hating Lilly after she snaps and kills Carley after weeks of dealing with untreated PTSD, hating that Stranger for what he did after he lost his family, hating Jane for constantly bringing up her dead sister and projecting that trauma onto other situations. These characters seem "okay" to hate. People who hate Kenny, Lilly, The Stranger, and Jane aren't seen as monsters for their opinions. People who hate Sarah are.

The reason for this seems to be the degree to which these characters are seen to be responsible for their actions given their circumstances. People think Kenny, Lily, The Stranger, and Jane are more responsible for how well they can manage their grief than Sarah is for how well she can manage her disability.

"Okay" to hate who? Ben, who's an insecure, well-meaning teenager who cracks under pressure? Arvo, who's a crippled man who happ

• There's a couple of reasons:

1: The degree of the vitriol and the slurs involved. Sure, there's an uproar towards Kenny post Amid The Ruins, but he's still got a huge fan-base who will defend anything he does. Lilly, on the other hand, has comparatively few people who aren't 100% hateful for her for "being a bitch" or "killing Carley", let alone trying to empathize with her. Sarah, however, gets a lot of insults thrown her way just for...existing? I don't know.

2: What they've done. Lilly did something unforgivable. Kenny's instability is brought up several times in Season 2, and he does things that genuinely put people at risk. Nick murdered someone in a very contrived way. The closest thing Sarah did wrong was get Sarita bitten, and her reaction to that is perfectly understandable.

DomeWing333 posted: »

Well people don't seem quite as upset with people hating Kenny for yelling at Clem after Sarita died, hating Lilly after she snaps

• I don't know, based on the recent reactions, I'd say the Sarah fanbase is pretty sizeable and impassioned in defending her, rivaling even the Kenny Brigade.

Sarah, I think, gets a lot of insults thrown at her for not making an effort to help out the group. Her actions in episode 4, while not her fault because of her disability, led to Nick's second death (since he ran with Luke to try and save her) and put Luke, Jane, and Clem's lives at risk.

There's a couple of reasons: 1: The degree of the vitriol and the slurs involved. Sure, there's an uproar towards Kenny post A

• edited August 2014

there is plenty of hate for the stranger so there is no need to feign ignorance about it, the point is that people are hating on greg simply because they disagree with his opinion not because he is actually prejudice, and as greg has explained he didn't think sarah was mentally disabled he just thought she was annoying and sheltered, and as it was never explicitly stated that sarah had any mental disability that is a valid theory, even though i believe she did have some kind of mental disability it doesn't mean that telltale didn't just oversell how sheltered she was and she was never supposed to be perceived as having a mental disability at all.

you and others are just calling greg prejudice because you disagree with him and need an insult to throw at him, and prejudice against disabled people is a pretty good insult

So you somehow know I hate the Stranger, rather than pity him? Interesting. I'm also interested by how little hate there actually is for that character, considering he's an antagonist.

• Opening this back up

• edited August 2014

People are hypocrites. People were ecstatic when Ben was killed, and he was just a hopeless teen.

• edited August 2014

Me too :/

KCohere posted: »

Really, no one? I did. I liked Duck.

• We aren't talking about grieving his death though, we are talking about whether it is right to be happy about someone dying, I bet 9 times out of ten if you ask someone did you feel happy about Duck's death they would probably say no since that was one of the saddest deaths of the game. (even though a lot of people found him annoying.)

• I seriously hate people now.

Oh you didnt like this one Black/White/Asian dude because he tried to kill you? RACIST

Some people dont even know what it is and still call it racist.. Had this one dude one time call me a racist cause I didnt pronounce a name properply

i think people are just using her disability as an excuse to get mad at someone who didn't like their favorite character, people a

• Ben was my favorite character.

People are hypocrites. People were ecstatic when Ben was killed, and he was just a hopeless teen.

• Not everyone. There were people who were sympathetic towards him, such as myself.

• agree.

there is plenty of hate for the stranger so there is no need to feign ignorance about it, the point is that people are hating on g

• Well,he wanted Ben to die,and he didn't have a disability.So yeah,he would say the same thing about Sarah,cuz' he doesn't give two shits about a child that can't protect herself.I know AJ wouldn't say that :P

• Ben fucked up more and caused more issues than Sarah and he didn't have any obvious disabilities. He just happened to fuck up a ton.

• Ben never fucked up, everything he did was intentional since he is one of the greatest characters of season 1 and 2

BenUseful posted: »

Ben fucked up more and caused more issues than Sarah and he didn't have any obvious disabilities. He just happened to fuck up a ton.

• I love Ben, even though i threatened to kill him when he told me the truth.

Green613 posted: »

Ben never fucked up, everything he did was intentional since he is one of the greatest characters of season 1 and 2

• Didn't we all though :P

CrazyGeorge posted: »

I love Ben, even though i threatened to kill him when he told me the truth.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.