User Avatar Image

Other Classic Adventure Games to play whilie waiting!?

posted by theflry on - last edited - Viewed by 1.5K users
I'm totally in the point and click zone! I'm going to try out Gabriel Knight 1 first, even Domenic Armato recommended it.

Besides the classic Lucasarts titles we have ALL surely played, what should I check out? Simon the Sorcerer? Broken Sword? Has anything more modern turned some heads?
72 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • theflry;156836 said:
    I'm totally in the point and click zone! I'm going to try out Gabriel Knight 1 first, even Domenic Armato recommended it.

Besides the classic Lucasarts titles we have ALL surely played, what should I check out? Simon the Sorcerer? Broken Sword? Has anything more modern turned some heads?
    Syberia 1 and 2, if your PC can handle it.
  • I've noticed alot of people on this forum don't like it, but I personally enjoyed Runaway.

Of course there's all the famous oldies you can play too, they've been mentioned plenty of times in similar threads around the forum.
  • I'd recommend all 3 Gabriel Knight games. They're all created in different styles and each have their good and bad points (1 is point & click, 2 uses fmv & point n click and 3 is in 3D).

Definitely play the first 2 Simon the Sorcerer (Simon 3D is ok and there's a lot of mixed views on Simon 4) & Broken Sword games (Broken Sword 3 & 4 aren't bad, they've got good stories but the move to 3D isn't perfect). Some older games are now freeware which you should look into, namely Lure of the Temptress, Beneath A Steel Sky & Flight of the Amazon Queen (the first two were created by the same people who made the Broken Sword games - in fact they were their first 2 games).

Other games to look at are: The Longest Journey (and to a lesser extent it's sequel Dreamfall), Syberia 1 & 2, Toonstruck (I liked it!) and the Discworld series (1, 2 & Noir).

There are plenty of others but those are the better ones I can think of now.
  • thank you so much for those recommendations, exactly what i was looking for!
  • I've just realised that I tend to use way too many parentheses in my posts (is that a bad thing, I forget?)

:)
  • use your free game code while u wait
  • I currently play ceville. A point n click adventures that pay homage to monkey island and other classic adventures. Here http://www.ceville-game.com/en/index_en.html

the ign scored it 9/10 review:
    http://pc.ign.com/articles/967/967223p1.html

• Secret Fawful;156860 said:
    Syberia 1 and 2, if your PC can handle it.
    Syberias amazing, both of them, a third is now in the works...

"The Longest Journey" might very well be the highest rated adventure game of all time, let me tell you it is frigging amazing... try that, then its sequel "Dreamfall"...
  • Try "Runaway: A Road Adventure", that was a lot of fun as well...
  • There are a lot of obvious fits if you want something similar to MI, but maybe one that got lost in the awesomeness of that early 90s adventure game boom was Freddy Pharkas...
Add Comment