User Avatar Image

Monkey Island 5 SUCKS!

posted by Rather Dashing on - last edited - Viewed by 9K users
Everyone is talking about Monkey Island 1-4, but few remember to mention fan-favorite "Monkey Island 5". This epic, 40-hour super experience is heralded for having all the features anyone who hates episodes could ever want.

But really, was it all that great?

First of all, it's just a re-tread of everything that has come before. Oh, have to get near-useless crew. How original. Banishing LeChuck's latest form, though admittedly this has become more of a series staple, I thought that they could have come up with better than a "glowy" Zombie LeChuck. I mean, really, what was up with that?

The ending was non-existent! We spend a HUGE chunk of this 40-hour game crafting the Cursed Cutlass of Kaflu. We found AGAIN all of these items that were in the other games, from a voodoo doll to the Ultimate Insult(ugh) to defeat LeChuck. And when we find all but the fizzy root beer...the game just ends. Abruptly. I mean, we didn't even get a conclusion until recently in Tales of that story. And while it was an epic ending, to be sure, wouldn't it have been more fitting to leave it in its own game? Surely Monkey Island 5 wouldn't have suffered so much if it didn't completely lack an ending.

Why did we have to go to so much trouble to get a monkey coffin, anyway? It wasn't used in the course of Monkey Island 5, so what is the point of that anyway?

And LeChuck stealing monkies? It's a bit hard to swallow, and this is for a series that can get pretty thick in shtick.

Speaking of LeChuck, even *I* can't believe how he ended up surviving the ending of Escape from Monkey Island.

Monkey Island 5 is a HUGE game, that's to be sure. But if one is to go by quality rather than quantity, it's obvious that it is a severe failure compared to Tales of Monkey Island already.

Yes, this is a play on the whole "After Monkey Island 5" business. Sue me.
262 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm not saying I'm a "fan" as in extremely obsessed, but I do like monkey island.. I googled a bit and I didn't find anything.. where can I find this?
  • Astro... Astro... aren't you the guy from the italian MI forums?
    Nope, sorry. Only itialian words i know would be spaghetti and Bella Ciao (not even sure if i spelled that right).
    I hope nobody stole my beloved and silly nickname :eek:

and to pretender... Reread the first post carefully, you'll get it ;)
  • Lol man, the entire post's a joke, he was trying to figure out what happened BEFORE the TOMI intro :) Don't take it seriously
  • I can't believe people are neglecting the worst part. Whose dumb idea was it to put in the first person shooting levels, with spit as your only weapon?
  • Astro Gnocci;157293 said:
    Nope, sorry. Only itialian words i know would be spaghetti and Bella Ciao (not even sure if i spelled that right).
    I hope nobody stole my beloved and silly nickname :eek:
    Lol!!!
  • Ahh I think you're being too harsh TBH. That whole puzzle with the possesed porcelain pirates was inspired!! I can't believe all you had to do was wait for Guybrush to go to his happy place.

Did anyone else get that glitch with the sad music and the possesed Gibbon when you asked about LOOMtm?
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator
    MI5 was pretty lame, it's true. I did like controls and graphics better than ToMI, though. The game had a more epic feel to it, and it wasn't just the game length (40 hours is assumed if you're really good, I spent more like 60-70 hours on it). I know the minigames are often criticised in this one, but I liked the sea battles far better than the CMI ones.
  • Whose dumb idea was it to put in the first person shooting levels, with spit as your only weapon?
    This would actually be awesome :D
  • Pretender;157292 said:
    I'm not saying I'm a "fan" as in extremely obsessed, but I do like monkey island.. I googled a bit and I didn't find anything.. where can I find this?
    It's a joke thread. There's no real Monkey Island 5.
  • It's not often you have to read the end of a post before you start reading it.
Add Comment