User Avatar Image

Monkey Island run issues

posted by megatron on - last edited - Viewed by 806 users
I started Monkey Island up and the menu was VERY laggy. I turned the quality down to 1, and it ran just fine. When I actually got into the game, I still had some lag. I checked, and running at a quality of 3 or higher maxes out my CPU. Even with the quality at 1, I get spikes to about 85% usage.

My specs:
Processor: AMD Athlon
Processor Speed: 2.4GHz
Cache Memory: 1MB on die Level 2
System Memory (RAM): 2GB
Type of Memory (RAM): DDR2
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE
Video Memory: Up to 128MB (shared)
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Basic with SP1

My display is 1366x768. I was running the game at 1280x720 (or less).
19 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Turophile;156516 said:
    Integrated cards and Vista Home Basic do not play terribly well together -- 128MB of shared RAM from Vista is a sign in many ways. Do you have this problem with other games, or 3D applications?
    i just got the computer last week. i haven't really tried any other games or 3d applications... though i did play through an episode from season one of sam and max. it hung a couple of times, but otherwise ran fine at whatever the default settings are.
  • Will;156486 said:
    Hmm, your system looks pretty decent. You can try updating your graphics drivers and DirectX. I'd also suggest turning off all background programs.
    i turned off all background programs (that i recognized)
    i did update my graphics driver last night... then i spent a while trying to get windows to boot. the driver says it is working fine though.

i didn't try updating directX though
  • it seems i already have directx 10 installed.
  • Aside from that, I'd try turning off as many background programs as humanly possible.
  • i did turn off background programs.
    i ended up killing DWM.

after that, i was able to run the game at 1280x720 at quality 3. it hung a few times, but was otherwise fine.

i'm still annoyed that i seem to have the required specs yet can't run the game at high quality, or even mid-quality. i know i don't have the fanciest computer, but i did check the game specs before purchase.

i like the game, but i am not at all impressed with how it runs.
  • megatron;161956 said:

i'm still annoyed that i seem to have the required specs yet can't run the game at high quality, or even mid-quality.
    You may be new to PC gaming. I will let you in on a secret: minimum requirements basically mean that you're going to be able to load the game, not necessarily play it with any degree of enjoyability ;)
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    megatron;161956 said:

after that, i was able to run the game at 1280x720 at quality 3. it hung a few times, but was otherwise fine.

i'm still annoyed that i seem to have the required specs yet can't run the game at high quality, or even mid-quality. i know i don't have the fanciest computer, but i did check the game specs before purchase.
    To be honest, i am actually surprised that you can run it at level 3 at that resolution with 3 year old onboard Graphics and shared memory.
    I recently wrote with someone who was able get a similar performance with a geforce 5500 fx. Your graphics chip seems to have a similar performance as this 5 year old low budget Graphics card.

If you really want to play at higher levels you would need a graphics card better than that. I assume your system has an AGP slot? Then an ATI Radeon 3650 AGP would be a card that is quite cheap and should be sufficient for higher levels. Your system would need to support AGPx8.
    In case it already has PCIe you would have a lot more options.

That recommendation is based on technical data and benchmarks, therefore i can not guarantee you what graphics level would be possible. You should make sure you can get a refund just in case something doesn't work as expected. This statement by another user looks quite promising though, but he didn't say in what resolution. I guess however if it was terribly low he would not sound that positive.
  • Itchrelief;162019 said:
    You may be new to PC gaming. I will let you in on a secret: minimum requirements basically mean that you're going to be able to load the game, not necessarily play it with any degree of enjoyability ;)
    yes, i am new to pc gaming... or at least re-new. i think the last pc game i played was 7th guest.
    i'm used to console gaming where i put the game in the console and it runs without issue.
    i was going to just wait for tales on wiiware, but then i realized it would probably be $10 an episode like strongbad is and i am far too cheap for that.
  • DjNDB;162328 said:
    To be honest, i am actually surprised that you can run it at level 3 at that resolution with 3 year old onboard Graphics and shared memory.
    wait a minute... are you saying that my $300 emachines computer does not feature top of the line technology?
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    megatron;163070 said:
    wait a minute... are you saying that my $300 emachines computer does not feature top of the line technology?
    Sarcasm? :D
This discussion has been closed.