User Avatar Image

Does anyone else get stuck on puzzles for the wrong reasons...?

posted by Shanksworthy on - last edited - Viewed by 508 users
For example, I got completely stuck on the very simple ninja action hero puzzle where you had to follow the treasure map.

The problem wasn't figuring out the puzzle logic -- I figured that out right away. The issue was that for some reason my brain couldn't work out what the drawing for the start location was supposed to be, on the treasure map. To me it looked like a dancing house with bongo drums or something... I stared and squinted at it for a good 45 minutes before my brain finally started to interpret what that shape was.

After finally figuring out what it was, I now see every time I look at it. It's kind of like an M.C. Escher painting where focusing differently will make you see the picture in a completely different way. But it's frustruating to get hung up on a puzzle for a dumb reason like that though.

Anyone else?
33 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • After finishing three idols and the encounter with the marquis at the fourth, I ended up roaming everywhere for more than an hour, thinking that I missed out on some clickable to form the axle. Was about to give myself a break, when I thought of going back and talk to the marquis again. Silly me.
  • I actually got stuck on the third idol thing. It took me a while to realize what to do with the cheese, and then it took me even longer to figure out the right combination. With the second one, I literally just started switching things around and found one that looked good, and it worked the first time. I figured as long as I had the right eyes, nothing else mattered, since the nose worked the first time....
  • Gasokai;154409 said:
    I got stuck plenty of times, I wasn't listening hints tho so I was looking for some hints on what to do next.

First puzzle where I was misleaded was the first Map quest [SPOILER] when you were supposed to click on the well before following the instructions[/SPOILER]. Í mean I did *correctly* follow them at first time, but I didnt click on the well, so I didnt get into the right screen. I ended up searching alternative meaning for a long time. I tried to follow the map backwards and from different locations, but that didnt work :D
    That had me stuck for a little while too. While there is a confirmation sound if you get it right, if you never figure out what you're supposed to do first you never heard the sound, and so don't know that you've missed first step.

Still, is that a good thing or a bad thing? It's nice to have a puzzle game that takes you a while to figure things out. It slows you down, and lets you appreciate the game more than if you breeze through it.
  • kjellers;153317 said:
    I kept inspecting the weather vane (rather than putting it on the idols), Guybrush would pull it out and i could see the symbols for a few secs, worked for the first one but the following idols i was like, wtf, those shapes aren't on there!
    Me too!
    I got lucky on the first and wasted lots of times trying vane from different angles.
    Lol.
  • Well, I got a bit stuck when you have to walk around the calendar.
    I always stopped as soon as it became green, thinking I did it. Later I've understood I had to make one more step to "close the circle" and actually solve that part of the puzzle.
  • It took a long time to me, to find there was something outside the village!
    Just because I wasn't able to correctly move the character through the pillars and outside to the jungle...
  • Guybrush_Threepwood;156570 said:
    Well, I got a bit stuck when you have to walk around the calendar.
    I always stopped as soon as it became green, thinking I did it. Later I've understood I had to make one more step to "close the circle" and actually solve that part of the puzzle.
    I was actually disappointed by the calendar. It looked so cool, with symbols and everything and it got its own camera angle. When I realized what I actually had to do, I thought "Oh, this is it?", and checked the map a few times before going into the next room to confirm it.
  • CalBearRJ;154526 said:
    That's interesting....I actually had Guybrush [Spoiler]look at the weather vein in his inventory. When he holds it up, you can see two of the faces, and one of them worked in the broken idol thingy.[/Spoiler] I don't know if I solved it the right way, but it worked for me.
    Quite same. [Spoiler] When he holds it up, I looked at the two faces you can see and noted I hadn't already used one of them on any of the previous idols, and I used that one.[/Spoiler]
  • I breezed through all the puzzles except for one completely silly mistake. I didn't think to examine the socks for the longest time. I rushed straight past them to the underpants, and assumed that the socks were just there for decoration.
  • Gasokai;154409 said:
    First puzzle where I was misleaded was the first Map quest [SPOILER] when you were supposed to click on the well before following the instructions[/SPOILER]. Í mean I did *correctly* follow them at first time, but I didnt click on the well, so I didnt get into the right screen. I ended up searching alternative meaning for a long time. I tried to follow the map backwards and from different locations, but that didnt work :D
    This happened to me too. I still think that was the most illogical thing in the game.
Add Comment