User Avatar Image

Telltalegames vs Steam? Purchase

posted by Onkel on - last edited - Viewed by 676 users
As a swede or european customer, what are the pro's and con's with ordering Tales of Monkey Island complete pack from telltalegames vs steam?
I bought it from this site today.
Based on my calculations it's cheaper on telltale
$34.99 (274 SEK) vs 32.99€ (364 SEK or $46,49)

And download speed is faster on Steam.

On steam you doesn't get the DVD edition?
Is each episode released at the same time?

This is just confusing.
24 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I would have loved the dvd, but steam had the payment options i could use so had to buy from there.
  • You're probably better off buying from Telltale's site - one less middle man that way.

But personally I think it's nice that Telltale put their games up on Steam.
    I mean they didn't have to do, but some people just prefer buying games on Steam and it's nice that Telltale support that.
  • And it's cheaper to buy from Telltale. Telltale games on Steam are $34.99, while they're only $34.95 from Telltale directly.
  • I prefer to buy directly from Telltale, too. Another issue is that I have to stay online when playing a game purchased from steam. I don't like that.
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    Gibbeynator;165862 said:
    And it's cheaper to buy from Telltale. Telltale games on Steam are $34.99, while they're only $34.95 from Telltale directly.
    That's the second best comparison I've ever seen :D
  • There's an offline mode for Steam.
  • DjNDB;165873 said:
    That's the second best comparison I've ever seen :D
    Well it depends, if you buy from Europe the picture is quite different... Steam usually does a 1:1 conversion which means a 30-40% price hike over the dollar price. So buying over Telltale directly is way cheaper!
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    werpu;165877 said:
    Well it depends, if you buy from Europe the picture is quite different... Steam usually does a 1:1 conversion which means a 30-40% price hike over the dollar price. So buying over Telltale directly is way cheaper!
    I know, and that's why that $ vs $ comparison was missing the point and funny :p
  • I've read before that I can't activate TMI on Steam (I bought it from TTG).

Do you think this might change in the future?

It would be nice to be able to add TMI to my games (not just add a shortcut).

Maybe the DVD could have an activation key? That would rock my socks off.
  • Get it on Telltale. They have terrific after sales support that will offer you prompt assistance if you meet some technical difficulties *heaven forbid*. Besides, you should give the support to the game-making company fully than to the distro.

I really don't see why you should paying anything to Steam, where you are already here and Telltale doing a mighty fine job distributing it themselves.
Add Comment