Dunk: The Comic Creator

JenniferJennifer Moderator
edited January 2013 in Telltale Comics Discussion
I love where this comic in a comic is going. :)

I loved the bear with antlers (I would love to have one of those shirts that Telltale had printed up :), and I love Gordon's eccentricity.

Gordon in a public park in hockey gear in the middle of summer can't end well. :D

Comments

• David EDavid E Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    For those of you wondering where this week's Dunk comic went; I accidentally put up next week's strip. This week's comic will be going up shortly.

<-- I'm with stupid.
  • edited August 2009
    Where'd all the comments for each strip go? :(
  • edited August 2009
    oldbushie wrote: »
    Where'd all the comments for each strip go? :(

I'm wondering too, I liked reading them.. Better than having to click through to here.. Which people will probably never bother doing...
    edited August 2009
    The strip comments were becoming quite problematic. While it made sense for a while to have comments directly on the comic page, the discussions that took place there were often wildly off-topic and resulted in ugly arguments that weren't remotely related to Graham's comic.

The real cost of having comment threads there started to outweigh the perceived benefits. They were being used by just a handful of people regularly, and those folks often used them for reasons wholly unrelated to the Dank/Dunk comics. It was difficult, time consuming, and unsatisfying to try to rein the discussions in week after week, and it still seemed like folks were more interested in posting just to get their name on a webpage ("first post!", etc.).

So, it made sense to try something different. We'll see how it goes.
  • edited August 2009
    Seems to me that there are now absolutely no comments related to each strip, so is that better?
  • edited August 2009
    Here's a comment: Dunk with a love interest could be interesting.
  • edited August 2009
    I honestly don't think a groupie talk about the entire comic can substitute comments for each issue. Why don't you just ask the kids to play nice or they'll get the boot? I'm sure anyone with enough taste to appreciate Graham's art will have the common sense to understand.
  • edited August 2009
    I guess there isn't really much that can be said about any individual strip though.

Every comment's either going to be stating or quoting exactly what's just happened on the page, people discussing how much they love/hate/are indifferent to the comics, or people racing to be the first/second/214th poster.
  • edited August 2009
    I wouldn't mind if things speed up a little. The story moves a bit too slow for me. You can skip entire strips without loosing anything and that's kinda annoying after a while.
  • edited August 2009
    Yeah, the strip seems far too slow for a once a week update. Apparently there's a big backlog made in advance, so I would've thought 2, maybe even 3 updates a week would be feasible, at least for a while.
    edited August 2009
    Badwolf wrote: »
    Apparently there's a big backlog made in advance...

This might have been true at one point, but right now what goes up on the site is the latest one I've received from Graham, heh. I don't think that Dunk/Dank can be published more frequently, at least in the near term. Sorry!
  • edited August 2009
    Ah right, fair enough. I just remembered it being mentioned a while back.
  • edited August 2009
    I love Dank, but I would love a third comic series (or second, seeing as how the Sam & Max-comic finished quite a while ago). Telltale is full of creative minds, I'm sure you guys can think of something! Maybe a comic leading up to whatever new series you've got cooking backstage, or a Monkey Island sidestory, or just something completely unrelated to anything. I would love to see someone like Ryan Jones create a weekly comic.

I still think Dank deserves his own game. His cameo in Telltale Texas Hold Em wasn't enough!
  • edited August 2009
    .….....where does he show up again? Maybe I'm just terrible at Texas hold 'em, but I don't remember him showing up.
  • edited August 2009
    Every time you win a game, you unlock a new set of card designs. The game then randomly selects a design out of those you have unlocked when new cards get dealed. If I remember correctly, you unlock two Telltale Hold Em logos, four cards with the faces of the other players, four cards with an item related to the four other players (a bottle of poison for Grandma Shaky, iron knuckles for Boris, a bottle of root beer for Harry, and a palmtree on a beach for Dudebrough), a card with mouse, one Dunk-card and two Dank-cards (3D Dank!). I might be forgetting a few unlockable cards, but I think that was it.

Anyway, sorry for going off topic. So yeah, we want more Telltale Comic-goodness!
  • edited August 2009
    Ooh, Dunk has a girl he likes! Or maybe he just likes her burritos. Uh, no innuendo intended.
  • edited August 2009
    HOW DARE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You shouldn't have the right to do this! You should be fired! I don't even know how to send an e-mail, so how can I use this?! I swear to god...! If I get my hands on you! Where's Tobacco when you need him? Where's koiboi when you need him? OUT OF CONTROLL?! I'll show you out of controll! I can't belive you would do this! Who do you think you are?! Mr. Boss-Man?! You can't possiblly have the authority to do this?!

Sincearley,
    Candyman106

P.S. I am homestarrunner.com's biggest fan. :cool:
  • edited August 2009
    Found this on Telltale's Twitter:
    http://twitpic.com/f4q6e - Sneak peek at this week's Dunk comic!

25414790.png?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1251151327&Signature=VNHrjfpNkjbz7fPPHivNi9vV4pw%3D

Who could it be? Looks a bit different than the usual Dunk-characters.

EDIT: Oh wow, guess I was wrong about the mysterious new character. Good old Dunk again. I really like the new character btw!

I still think Dunk/Dank would make for an awesome point & click, what with all the switching between Dunk's real world and his Dank-creations. And the art style is pretty awesome and unique, and seems perfect for the Wii.
  • edited August 2009
    lol, interesting sneak peek.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Aww, poor Mariska. I empathise with her, because I love to cook and no one ever seems to want to eat the new recipes I try, and I end up usually having to eat the whole thing by myself. But when I make my spaghetti sauce there's never any leftovers, since everyone eats it all up.
  • edited September 2009
    Come out and fight like a man, David E!
  • edited September 2009
    Is it just me, or is comic 127 titled as "Dank" when it should be "DUNK"?
    edited September 2009
    Robotguy4 wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is comic 127 titled as "Dank" when it should be "DUNK"?

I have no idea what you're talking about. ;)
    Thanks for pointing it out. It is fixed now.
  • edited October 2009
    Put the comments back!
    edited November 2009
    Ooh, Dank's back!
  • edited November 2009
    Oh man! I had more fun than I should shocking Dank over and over again.
  • edited November 2009
    Stop ignoring me!
  • edited December 2009
    This thread is going to be nothing like what the comments section used to be isn't it.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2009
    mr_nutt wrote: »
    This thread is going to be nothing like what the comments section used to be isn't it.

You're right, in that it won't be a horrible wasteland :)

I just caught up on Dunk/Dank for the first time in a while. I hope if/when it finishes, it ends up becoming a book... somehow.
  • edited December 2009
    Am I like invisible or something?
  • edited January 2010
    I can't see how it can be turned into a flat-page comic book... the sheer coolness of it comes from the little mouse-over animations. Admittedly, it took me probably 20 or 30 comics to figure out that there were mouse over animations, but once I did, and had re-read the comics I'd missed the punchlines on, I realised it was the only way to tell some of the jokes.

And why the jokes were so boring / I didn't get them when I couldn't mouse-over (Wonder if that's the photographer dudes problem? He doesn't mouse over, so doesn't see the jokes? See Issue #133)
  • jmmjmm
    edited February 2010
    Drats. I was actually expecting the future guy to translate Skank in the next strip, but we got Dunk instead.... oh well.

Maybe in a few weeks we'll finally get the translation of "Petrol" or "Solvent" (So we can start making that Skank-English Dictionary)
  • edited February 2010
    LazerFX wrote: »
    I can't see how it can be turned into a flat-page comic book... the sheer coolness of it comes from the little mouse-over animations. Admittedly, it took me probably 20 or 30 comics to figure out that there were mouse over animations, but once I did, and had re-read the comics I'd missed the punchlines on, I realised it was the only way to tell some of the jokes.

That the somehow comment comes in
  • edited February 2010
    150 comics! Congratulations!
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited February 2010
    I love how Dunk's comic has captivated the mind of the park ranger so much that he completely forgot about his line of questioning as to why Gordon is wearing hockey gear in the park. :)

Now that's a fan. :D
  • edited March 2010
    Was there actually a smokiebare28?
  • edited March 2010
    Derwin wrote: »

Oh... I hope not. The guy is now dead!
  • edited March 2010
    I always wondered if artists read awful internet comments. I love how Dunk just wants to let the rage flow.
  • edited March 2010
    Derwin wrote: »

I don't recall the name, but yeah there was some jerk that got commenting disabled. Which is a shame, because some of the individual strip comments were actually funny.
  • edited March 2010
    That comic reminded me this forum even existed. Reading the comments at the bottom was almost as much fun as the comics themselves ;)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.