User Avatar Image

Disney Buys Marvel

posted by Rather Dashing on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users
For $4 Billion.

ABC and Miramax do fine under the Disney umbrella, so I'm not worried about "kiddifiying" or the insertion of other Disney-related aspects into the comics. At least, not as a result of Disney being hard-handed about it.

I'd be worried about business bureaucrats getting in the way of good comics, if it wasn't for the fact that Marvel's current comics have all been editorally-mandated slime. Quesada drove the creative force out of Marvel Comics completely, so honestly there's nowhere to go but up in that regard.

The most affect I forsee is Universal losing their Marvel rides in Florida, and Slave Labor Graphics not getting to continue the awesome Gargoyles comics ever.
41 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • MaxFan;193094 said:
    I had missed the Bad Guys paperback. Grr, people pointing stuff out to me that I end up buying :p
    Heh; it's worth it. Just keep in mind the series is deliberately darker than Gargoyles proper. Even considering that, though, the end of issue #5 will probably make you pause.
  • Brainiac;193413 said:
    Heh; it's worth it. Just keep in mind the series is deliberately darker than Gargoyles proper. Even considering that, though, the end of issue #5 will probably make you pause.
    Oh really? I'm still going to believe it when I see it simply because I've seen people here refer to "Day of the Tentacle" and "Sam and Max" as "dark" or "gritty". But yeah, I've only read the main series proper.
  • Uh, the rides at Universal parks won't disappear. At most, they'll just have their names and stuff changed.
  • Or, Disney starts announcing that they're going to purchase Universal as well ZOMG!!!
  • Rather Dashing;193415 said:
    Oh really? I'm still going to believe it when I see it simply because I've seen people here refer to "Day of the Tentacle" and "Sam and Max" as "dark" or "gritty". But yeah, I've only read the main series proper.
    Trust me. Sam & Max and DotT are neither dark nor gritty. The finale of Issue #5 of Bad Guys is...disturbing, at least. Plus, since Bad Guys was always in B&W (partly to save money, partly due to thematic resonance, and partly to sync up with the infamous Bad Guys leica reel), it's less expensive than the Clan-Building trade paperbacks.
  • I love Disney, and am a big fan of Marvel Comics. I really didn't see this merger coming. I just hope that Disney will leave Marvel's stuff alone and not change the way Marvel's comics, tv shows, movies, toys and/or characters are portrayed.
  • Mack Daddy;193527 said:
    I just hope that Disney will leave Marvel's stuff alone
    "LEAVE MARVEL ALONE!"
  • GaryCXJk;192773 said:
    Sure they sugar-coat it as being deleted
    I would hate to see Deadpool turned into Deletepool
  • Darkblade07;193591 said:
    I would hate to see Deadpool turned into Deletepool
    Hey, "Delete" can be quite frightening. Just look at Death Note and Doctor Who.
Add Comment