User Avatar Image

More remakes to come from LucasArts

posted by Thespis on - last edited - Viewed by 2.4K users
LucasArts plans more retro remakes
LucasArts' president Darrell Rodriguez has confirmed that LucasArts will be making many more remakes of games from it's back catalogue, based on the success of Monkey Island: SE.

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition was a remake and re-release of one of LucasArts' most loved games, complete with new audio and graphical options. It was released across the PC, Xbox 360 and iPhone and seems to have done well enough that LucasArts is now ramping up production of other remakes.

"We plan to do much more of this, both on Steam and iPhone and other platforms in the future," Rodriguez told GameTrailers.tv.

Rodriguez also unveiled that next week will see the re-release of the Jedi Knight series over Steam, expanding on the selection of retro games that are currently available on Steam in their original form.

Rodriguez also commented that LucasArts had definitely considered making sequels to some of the under-represented games, such as Fate of Atlantis and Grim Fandango.

"One of the great opportunities working here is to be able to meet some of the legends--to meet Tim Schafer, to meet Larry Holland (X-Wing, TIE Fighter), to meet Dave Grossman or Ron Gilbert ," he teased. "Wouldn't it be great to work with them on new things?"

Most of those folks famously left LucasArts a while back though when it became clear that the company wasn't much interested in anything but Star Wars games. Gilbert is currently working on DeathSpank for Hothead Games, while Grossman continues the Sam and Max and Monkey Island games at TellTale Games and Schafer is about to release Brutal Legend from his own studio, Double Fine.
86 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Grim Fandango HD for my 360 would be sweet. I bet that game plays much nicer with a controller, much like Escape from Monkey Island did on the PS2.

Also LeChuck's Revenge SE.
  • Grim Fandango HD would be awesome, with updated 3D. And change of controllers or a choice of them?

Good news anyway!
  • MI2:SE would be excellent.
  • wefeelgroove;197196 said:
    I would settle for ANY kind of rerelease of Grim Fandango, just so long as it can run in XP without crashing every fifteen minutes.
    It runs fine on XP for me with no crashes whatsoever.

Have you used the custom launcher?

And disabling directdraw?
  • Woo! Lucasarts, I'm starting to love you again!
  • More a confirmation than an announcement!

And with ttg presumably expanding their catalogue with the revenue made from tmi, we are looking at a very bright future!

Let the festivities begin!!
  • Pale Man;197169 said:
    You should have started this post with "Good news everyone!"
    Laserschwert;197175 said:
    Personally, I would have gone with "It looks like one of my care packages to LucasArts got delivered..."

image image

In any case, I'd love a new Indy adventure game and a new Maniac Mansion game (not a new Day of the Tentacle game - personal gripe), Special Editions of Loom and MI2 (maybe Zak, too), and maybe even the rebirth of Forge and The Fold. Full Throttle I'm inclined to let go unless they can find someone who can pull off Ben's voice as well as Roy Conrad did. As to The Dig, I honestly think technology has reached the point that Spielberg could get the movie he originally wanted for that title; that's what I'd like to see.
  • CMI, Full Throttle and The Dig do not need remakes. A remake of Fate of Atlantis would be amazing, it my personal fav in the genre. A remake of MI2 is a must to round out the series, so that each installment has voice acting and good graphics.
  • Linque;197142 said:
    Even better, does this mean a Grim Fandango SE?
    Grim Fandango already looks and sounds relatively all right, I don't see what benefits SE could give. Another game set into same world could be fun though.

Day of the Tentacle SE could be cool, because I never completed the first one. Labyrinth, Zak and Maniac Mansions are only LA adventures I don't have.
  • Olaus Petrus;197437 said:
    I don't see what benefits SE could give.
    Could fix the sped-up puzzles, if nothing else. Of course, then it'd just be a re-release, but that's good enough for me.
Add Comment