Should Clem eventually die?

Personally, I believe that eventually, whether it be in S3 Ep5, or in the very last episode of TWDG, Clem should die.

I know people will think I'm crazy and all but I truly think that Clem dying would be make the best ending. Yes, some (lots of) people would get pissed off and complain and do what keyboard warriors do best. However I think that this would help make the most dramatic, emotional and memorable ending, allowing us to remember the game for the rest of our lives.

I'm not exactly saying that Clem HAS to die to make the game memorable, but it would really separate it from the crowd. And of course, her death should be very heroic and honourable, like Kenny's 'death' in Season 1.

It would really annoy me if they choose to do a really cheesy/predictable/boring ending to the game, e.g. They find the cure, Clem and AJ find a stable civilisation and live happily ever after.

If Clem dies however? That would be beast!
btw don't get the idea that I hate Clem; she's one of my favourite characters.

Comments

• If done right, any character can die without making the fans rage. A good example is what happened in the latest Star Wars.

Now, about finding the cure, it can't happen unless it happens in the comics. I fell behind the story a little I admit, but as far as I know, there isn't a cure yet, but anyone up to date feel free to correct me.

She could find another community, one with leaders who are not psychos, but we know very well that these are not very common and even then the way the future of her in that community will be left open. She could keep travelling alone, but this would leave her story open too. I don't think she must die, but it is a way to finish her story, so maybe that's what will happen.

• I just can't help but see that as an annoying end to her story.

• edited March 2016

Yes, because killing off Clementine is soooo unpredictable (sarcasm). In seriousness if Clementine dies, it would be super predictable, let a character be alive to the end for once.

• I'm against having Clementine die. Sure, you can make a good story when the main character does (like Lee), but that's the entire reason Clementine shouldn't die. We already played through a game where the playable character death was satisfying because we ensured her survival. Protecting her was the whole point of the game. When Clementine dies, that sort of cheapens the great original story in the first place. Upon later playthroughs, people may not see the point in playing season one if they know in the end both Lee and Clem die. It's also part of the reason I don't think Carl should die in the show/comics, they represent hope that carries the main character.

• Way too predictable. If done the right way, maybe. I'm against the idea, not because I'll be pissed, only because that's such a boring route to go.

• If she dies the series would have to end imidiately, since there would be no actual story that started from season one and justified a next season...

• unless clem has the same plot armor as rick. yes

people will complain some may leave the series forever but clem should not have plot armror it's really stupid to have it in an " any one can die series". i'm looking at you mikasa from attack on titan.

now am i saying she should die in seaosn 3? of course not just it will happen eventually.

• If she does die, it should probably be a very dramatic surprise.

• If she does, she better have a good sendoff and not that bullshit that they did with Nick.

• What do you mean when you say "she better have a good sendoff and not that bullshit that they did with Nick."?

ralo229 posted: »

If she does, she better have a good sendoff and not that bullshit that they did with Nick.

• I mean if they do decide to kill her off, "They should make sure that she dies fighting or with dignity and respect and not give them the treatment they did with Nick, where they just killed him off just for the sake of shock value."

Menofthe214 posted: »

What do you mean when you say "she better have a good sendoff and not that bullshit that they did with Nick."?

• The thing is, for a playable character, story based game, the only way Clem could die without it being weird and sudden would be if she were to be bit. But they already did that with Lee, so that would just be unoriginal.

If Clem died a heroic sacrifice like Kenny "did" in season 1, but she were to acctualy die, then it would just be, "Okay, games over, Clem just saved a friend, go home."

• They do that to many characters, in many games. It is unfortunate.

But they didn't do that to a protagonist in any of the TellTale games I played. All protagonists' deaths were done well, in my opinion (the consequences and the events that led them to their deaths, not so much).

ralo229 posted: »

I mean if they do decide to kill her off, "They should make sure that she dies fighting or with dignity and respect and not give them the treatment they did with Nick, where they just killed him off just for the sake of shock value."

• i think she shouldnt not die. Robert Kirkman always says how he doesnt like how George Romero's stories always end with the characters dieing. with that said i think it would be more interesting if you just didnt know what came of her. like Molly in Crawford or in the series when Morales takes off with his family.

thats way they are still considered alive unless another characters POV says other wise. like when martinez tells the Gov about shumpert getting bit on the roof of the RV.

i personally believe that Kenny / Jane could still be alive.

if she was going to die i would like to see her go out like lee did. trying to help someone and making a sacrifice for the greater good.

• Clem die is also pretty much predictable.

• If she does die I would like it to mirror Lee's death.

They could make the ending a choice. Like maybe Clem sacrifices herself for someone or she leaves them to die so she can live. This way it fits the different ways people played the game. Was she a hardened survivalist or did she retain her compassion???

• edited March 2016

I don't think Clem should die at all. If that were to happen, everything you ever did, from the very beginning of A New Day, would seem like wasted potential. And everything Lee did to protect her and everything she did to survive, would be in vain.

I would be much happier with an ending like Clementine's alone ending in Season 2. Or maybe something like the end of the film The Grey at the end of a conflict. To see what you make of it.

Of course this is all assuming that we don't get multiple endings for Clementine's adventure, which I assume we will.

• edited March 2016

Like others have said, waaaaay too predictable and I know how much Telltale loves the element of surprise.

I wouldn't say that it'd be a boring ending to find a cure and save both Clementine and AJ but hey, to each its own. I do enjoy happy endings to stories that seem absolutely hopeless. It makes me feel like everyone that had died in Season 1 and 2 wasn't in vain. That there is a light at the end of the tunnel, y'know?

• edited March 2016

I actually think Clem should be one of those characters that doesn't actually die. Would love to see the story move beyond her but the way they have things set up is Clem story is still not really done yet. Which makes me scared because they may view the only way of ending her story is killing her off.

• [removed]

• 400 days? Michonne?

They could easily do more after clementine, still it would start to be stale

Romaoplays posted: »

If she dies the series would have to end imidiately, since there would be no actual story that started from season one and justified a next season...

• I like this guy! Let's hire him for all of Telltale's shit! That sounds fucking fun!

• Of course. All we are is dust in the wind.

• Yes she must die, in the most horrible way too. Her head should be splattered by some sadistic contraption with some of her bits splashing towards us as in the 3d effect and the camera should angle to her gaping and jagged neck so we could see her innards....now that will make for an unpredictable finish!

Clementine:

enter image description here

• Watch your mouth Clem.

Lilacsbloom posted: »

Yes she must die, in the most horrible way too. Her head should be splattered by some sadistic contraption with some of her bits s

• edited March 2016

The only way I can see that happen and have actual value—and even then it will be predictable—would be by saving a character who is also a doctor, or someone in the medical field, particularly if there are wounded people in the group. I wouldn't lay out out as if Clem sacrificed herself for them though. Instead, I'd have her save them in a QTE and getting bitten severely, so that people expect a "you died" pop-up message, only to realize that it is canon. Then, Clem has some final moments with the surrounding characters as she struggles to stay conscious, to no avail, and drifts to sleep.

I'd rather have her survive.

• I think Clem should end up being determinant. That would make sense

• And her head :S

Watch your mouth Clem.

• edited March 2016

I absolutely adore Clementine from the game. However this franchise is based around the dead and folks dying left and right yet the notion that Clementine alone should be the only one to survive until the very end does not sound logical nor likely in that type of world..probably only to those that like the character but that is when most series gets messed up when the creators start listening to fans highly ridiculous and improbable plot wishes and allowing that to alternatively mold the story in a weird way like with bringing Kenny back though it was highly unlikely and other franchises like dragon-ball.

Realistically in the walking dead Clementine will most likely be taken down somehow, someway be it by bandits raiding the current camp, a fellow group member, enemy survivor or accidentally ripped to shreds from a incoming herd. The author/creator said even Rick Grimes isn't safe...if Kirkman was serious then what makes Clementine and Daryl Dixon safe?

Clementine ought to have at least about a 75% chance of dying by the season 3 finale or maybe season 4 premiere if they get that far I wish. My only hope is she doesn't get rubbed out the Omid, Pete, Nick, Sarah, or Luke style.

So yes in response to your question she should die if staying true to the atmosphere of walking dead. with folks becoming dead. Now if Clem were in Game Of Thrones she might have slightly better odds depending on what family she was born into I guess.

• Kenny coming back did feel like fan-service. Realistically, Clem should be dead long ago; story-wise, she should continue being alive.

Ladariel posted: »

I absolutely adore Clementine from the game. However this franchise is based around the dead and folks dying left and right yet th

• I can see it happen, though I'm not particularly keen to have such ending

• I want to say it was 9 times out of 10 fan service because he was originally suppose to die at the alley with Ben but folks loved his character and I guess including myself but I'm not blind to the fact making him reappear didn't make much sense even though I was delighted to see him again when I first played through a house divided.

Realistically, Clem should be dead long ago; story-wise, she should continue being alive.

If she is still player character next season yes she should continue alive. If she is not and demoted to being a side character again or NOT one of multiple player characters, then I believe her episodes will probably be numbered.

Kenny coming back did feel like fan-service. Realistically, Clem should be dead long ago; story-wise, she should continue being alive.

• These are "extra" content for the main series, the game has always been centered on Clementine.

400 days? Michonne? They could easily do more after clementine, still it would start to be stale

• That was the answer I was looking for! All these guys are replying that Clem dying would be predictable. LOL. Clem should have died Season 1 Episode 1, but of course she didn't cos that would have ruined the plot. At this rate I'm not even going to worry if Clem is in danger in Season 3, cos I know that she will not die.

M

Ladariel posted: »

I absolutely adore Clementine from the game. However this franchise is based around the dead and folks dying left and right yet th

• Exactly! Clem IS the story.

I actually think Clem should be one of those characters that doesn't actually die. Would love to see the story move beyond her but

• To be honest, I think it would be better if Clementine died or lived depending on the previous choices she makes, I don't think there's any need for her to die but at the same time it could be a good way to finish the series if they do it right, I think having Clementine become determinant in the end could be the best option, just my opinion though.

• edited March 2016

Saying that Clem dying would make S1 and S2 pointless doesn't make any sense.

• It would make no sense for her suddenly dying in season 3, when she could have died in season 1 (just noticed the guy above me posted the same thing). Anyways, If Lee survived, it would have made sense for Clem to die. That's my opinion anyway.

• Heroically dying in the last ever episode of TWDG is sudden for you?

It would make no sense for her suddenly dying in season 3, when she could have died in season 1 (just noticed the guy above me posted the same thing). Anyways, If Lee survived, it would have made sense for Clem to die. That's my opinion anyway.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.