User Avatar Image

Monkey Island on the cover of Retro Gamer

posted by Kaladron on - last edited - Viewed by 4.7K users

There's a story about this on the Telltale Buzz today but I was a bit concerned that many of you would have missed it. Retro Gamer magazine has just released issue 70 and it's a Monkey Island special. LeChuck is on the cover as you can see and the inside features an 8-page history of the series and brand new interviews with Ron Gilbert, Steve Purcell and Dave Grossman.

UK readers will find the mag in just about any newsagents, while overseas readers can buy a copy from here. And I highly recommend that you do. I mean, how often do you see Monkey Island on a magazine cover these days?
105 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Darth Marsden;228160 said:
    I picked up the magazine today, and I have to say, it's a nice issue! I only tend to grab Retro Gamer when I see there's something inside I'll find interesting (like, say, System Shock 2... god I love that game), so when I heard the latest issue had Monkey Island in it, I felt I should give it a go. Certainly glad I did.

That said... one thing I feel I, as an informed fan of the series, should point out is on page 33, in the 'Interface Evolution' sidebar. Under Escape From Monkey Island, you say, and I quote:

Can you see what you did wrong there? Otherwise, it's a great little 8 pages.
    My God. I wrote the piece and here's what I submitted to the magazine.

ESCAPE FROM MONKEY ISLAND
    The first 3D game in the series, Escape abandoned point-and-click in favour of direct control. Users simply moved Guybrush with a joystick or pad and when he came into contact with an object that could be interacted with then a number of options would present themselves in text form.
    I guess the sub-editor changed the text to fit the limited amount of space and made some mistakes in the process. I'm quite annoyed about it, to be honest, and will be having words on Monday.
  • They just shipped my magazine today, after a whole week. They are slow. I will think twice before ordering from them.
  • User Avatar Image
    Bas
    Still waiting for mine. Maybe if it's good I'll pick up a subscription.
  • Two weeks and not received it yet!
  • Kaladron;229104 said:
    I guess the sub-editor changed the text to fit the limited amount of space and made some mistakes in the process. I'm quite annoyed about it, to be honest, and will be having words on Monday.
    Hey, at least it wasn't your fault. I've had a similar experience with my Ben & Dan review for the Escapist, so I know what it's like.
  • User Avatar Image
    Bas
    How are they shipping this, by horse and carriage through the Channel Tunnel? How can it possibly take so long?

Edit: the day I decide to start complaining about this, it arrives. Looks like an interesting piece on MI. Can't wait to dig in.
  • I also received it today but 2 weeks is ridiculous. I order books from UK and they come in 2 days.
  • I picked this issue up at a local Barnes & Noble today (I'm in mid-Michigan). $8.99 with a 10% off coupon.
  • I picked it up a couple of weeks back. It's a shame the feature was small (well, six pages, but still) considering the fact they had five-nine games to discuss. Still, it was a decent read. I wasn't so keen on the rest of the magazine though.
  • I still haven't gotten the issue and I really don't want to buy it online for extra since I've got discounts for B&N and everything, but someone mentioned they saw the issue over there, so I'll probably go check it out AGAIN. (I must have passed by the magazines section at B&N 3 times within 6 weeks and it's still the Final Fantasy issue :I)
Add Comment