User Avatar Image

All of my Sam and Max game son Steam crash

posted by Levybreak on - last edited - Viewed by 861 users
I just bought the Sam and Max complete pack on steam the other day, and to my surprise, every single Sam and Max game crashes on startup. I have no idea why this would happen, especially since a long time ago i downloaded S1 Ep4 and it worked fine. I looked through the telltale forums and steam support, and failed to see any problem like this. To be precise about the crashes, All the Season 1 games I click "Launch" and then immediately after steam's launching dialog closes I get the standard XP "Application has stopped working" dialog. With all the season 2 games my screen just flashes black and then back to normal, no game, no error. Any ideas?

Windows XP 32 bit
nVidia GeForce 6150 LE (getting a new card sometime in the next week)
2GB DDR2 RAM
25 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    Is your display color depth set to 32 bit?
  • DjNDB;249784 said:
    Is your display color depth set to 32 bit?
    Yes, it is.
  • Have you tried updating your drivers?

Sorry, kinda obvious, but I can't think of anything.
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    The Spoony Hou;249847 said:
    Have you tried updating your drivers?
    Same goes for your DirectX and Internet Explorer.

If nothing so far helps please give us a dxdiag log.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a message.
  • Yeah, my drivers are updated, updating IE was something I tried after reading these forums and that didn't fix it, but yes it's updated, and my DirectX is indeed updated. (9.0c, I think) So I've attached the DxDiag info you've asked for.
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    Okay, there are some things you can try.
    Update your Realtek HDA drivers and disconnect all USB devices except keyboard and mouse. Especially the gamepad and Headset.
  • DjNDB;249963 said:
    Okay, there are some things you can try.
    Update your Realtek HDA drivers and disconnect all USB devices except keyboard and mouse. Especially the gamepad and Headset.
    I updated with those drivers and tried unplugging all my stuff, and it still doesn't work.
  • User Avatar Image
    Jake Telltale Alumni
    Have you written into [email]support@telltalegames.com[/email] ? Support staff should be back full time starting Monday (tomorrow).
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    Okay, let's try a different approach.

Have you verified your game cache files?
    Levybreak;249771 said:
    I have no idea why this would happen, especially since a long time ago i downloaded S1 Ep4 and it worked fine.
    How long ago was that and what has changed in your system since then?
    One thing that obviously changed is your graphics driver, or did you just update that?
    You could try an older version from around the time it worked from Nvidias Driver Archive.
    Levybreak;249771 said:

nVidia GeForce 6150 LE (getting a new card sometime in the next week)
    2GB DDR2 RAM
    It is possible that the problem just vanishes when you install the new card.
  • Alright, I got a new graphics card (and motherboard and CPU since it didn't work in the old board), and it STILL doesn't work, and with the same problem! This would lead me to believe that it is some kind of software problem or something, no?
This discussion has been closed.