User Avatar Image

Obligatory Control Scheme Poll

posted by SHODANFreeman on - last edited - Viewed by 868 users
Due to the constant discussion of control schemes, I figured it was time to have a poll to see what people think of the various methods.

If you feel your opinion isn't adequately represented in the poll options, feel free to comment.

For anyone unfamiliar with the terminology in the poll:

WASD: Direct control via keyboard
C&D: Click and drag
P&C: Point and click
42 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I don't care either way. Both are good.

I definitely remember wanting direct control when I was eight, though. It felt more immersive to me.
  • I voted that they're all the same to me but actually I really just like both of them.
  • Whoops, I didn't read carefully enough. I want to vote for the P&C option!

(I'm on a Mac... keyboards scare me... especially my Macbook one... it glows... must be some form of voodoo.)
  • that's just Steve Jobs monitoring our every keystroke.
  • I like point & click best, but I don't mind the others.
  • I prefer the classic point and click. Even in ToMI I'd find myself walking Guybrush juuuust close enough to an object for it to become clickable and then clicking it to make him walk the rest of the way.

But I understand why they switched to WASD and if it means more games that looked as good as Wallace & Gromit and Tales of Monkey Island, I say WASD away!
  • BlankCanvasDJ;267981 said:
    I prefer the classic point and click. Even in ToMI I'd find myself walking Guybrush juuuust close enough to an object for it to become clickable and then clicking it to make him walk the rest of the way.
    You don't have to be close to an item to automatically walk to it when you click on it, it just has to be on screen.
  • Woo, no middle of the road option!

I like WASD better, but I don't think P&C is obsolete in the slightest. Lots of current and great games prove that it's a good control system, but I feel a bit more in control when I have WASD regardless of its shortcomings/differences.
  • BlankCanvasDJ;267981 said:
    I prefer the classic point and click. Even in ToMI I'd find myself walking Guybrush juuuust close enough to an object for it to become clickable and then clicking it to make him walk the rest of the way.
    I started to do that when I discovered I can make him run doing that. I thought I walked way too slow with the WASD.
Add Comment