User Avatar Image

The Silver Lining thread

posted by Mike Haley on - last edited - Viewed by 8.5K users
Nobody else has posted this, so...

It looks like The Silver Lining (formerly known as King's Quest IX: Every Cloak Has a Silver Lining) will finally be released in Summer 2009. That is, if Vivindi Games (now merged with Activision) doesn't sit on its royal ass during the approval process. Unfortunately, only the first two chapters of The Silver Lining will be released. The remaining chapters (3-9) will most likely never see the light of day. According to the team, it would take 10 or more years to complete them without proper funding, which even if they had, would put their fan license in jeopardy.

It would be interesting to see if they ultimately decide to release the remaining chapters one at a time over the next few years. I hear that episodic gaming is doing fairly well...

http://www.tsl-game.com/journal/special/

Now, I just wish that SQ7.org would receive permission from Vivindi Games to be completed.
301 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Daughter getting kidnapped? You think that's dark? That's nothing. I'd even accept that if that's all it was. No, it goes deeper and darker. Twisted dark.
  • MusicallyInspired;283755 said:
    Daughter getting kidnapped? You think that's dark? That's nothing. I'd even accept that if that's all it was. No, it goes deeper and darker. Twisted dark.
    No no, I wasn't saying Graham's daughter being kidnapped was dark, I was merely mentioning that Graham acts all mopey about it, when yet his whole family has been kidnapped in the past and he stayed quite positive his whole adventure in KQ5. Just noticing some inconsistency in Graham's character in TSL is all :p
  • names_are_useless;283745 said:
    I've had my own ideas of how the series should end, and I hope that TSL's is even half as epic as I'd imagine they should be.

I only played part of the demo, but I don't know what anyone means by "how the series should end."

Truth be told, I never played KQ8:Mask of Eternity. I've heard too many bad things about it, not to mention seen plenty of depressing screenshots.

From where I'm standing only the point and click (and parser) KQ games count, and as such, the series (without TSL) ends with Graham having many years ahead of him, thanks to some magic fruit, and both of his children move away and get married, intending to start families of their own. Happily Ever After: The End. Where's the need for wrapping things up further?
  • MOE gets too much flak. It's a great game on its own. It's just a very weak King's Quest title.
  • MusicallyInspired;284317 said:
    MOE gets too much flak. It's a great game on its own. It's just a very weak King's Quest title.
    Just so you know, I actually enjoyed Mask of Eternity as more of a standalone title. Its just that it was considered a King's Quest game, and the last one at that. Also the game suffered severely for being an incomplete game. It could have turned out A LOT better imo.

Oh, and just so you all know, TSL might not officially be dead yet! Still, the KQ rights always has the chance of changing companies again before TSL is released and the new company will issue a cease and desist ... its an Ouroboros, a dragon that eats its own tail, a never-ending cycle :(
  • What's happening at The Silver Lining's website? http://www.tsl-game.com
  • change apparently.... I wonder what it means.
  • ActiVision mentioned a couple months ago it had reopened negotiations for release of the game.
Add Comment