User Avatar Image

Q&A With the Design Team

posted by Chuck on - last edited - Viewed by 12.3K users
Hello, honorary Freelance Police! Thanks for pre-ordering the game.

I'm Chuck Jordan, designer and writer of "The Penal Zone", the first episode of "The Devil's Playhouse." I'm also the guy responsible for making sure all the season's stories fit together in some semblance of order.

This thread is for your questions about the new season, as well as "Beyond Time and Space" and "Save the World," and general Sam & Max design-type stuff. I'll be starting out, and as we go on I'll try to rope in the other designers: Mike Stemmle, Andy Hartzell, Joe Pinney, and Dave Grossman.

I'll be answering your questions whenever I've got the time & know-how, with a super-bonus semi-live Q&A today (Monday Mar 15) from 2-3 PM.

So ask away!
479 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • This has probably been asked many times before, but is 'The Devil's Playhouse' also going to be released for the Xbox 360 on Xbox Live Arcade?
  • The narrator talks about Sam&Maxs psychic powers.Does that means that Sam regains his prismatologic powers?
  • I just love the new enhanced look of Sam and Max but unbfortunetely I can' play the game on graphic level 9 because my PC ist too slow. So I have just one simple question: what does each graphic level stand for (I figured out that on level 7 the shadows are added - but what are the others for?). What do I miss on - let's say level 4?
  • MarkoH01;289280 said:
    I just love the new enhanced look of Sam and Max but unbfortunetely I can' play the game on graphic level 9 because my PC ist too slow. So I have just one simple question: what does each graphic level stand for (I figured out that on level 7 the shadows are added - but what are the others for?). What do I miss on - let's say level 4?
    I can't speak for Level 4, but I'm playing on Level 3, and what I'm missing is the following:

~accurate self-shadowing on character models (most noticeable when characters walk from a dark area to a bright area)

~Real Time Shadows (but that's a given)

~Glows and reflections (most noticeable on Superball's glasses)

~Focus Blurs (Which I've only seen on HD YouTube videos)
  • I´m in Graphic Quality 7. I´ve think I´ve got all of the above, but can someone check what I´m missing? Because I can't really see much of a difference, except in performance.
  • Can you see the fabric weavings in Sam's jacket?
  • Yes, but I just realised that I had it on 8 the whole time, instead of 7.
    I'm playing at 800x600 though, that way I get most of the special effects.
    I actually made 2 screenshots, one of graphic setting 8 and one of 9, and I could tell no difference whatsoever.
  • Hi!

What is this thing which is in the hand of the use-icon in Sam&Max S3 or Hit the Road exactly?
  • It's a variation on the "Martian Popping Thing" (I had to google "stress squeeze toy" to find it). It's like a stress ball, you squeeze it and its face pops out.
Add Comment