User Avatar Image

Books: a literary discussion

posted by Rather Dashing on - last edited - Viewed by 7.2K users
[CENTER]image[/CENTER]

So I've been eying and lusting after a nook and its fancy new 1.3 firmware even though I know I can't afford one. And all that looking at something meant to read books made me think about...BOOKS.

Let's talk about books. Anybody read anything recent that was really good? Have an obscure old favorite?

Where do you read books? When do you read them? What books do you read? How do you read books?

Etc and so forth.

If it involves books, say it. I'd like some good recommendations on recently published books and currently running ongoing series, too.

My favorite book of all time is Dumas's "Count of Monte Cristo"(or at least the unabridged English translation), though I of course love the geek standbys as well(Hitchhiker's Guide, Neuromancer, Slaughterhouse-Five, Snow Crash, et all). I also have Star Wars books as somewhat of a guilty pleasure.

Also, this isn't the thread about pictures of boobs. There shouldn't be pictures of boobs in this thread.

...unless it's a picture of a book that just HAPPENS to contain boobs. Because then it's absolutely on-topic and worthy of discussion.

SO.

BOOKS.
268 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Alcoremortis;298816 said:
    Hmmm.... my favorite manga would probably have to be FullMetal Alchemist. The art, the humor, the story are all so perfect. Also, I feel a special bond towards alchemy, what with being a biochemistry major and all.
    Yeah, this is the same for me. Plus the themes and actual character development is really really good. The series is criticized for being too melodramatic, but that tends to come with a complex character story. I'm just happy some idiot hasn't come in yet and said "durr manga has t3h dumbs manga is not t3h l33terary like Plato durr hurr".
  • I dunno, I was actually looking for...um, short stories and novels. Doesn't mean that I don't like them, or that I won't discuss them, but it's definitely not exactly what I was looking for. It's fine within the context of an overall book discussion, I guess, I just hope this doesn't become "Manga: A Japanophile Discussion", because honestly I don't get much enjoyment from the stuff that's popular these days.
  • Rather Dashing;298828 said:
    I just hope this doesn't become "Manga: A Japanophile Discussion", because honestly I don't get much enjoyment from the stuff that's popular these days.
    Manga isn't quite as popular as some really awful books--coughTwilightcough--

That's why there are anime nerds.

But yes, I agree with the sticking with books. Anyone read Apuleius' The Golden Ass? It's quite fantastic for a two thousand year old book.
  • Yeah, I thought this was going to be a thread about... textual fiction? Or even non-fiction I guess, but I'd think sequential art would deserve its own separate thread.
    Not that I have a problem with people sharing their favourites or anything, but if we do do a book club kinda-thing, I'm assuming it will have to be with text-only books, be it at least for copyright reasons.

Speaking of which, how many people were in, again?
  • Avistew;298834 said:
    Speaking of which, how many people were in, again?
    I dunno. Depends on what we'd be reading I guess?
  • I'm all for giving it a try.
  • Okay. Now to decide how we select a book :p
  • Avistew;298847 said:
    Okay. Now to decide how we select a book :p
    As a 10 year-old, I'd do this by finding the one with a spaceship on the cover. Or an explosion. Or an alien planet.

Incidentally, this is pathetically similar to my current criteria.
  • Rather Dashing;298852 said:
    As a 10 year-old, I'd do this by finding the one with a spaceship on the cover. Or an explosion. Or an alien planet.

Incidentally, this is pathetically similar to my current criteria.
    You forgot flaming skulls.
Add Comment