User Avatar Image

The Hidden People

posted by Ne0n on - last edited - Viewed by 3.3K users
By the look of the posted screenshots/videos and user comments, the hidden people are refered to as the Huldufólk, creatures from icelandic folklore.

Being from Norway, I agree that they could be based on the Huldufólk, but looking at the pictures posted, I would say they are a combination of icelandic and scandinavian folklore. Iceland was a part of Norway until 600 years ago, so no big wonder why they should have common folklore.

In scandinavian folklore, we call the creature a "Nisse"(Norway & Denmark) or "Tomte" (Sweden).
They are small creatures, always hiding from humans, and often living on lofts in farms/houses, or more rarely in the forest. They like to live undisturbed, and can cause damage if not respected by humans.

In the Grickle-video "Hidden people", the scenario is a bit scary. Nisser is not seen as the most scary creatures in nordic folklore, but we have some other creepy ones:

Nøkken:
He is a underworld creature, lives in ponds/lakes and tries to drown people or animals by attracting them with spell-music, or by luring them in other ways. It is said that you can hear his terrifying and tearful screams right before suicides or deaths.
Pregnant or young women, and unbaptized infants are prefered victims.

Troll:
They are evil, ugly, strong human-like creatures. They appear after sunset, and in the night they kill and plunder. Some trolls steal human babies from their beds, and sometimes exchange them with their own ugly offsprings.

imageimageimage

There are several other creatures in nordic folklore, you can watch a video of some here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-BVowBzVOo

I actually hope the Pilot game is as creepy as the "Hidden People"-video, and I think it would be an interesting step for Telltale.
33 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
    This actually looks like something Annable used as reference for his design of the Hidden People. Trolls actually play a big part in a game I'm working on as well. It would be great if stuff like this actually existed; it would make things so much more interesting.

Oh, and hey it's May 4th!
  • Ne0n;300139 said:
    By the look of the posted screenshots/videos and user comments, the hidden people are refered to as the Huldufólk, creatures from icelandic folklore.
    That was me.

Too much Lazy Town, to be fair.
  • GinnyN;300219 said:
    That was me.

Too much Lazy Town, to be fair.
    You are in no way uncorrect by calling them Huldufólk, because of the similarity between the folklores. ;)

Secret Fawful: Cool! Do the game-project have any title?
  • Ne0n;300139 said:

Nøkken:
    He is a underworld creature, lives in ponds/lakes and tries to drown people or animals by attracting them with spell-music, or by luring them in other ways. It is said that you can hear his terrifying and tearful screams right before suicides or deaths.
    Pregnant or young women, and unbaptized infants are prefered victims.

Who the hell made up that crap? Were they on drugs or something when they thought up about that?? Dear lord, folklore gets creepier in every culture!
  • splash1: Hahah, yeah one can only wonder. I think one reason was to scare kids from walking near lakes alone. I would guess Christianity was part of shaping the folklores too, scaring parents to baptise their children with fear-stories.

A lot of folklores/mythologies are also created to explain certain things, for example if a lost child was last seen at a lake, but no body was found, one would guess that Nøkken had taken him.
  • Folklore are often cautionary tales.... Like stay the heck away from water kid or you will die!!!

Or be good or Santa will not make you toys!
  • Ne0n;300458 said:

A lot of folklores/mythologies are also created to explain certain things, for example if a lost child was last seen at a lake, but no body was found, one would guess that Nøkken had taken him.
    Why couldn't they just say: "Oh, yeah; your kid fell in the lake so go and mourn for 1/2 days."?
    Telling horror stories to your four year old about a lake creature that plays a guitar till you decide to jump in, is a good reason why people today are mentally ill.
  • splash1;300453 said:
    Who the hell made up that crap? Were they on drugs or something when they thought up about that?? Dear lord, folklore gets creepier in every culture!
    I know, right? I know one culture that has this omnipotent and omniscient being that kills 70,000 innocent civilians because one guy took a census, or forces a rapist and his victim to marry...unless she's "set to be married", in which case she should be stoned to death with her rapist.

Folklore is CREEPY.
  • splash1;300453 said:
    And that's exactly what makes it so fascinating. :D
  • Rather Dashing;300467 said:
    I know, right? I know one culture that has this omnipotent and omniscient being that kills 70,000 innocent civilians because one guy took a census, or forces a rapist and his victim to marry...unless she's "set to be married", in which case she should be stoned to death with her rapist.

Folklore is CREEPY.
    Which is why I find it amusing that some of my uber religious friends are allowed to read the Bible, but not good modern literature because "it is full of sin."
Add Comment