User Avatar Image

Awesome mom, stuffed Max (lots of pictures)

posted by Didero on - last edited - Viewed by 698 users
My mother is awesome.

About two weeks ago, I showed my mother Avistew's stuffed Max. Knowing she crochets from time to time, I jokingly asked if she could make something like that, entirely expecting her to say she didn't have time for that or didn't want to, since she's only vaguely aware of Sam & Max. To my surprise, she said "I don't know, but I could try". I asked if she was serious, and she was. Woo!

So she bought thread, and I looked up and made screenshots of Max from all possible sides as reference pictures. She started working on the different body parts when she had time, expecting it to take at least a month.

But there we were this morning, not two weeks since she started, with all the parts done:
You can already see the basic shape here.
The pink circles are the ones Max has at the bottom of his feet.

Along with cotton, my mother had also bought a big bag of stuffing, so she got to work on filling out the different parts. When they were stuffed she added the pink in the ears and on the bottom of the feet:

Then, all that remained was sewing the different parts together
and adding a face.
The mouth was the hardest part to add. It's hard to show the edge of the mouth, since the most obvious choice, white, doesn't show at all. So she settled for pink.

Max was nice enough to pose:

Though it wasn't long until he started acting, well, Max-like:
But that does show he also has a tail.

You can imagine why I wanted to brag here about this :)
I know I could've posted this in the 'Fan Art' thread, but I thought it deserved its own topic.

Also, Max says 'hi':
28 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Darn, that looks so huggable!

Does your mom take commissions on these? :D Either way, that's really awesome!
  • Joop;300016 said:
    You're mom's awesome!
    I want one!
    I agree!
    Except for the wanting part, of course, since I've already got one :p
    Trica;300111 said:
    Darn, that looks so huggable!

Does your mom take commissions on these? :D Either way, that's really awesome!
    He IS huggable, yeah. One of the few things he doesn't have in common with the 'real' Max :p

Also, besides it probably being illegal, Steve having the copyright and all, my mom's pretty busy already. Sorry :)
  • Heh, no problem! I knew that would be the case. But I just had to ask :p

I've been dreaming of making one for myself, but last time I made a plushie was in school about 10 years ago (a deformed purple giraffe creature), so.. I doubt it'd turn out to be good. But yes, enjoy your stuffed Max! :D
  • Aaaaah I wanna hug the Max! Looks so huggable!

Avistew;298456 said:

She was super-fast, too! That's impressive. It looks pretty big, what size is it?
    Avi, please, think of the children.
  • Oh! Seeing that guy makes me wanna sleep hugging it... Just like when I was a baby and slept with my teddy bear..... Oh wait... The teddy kept away the bad dreams, plush Max would propably be the one causing them... What the hell... It's still hugable! Your mom rocks!
  • nikasaur;300344 said:
    Avi, please, think of the children.
    I prefer to think of the adults, if you don't mind. I find that works better for me.
  • nikasaur;300344 said:
    Aaaaah I wanna hug the Max! Looks so huggable!
    He is huggable, yeah. Plus, he's almost 100% less likely to bite your head of than the 'real' Max!
    SubSidal;300468 said:
    Oh! Seeing that guy makes me wanna sleep hugging it... Just like when I was a baby and slept with my teddy bear..... Oh wait... The teddy kept away the bad dreams, plush Max would propably be the one causing them... What the hell... It's still hugable!
    Sometimes, when I'm awake at night, I see him sitting there, staring...
    SubSidal;300468 said:
    Your mom rocks!
    I wholeheartedly agree!
  • Didero;298905 said:
    Not really. We looked closely at the screenshots I took of in-game Max, and his eyes are above his second tooth from the left and right, and below the inner edge of his ears. My mom copied that as close as she could in cotton Max.
    Well, maybe Max also has a bigger mouth and ears that are more apart :p
    I was just sharing my gut feeling, it might be wrong of course, my first thought was just that his eyes were closer together than I'd expect. When I look at the ad at the top of the screen, width-wise his nose seems to be in the middle of his head, and each eye in the middle between his nose and the edge of his head.
    Plush Max's eyes seem to be more a third away from the nose.

But hey, that doesn't make it any less awesome! I'm starting to feel like a joykiller lol, but I'm just trying to defend my previous random comment :p

It's more accurate than mine anyways, I didn't even give him the pink part in his ears :D
  • Didero;300959 said:
    Sometimes, when I'm awake at night, I see him sitting there, staring...
    He's observing you... How cute... :p
  • Avistew;300490 said:
    I prefer to think of the adults, if you don't mind. I find that works better for me.
    Works better in the eyes of the law too.

Oh dear.
Add Comment