User Avatar Image

Will you replay 'Tales' in 10 years?

posted by Armand1880 on - last edited - Viewed by 804 users
(Note: Please don't turn this into a "I hate Escape" thread)

I first played MI1 when I was 7.

I played MI2 when I was 8.

MI3 I watched the development of, I remember watching the trailer and trying to download the 20MB demo over dial up (I eventually just bought the PC Gamer with the demo on the disc - I still have magazine in a box with LeChuck on the cover). I finally played it when I was 12 or 13 when it came out.

MI4 I remember watching E3 news and being shocked by the first screen shot. I played it the day it came out when I was 15.

Now I'm 24, and I watched the details leak out about Tales from day one and left work early for Episode 1 to be released. Tales came out and I played it. I enjoyed it very much. I play all the first four Monkey Island games at least once a year (yes, even Escape), and I see myself doing do for many years to come. I'm sure many of us are the same way with re-playing these games. I can't count how many times I've played them...But will I play Tales once a year as well? Probably not. I might replay it before season 2 inevitably comes out...but will I see it with the same love and affection of the first four games? No.

I think it has something to do my age now, and nostalgia: wanting to relive part of my child hood. I love the series, and I can't wait for season 2 of Tales. But does Tales hold the same place in my heart? No. Will I add it into my re-play mix of the first four each year? No. Do I see myself still loading it up ten years from now? Probably not.

What do you all think?
39 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I wonder what kind of games TTG will be making in 10 years
  • I'm sure I will. Especially when I get a better computer that can handle the graphics better.

I replay SMI and LR the most, followed closely by CMI. And I even play EMI when I do my yearly Play Every Monkey Island Game in Order day. So I'm sure I'll be playing Tales 10 years from now too. Probably about as often as CMI.
  • Irishmile;301314 said:
    I wonder what kind of games TTG will be making in 10 years
    Tales of Monkey Island Season 4: The Final Chapter
  • I even replayed EMI, but most of all I replay MI2. I doubt that will change - but I will probably still play ToMI in ten years. Mainly because it's a part of a series, and I'll probably play through the whole series every now and then.
    Hayden;301470 said:
    Tales of Monkey Island Season 4: The Final Chapter: Ron Gilbert's Secret
    fixed :)
  • In ten years, our brains will all be wired directly into the Internet with skintennas and genetically modified dinosaurs will rule the earth.* So, of course I will be playing Tales again!:D

The dinosaurs will have gotten boring by then.

*I called it.
  • I think without question (or without unforseen circumstances...like I lose all sense of humor. Or die. Or my wife and I end up having octuplets and can't afford to eat, let alone buy computers. Or Obamacare causes the apocalypse) then yes, I will. It's classic and truly enjoyable, like the first three.
  • I'd play Tales everyday if I could.
  • I reckon I'll still be playing it in 10 years. I enjoyed Tales just as much as a lot of much older adventures games and I'm still playing and loving those ones. :)

(Hey, I played my first Atari game when I was about 3, and I still play that on emulators every once in a while!)
  • StarEye;301479 said:
    [QUOTE=Hayden;301470]Tales of Monkey Island Season 4: The First Final Chapter: Ron Gilbert's Secret
    fixed :)[/QUOTE]
    Double fixed :D
  • I have replayed it a few times already, so I will definitely play it again in 10 years, and some times in between.

The game is too good to just be played once and then put on the shelf.
Add Comment