Life Is Strange - Season 2 Ep 3 "Wastelands" Teaser, Releases May 9th, Ep 4 08/22, Ep 5 12/03

Comments

• Dex-StarrDex-Starr Banned
    edited January 25

it’s amazing how this series can continue to peddle out this disappointing, story-less mess

You clearly don't dislike this series as much as you'd like everyone to believe since you've bought and played ALL of its games to date. Why put on this façade?

And before you reply, understand that I am somewhat drunk as I’m writing this, and will probably regret writing this in a few hours

I've seen similar negative comments like this from you before, so I don't think you being drunk had anything to do with it, unless you were always drunk whenever you spoke about LiS.

Wow, that episode was amazing. In that, it’s amazing how this series can continue to peddle out this disappointing, story-less mes

• It was Cassidy but it won’t surprise me if we see a cameo of Max and/or Chloe this season. Or if they become a plot point. I’d be pretty hyped though. I love continuity like that. Makes it feel like a shared universe.

Dex-Starr posted: »

WOAH WOAH WOAH (Spoiler)

• Anyone else see Stephen's MAGA cap in his office?

• well I still agree

Wow, that episode was amazing. In that, it’s amazing how this series can continue to peddle out this disappointing, story-less mes

• edited January 25

I don't own LiS2, but checking the store page for EP2, it is marked as "free", but the only way to download it is to own the season pass.

And yeah, Episode 1 is avaliable to purchase seperatly, but that won't grant you access to anything apparently.
    Now that's some terrible business.

AnimalBoy posted: »

Did everyone have the season pass? I’m still not able to purchase the episode due to wanting to buy the episodes separately.

• Yup, saw it the moment sean stepped into his room.

ClemRanger posted: »

Anyone else see Stephen's MAGA cap in his office?

• Can't play cause they are forcing a season pass on me. RIP. I really liked episode 1 so thats a shame.

• It's part of the reason that these games aren't for everyone, there's a lot of downtime. Maybe too much.

That's ultimately the point I was trying, and failing, to get across. I don't mind down time, I've been praising non-stop The Final Season for slowing down the pacing, especially when compared to A New Frontier, and allowing scenes to play out and having downtime to talk to characters and explore. But in my experience, more so with this second installment, it just feels...hollow. I think a lot of that is because of the lack of story, direction, and focus, but the world just doesn't seem as lively as it was. As much crap as I give the first game for having a cast of characters that consisted of every high school trope in the books, it did have a cast of characters to interact with. This game, it feels like each individual episode is it's own thing, until it reaches the end game. Meaning everything just feels sort of empty as a result because you know they aren't going to come back in the next episode. There's a lot going on or characters to talk to in games like TWD S1 or TFS, or hell, even LiS 1, that gives meaning to those slow moments, as it allows us to interact with characters and learn more about them, there's a point and focus to it all. Here though, there's just so little and not much focus to it, meaning it just feels, as mentioned, hollow, when it does slow down. I'm still not sure if I'm explaining this correctly, so I apologize if I'm not making sense.

Shit became so blatantly forced to the point of being random. I'd go so far as to say laughably random, especially that one scene near the beginning with Mushroom.

I'm not even sure really what the point of his inclusion was, other than to have some cheap emotional moment. He wasn't even with us for a full episode, so yeah, I see where you're coming from with that.

For me, this definitely ranks as the worst LiS episode to date by a pretty big margin

Much like @TheTrashBoi, I still think Polarized from S1 is the worst, that took padding to a whole new level, especially with that dream sequence towards the end, but that's just me.

Sarunas21 posted: »

will probably regret writing this in a few hours. Don't need to regret it. This episode failed to impress me too, though f

• Nah, you made perfect sense. I agree completely. Though I could give the argument that the theme of this episode was about the quiet, since Sean and Claire did happen to talk about the difference between Beaver Creak and Seattle, but at the same time it almost feels like an excuse, because something only ever happens when the "plot" demands conflict.

What I did like about this episode was Sean and Daniels interactions, the talks with Stephen were cool, The stuff with Chris and Charles, that were surprisingly subtle in my playthrough, the talk I had with Lyla and the convo with Cassidy, whom I already have a game crush on and can't wait to see her in Ep 3, whether it'll be trash or not.

I honestly feel like I can pull a lot to like out of this episode. But the problem was everything else just overshadowed the good, to the point where I see even the casual fans on YT pointing shit out. I'm obviously a defender of LiS, but I can't defend this. And honestly, EP 3 doesn't look that focused either. Looks like they're in Cali in that job that Cassidy said they were on their way to, which apparently involves ganja.

All in all, I can say this vision probably looked better on paper. But it's not translating well currently.

He wasn't even with us for a full episode, so yeah, I see where you're coming from with that.

Funny how you're proving your own point indirectly. Mushroom was actually girl, lol. I didn't even know that myself until I heard Daniel call her "girl".

And Polarized is that frowned upon? I was actually hooked after that episode alone.

It's part of the reason that these games aren't for everyone, there's a lot of downtime. Maybe too much. That's ultimately

• Polarized is, well, polarizing. Some people love it, some hate it.

Sarunas21 posted: »

Nah, you made perfect sense. I agree completely. Though I could give the argument that the theme of this episode was about the qui

• edited January 26

About Polarized,
    You know how when you're really tired you're far more likely to get emotional about stuff?
    I think they designed the episode to exhaust the player on purpose. Just to collect some extra tears at the end.

Well, that's my theory anyway.

• Just finished EP2. It was pretty good. The beginning was sad, though. I was a little disappointed in EP1, but this episode dealt with the issues that were there. I made some better choices than last time too. No more being a thief.

• be me
    pragmatic playthrough
    at the store in first ep
    purchased warm clothes for dainiel and also sleeping bags
    all without stealing
    ep2
    daniel is sick
    mfw

• it was cassidy you urban

WOAH WOAH WOAH (Spoiler)

• I'd hate to speak ill of LiS2, but episode 2 definitely wasn't worth the 4 month long wait. Hopefully 3 will be.

• I´m looking forward to spending time with Cassidy and her friends in the next episode. They´re my kind of people. Or atleast they were when I was younger.

Although I´m sure we´ll be saying goodbye to them again by the end of the episode. Which kind of sucks.

I mean, I made the call to Lyla this episode, because I knew we were going to have to leave the grandparents some way or another. Might as well talk to my bff if we´re screwed anyway.
    That was a bad metagaming moment for me.

Other than Cassidy and friends I´m looking forward to eventually meeting mom, which I´m pretty sure will happen at some point.

• It really frustrates me when there are dialogue choices and you can't state the obvious for instance at the very end of the episode Daniel asks something along the lines of:

"Why did Chris run out in front of the police car" Like right then and there I wanted to say "Well it's because you made him think he had freaking super powers you dumb ass and kept showing them off every time I told you not to!"

• That police officer at the end was the racist man in Episode 1, right?

• It was great in my opinion. I really don’t get what the fuss is about. It was a very good 3 hour + episode, more development in relationship between the brothers, Chris gets hurt depending on choices and we meet a character we will seemingly be on the road with in the next episode. The whole mystery surrounding their mother and why she left is keeping me invested too. Great episode as far as i am concerned. Seems some people only value action sequences or something to make a good episode

I'd hate to speak ill of LiS2, but episode 2 definitely wasn't worth the 4 month long wait. Hopefully 3 will be.

• No. Hank Stamper is not a cop

Ghetsis posted: »

(Spoiler)

• Huh. Sure looked similiar.

No. Hank Stamper is not a cop

• Telltale sure loves they're hipsters, that was my big takeaway from episode 2.

• dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator

Did you mean Dontnod?

JawaEater posted: »

Telltale sure loves they're hipsters, that was my big takeaway from episode 2.

• My mistake.

dojo32161 posted: »

Did you mean Dontnod?

• What characters are you talking about? I don't remember seeing any hipsters.

Telltale sure loves they're hipsters, that was my big takeaway from episode 2.

• The two people with the dog.

Onmens posted: »

What characters are you talking about? I don't remember seeing any hipsters.

• edited February 3

So, nowadays everybody that doesn´t fit the norm is automatically a hipster?
    Even for a generalization that´s pretty darn general, man.

As someone who´s lived in squats for most of his youth I take offense on behalf of all the crust punks. ;)
    They did a pretty good job of reminding me of my old friends, actually. I´m pretty sure they will screw that up next episode, but for now I liked them.

The two people with the dog.

• What do you consider a hipster then?

So, nowadays everybody that doesn´t fit the norm is automatically a hipster? Even for a generalization that´s pretty darn general

• I don´t know, or care to know, much about hipsters.
    All I know the characters you mentioned aren't ones.

I'm sure google can tell you what hipsters are all about and what they look like.

What do you consider a hipster then?

• They gave the release dates for the next episodes.

• Tf? 4 month wait from episode 1 to 2. 4 month wait for episode 2 to 3. 4 month wait from episode 4 to 5. Surely they auren't making enough money to keep this game in development for over 2 years? And yet the game turns out so half-baked that I laugh at the animations when characters cry. To think that everyone was like they were just preparing the other episodes so the wait would be shorter after episode 2.

iFoRias posted: »

They gave the release dates for the next episodes. https://twitter.com/lifeisstrange/status/1108760182358564865

• edited March 21

inb4 Dontnod pull a telltale and declare bankruptcy

Yeah idk what the hell is happening with the development of this game but at least people have the dates for the next episodes now.

Tf? 4 month wait from episode 1 to 2. 4 month wait for episode 2 to 3. 4 month wait from episode 4 to 5. Surely they auren't makin

• do we have any idea how big the LIS2 team is? They're definitely losing money on this game even with post release/post season sales. It looks like consumers just dont like the episodic format anymore.

Tf? 4 month wait from episode 1 to 2. 4 month wait for episode 2 to 3. 4 month wait from episode 4 to 5. Surely they auren't makin

• edited March 21

Holy cow. That's just... really really not good.

R.I.P. Dontnod. No idea why this is happening. 4 months for each episode?! I feel so sorry for you guys. Takes over a year to get the full game you bought. The full story.
    That's unprecedented for a story-based episodic game. Whoa.

Edit: Actually, considering the story is one big journey in a single direction, there's no backtracking and visiting previously-made locations. They're having to make many new areas and locales for each episode.
    However, 4 months is way too long. But what do I know of game development, right?

...Yeah, they're probably having some bad financial times. 4 months... holy geez.

They gave the release dates for the next episodes. https://twitter.com/lifeisstrange/status/1108760182358564865

• I remember there being problems at Square Enix, the publisher, a few months back, but I’m not sure if that would have any impact on the development or the game itself.

It looks like Dontnod might be falling into the same trap as Telltale did after the breakout success of TWD S1. Both S1 and LiS became huge successes for their respectful companies, who both had been slowly rising and developing a following, but these got them into the mainstream. Numbers exceed anything they’ve done before and they think they’ve made it big, but this could have a naive effect and badly impact the company’s decisions as time moves on. We saw that with Telltale, and look what happened. While the games in the immediate aftermath of S1 still sold well, due to poor decisions, the company didn’t really profit from them. And while Clem stuck around, future games in TWD series, even S2, we’re nothing compared to S1. That could be because fans fell in love with the dynamic of Lee and Clem, and due to Lee’s death, were not interested in what happened next. Perhaps the same thing happened with LiS2 by removing Max and Chloe, the centerpieces of the first game. There’s probably a lot of other factors, some internal that I or anyone don’t know about, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this was the case.

I will also say that this does not look good for Dontnod if sales are down, because they have another episodic game coming out that isn’t LiS related, and a lot of people are saying it doesn’t look good.

inb4 Dontnod pull a telltale and declare bankruptcy Yeah idk what the hell is happening with the development of this game but at least people have the dates for the next episodes now.

• Either their business management is crap (like TT) or they are perfectly fine in doing this, but it doesn't make sense to me how so much time, a bigger budget, and more devs can still lead to such a (in my opinion) trash game. This doesn't even really consider story.

TFS: 1. 4 Episodes release within 5 months
    2. Amazing voice acting and dialogue
    3. Lip sync works fine.
    4. Scenes don't need music to be powerful, except for that Walker Barn scene
    5. Main character doesn't love talking to herself.
    6. Can pull off more emotion without taking the easy route like the plot lines LiS2 takes.

LiS2: 1. 5 Episodes within probably 10 months
    2. Below average voice acting and dialogue
    3. Lip sync isn't satisfactory.
    4. Scenes need music or hugs to be powerful
    5. Main character loves talking to himself, giving detailed recounts of what he did years ago

Yeah there's definitely something going on, I mean the entire game is going on GamePass so I >guess it underperformed?

I remember there being problems at Square Enix, the publisher, a few months back, but I’m not sure if that would have any impact o

• I have a feeling that because a lot of people (myself included) weren't a big fan of the final episode of season one this time around they started out with putting a lot of attention into the ending of the story. And the rest off the episodes are more or less filler to get us there.

If I'm right (probably not, I hardly ever am) this clearly is not the best way to do episodic games.

• If I'm right (probably not, I hardly ever am) this clearly is not the best way to do episodic games.

Well, if this is a huge problem, then Final Fantasy 7 Remake might be in danger.

I have a feeling that because a lot of people (myself included) weren't a big fan of the final episode of season one this time aro

• If there are still developers that want to do episodic games going into next gen, they should steer clear of Telltale (exception being TFS' planned release schedule before they went under, though the reuse of multiple locations probably helped speed things) and (especially) Dontnod's release schedule. Instead, they should take a look at what Capcom did with Resident Evil Revelations 2, by finishing the entire game and then releasing the episodes on a weekly or biweekly basis.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.