The Whatever's on Your Mind Megathread

Comments

• So first, that's rough Metallica, I feel for you man. I mean, real rough.

But also:

You know what makes it worse? A few weeks ago, one of my roommates thought it would be a great idea to get into a drinking competition (after he had already been excessively drinking), with an Irish foreign exchange student. If that isn't a recipe for disaster, I don't know what is.

Those three sentences are just pure gold.

I'm rooming with a bunch of fucking assholes. Sorry for the long rant, but I'm seriously fucking pissed. I'm not what you would

• edited February 7

After randomly stumbling upon the KH3 version on youtube...
    Holy cow that's an impressive recreation. It's like 90% accurate.

EDIT: Jeez, while they also recreated Do You Want To Build a Snowman in terms of animation (because of that Frozen $$), they ruined its inclusion with some poor redub of the song and an added layer of narration over top. It's painful to listen to.

Do Kingdom Hearts games usually have Disney-like musical numbers interspersed in the story?

lupinb0y posted: »

Saw a video comparing the Let it Go scenes in Frozen and Kingdom Hearts 3. Holy shit I cannot believe they painstakingly recreated

• edited February 8

Ooo wow that's rough, especially the "It's like you've gone away" line. Sounds like they just got Kristen Bell to make her voice higher pitched instead of just re-using the song like with Let It Go.

In regards with the narration I think it's just because Kingdom Hearts isn't exactly known for good writing so instead of just showing you the problems Elsa and Anna were facing (like in the movie) they had to show AND tell you at the same time if that makes any sense.

I think the previous games did do musical numbers but they weren't recreations like in this one.

AChicken posted: »

After randomly stumbling upon the KH3 version on youtube... Holy cow that's an impressive recreation. It's like 90% accurate.

• No, I’ve been rooming with these guys all throughout the school year (since August) and I’ve known them for a couple of years. Hell, I used to do a on-campus radio show with the roommate who got into the drinking competition. They’re not bad guys and we’ve obviously gotten along well before this, they’ve included me in a lot of what they do and me likewise. But this, not even bothering to check before and after the fire alarm goes off, yeah, that’s going to rub me the wrong way.

And it wasn’t a drill, it was legitimate. Apparently it started on the 2nd floor, but it was small and was quickly put out. I’m still not solid on 100% of the details concerning why the alarm went off, but the fact is that it did go off, I didn’t know, my roommates left me behind, realized I wasn’t downstairs, and did nothing afterwards.

Thank you for the kind words though, it means a lot.

So, did you move into this dorm pretty recently? Were you living alone before this? (I only ask since it's like the middle of the

• Yeah, he’s not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed. We had already banned him from having tequila in the dorm before, and after this, we added vodka to the list.

So first, that's rough Metallica, I feel for you man. I mean, real rough. But also: You know what makes it worse? A few w

• Today is the day I lost all my hope for Star Wars Episode 9 because Disney confirmed they have no problem with EA's take on Star Wars gaming and it's because they have a "good relationship". Can someone please fire Kathleen Kennedy? There is no way she is better than George Lucas.

• edited February 8

Kathleen Kennedy isn't Disney. No where in any article does it say she's happy with the current state of Star Wars games, all that was said by Bob Iger during an earnings call.

There is no way she is better than George Lucas.

Kathleen Kennedy was literally handpicked by George Lucas to run Lucasfilm. Also the current movies have collectively made $4.4 billion out of the box office alone under her supervision with three of the four films receiving critical acclaim, and last year they extended her contract by an additional three years because of how happy they were with her results.

AronDracula posted: »

Today is the day I lost all my hope for Star Wars Episode 9 because Disney confirmed they have no problem with EA's take on Star W

• All, or at the very least most, of that is true, but to ignore the fact that there are a growing number of SW fans out there growing to despise Ms. Kennedy is not showing both sides of the story. Look at the "mixed" reaction to The Last Jedi when it was released. Critics loved it, but fans are split almost right down the middle, you either love it, or loathe it (I myself am in the latter category), and negative sentiment has only grown since. And when you compare the box office performance of TLJ to TFA, especially in China, the numbers are way down (TFA grossed over $2 billion, while TLJ grossed $1.3 billion worldwide. In China, TLJ had the lowest opening week of any SW movie since 2005, and numbers for the first week were down almost 100% when compared to TFA). I think the biggest piece of evidence is probably Solo, which bombed at the box office (which is not good since it's one of the most expensive films ever made). Now granted there's a lot of reasons why that failed, but many of them have to do with Kennedy. You had the very highly publicized falling out between the original directors and Kennedy, who fired them due to "creative differences," most of the movie was reshot by a new director, and after many fans felt outraged after TLJ, can you really blame Solo for bombing? And after the performance of Solo, most of the other SW anthology movies were put on hold as a result. There is a noticeable downward trend in these last few SW movies that you can't deny. We'll see what happens when Episode 9 rolls around, but since the director of that movie also left due to "creative differences" with Kennedy, we might see a repeat of Solo. I doubt it will bomb because die hard SW fans will never skip out on a new film, even if the previous one wasn't that good, and average movie goers will still go see it, but I wouldn't be surprised by a less than stellar performance.

Kathleen Kennedy isn't Disney. No where in any article does it say she's happy with the current state of Star Wars games, all that

• edited February 8

And when you compare the box office performance of TLJ to TFA, especially in China, the numbers are way down (TFA grossed over $2 billion, while TLJ grossed $1.3 billion worldwide.

To be fair, The Force Awakens was a sequel to a 30 year old movie. It was a worldwide event for a whole new generation of movie goers. It makes sense that it made THAT much money.

In China, TLJ had the lowest opening week of any SW movie since 2005, and numbers for the first week were down almost 100% when compared to TFA).

China doesn't have any sort of attachment to Star Wars. The original trilogy was never released in China until fairly recently due to the... well... communism. The prequels were actually screened there though and they're the only Star Wars movies that China showed any sort of interest to due to the over the top action sequences. Hell I'm pretty sure the only reason it as much of a viewership in China was because of Donnie Yen. The originals were met with a pretty lukewarm reaction when it was actually released in 2015 with one person saying, '"Although the character design is weak, the leading actress not beautiful, the leading actor not handsome and the action parts like children fighting, placed in 1977, the visual effects are amazing."

I think the biggest piece of evidence is probably Solo, which bombed at the box office (which is not good since it's one of the most expensive films ever made). Now granted there's a lot of reasons why that failed, but many of them have to do with Kennedy. You had the very highly publicized falling out between the original directors and Kennedy, who fired them due to "creative differences," most of the movie was reshot by a new director, and after many fans felt outraged after TLJ, can you really blame Solo for bombing?

I mean if I'm remembering correctly, Lord and Miller were trying to make a full blown comedy instead of a Star Wars movie. While I love the work they've done thus far (Jump Street, The Lego Movie and Spider-verse), if they weren't really making a Star Wars movie I can kinda understand why they were let go. I still would have liked to know what they had made though and I really dug that they were going for an alien villain instead of a human-ish character. It also didn't help that Bob Iger admitted to pushing for a release so soon after TLJ.

And after the performance of Solo, most of the other SW anthology movies were put on hold as a result.

Wasn't that a rumour? I remember Bob Iger saying they were slowing down a bit on the anthology films but the movies already announced (the David Benioff and D. B. Weiss trilogy, Rian Johnsons trilogy, etc) were still in active development.

We'll see what happens when Episode 9 rolls around, but since the director of that movie also left due to "creative differences" with Kennedy, we might see a repeat of Solo

You mean Colin Trevorrow? The guy who did Book of Henry and the Jurassic World movies? I'm honestly really thankful he left.

All, or at the very least most, of that is true, but to ignore the fact that there are a growing number of SW fans out there growi

• To be fair, The Force Awakens was a sequel to a 30 year old movie. It was a worldwide event for a whole new generation of movie goers. It makes sense that it made THAT much money.

While it may have been a direct sequel to Return of the Jedi, the last SW movie before that was Revenge of the Sith. While that one is viewed as the best of the prequel movies, the fact remains that the prequels left a bad taste in many fans mouths. Sure you can argue that TFA not having Lucas' involvement was a reason that drew more people in, but you can also argue the same for the counter. Lucas has obvious flaws in his writing and directorial style, but no one can deny the man is the reason why SW is successful and why it has such a rich lore to it. Lucas has always been more of the idea man behind everything, you see that in the original films and in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. People tend to love his vision, not the execution, and seeing as how he was sort of spurned from working on the new trilogy did not sit well with fans.

China doesn't have any sort of attachment to Star Wars.

No, but Disney has an attachment to China. They're increasingly becoming one of the most sought after foreign movie markets, in spite of its communist government. Disney wants, no it needs, these movies to be successful over there, and TLJ proved to be a big disappointment in that market.

While I love the work they've done thus far (Jump Street, The Lego Movie and Spider-verse), if they weren't really making a Star Wars movie I can kinda understand why they were let go.

If that's the case, then how did they get the job in the first place?

You mean Colin Trevorrow? The guy who did Book of Henry and the Jurassic World movies? I'm honestly really thankful he left.

Even if the guy did make some movies that you may not personally like (I've never seen a single Jurassic movie, including World, nor have I seen Book of Henry), it certainly doesn't look good when there is a rotating door of directors, who are all leaving because of the same reason.

And when you compare the box office performance of TLJ to TFA, especially in China, the numbers are way down (TFA grossed over $2

• First Rick left, then Maggie, and now Michonne is gone. How much longer can TWD show keep going on like this?

• I won't be surprised if Norman Reedus leaves as well.

First Rick left, then Maggie, and now Michonne is gone. How much longer can TWD show keep going on like this?

• Lucas has always been more of the idea man behind everything, you see that in the original films and in Star Wars: The Clone Wars. People tend to love his vision, not the execution, and seeing as how he was sort of spurned from working on the new trilogy did not sit well with fans.

Which I applaud him for of course. I love all that he's done for Star Wars including all the really bad stuff. He may not be involved with the current trilogy but it's not like he's completely off of Star Wars. Some of his original ideas for a sequel trilogy were actually used, and he provided Ron Howard with input on Solo and even directed a scene if I'm not mistaken.

The thing is that you're only seeing the ideas that saw the light of day. For one of Lucas's good ideas there were probably two other bad ones. Lucas originally wanted RoTJ to have one final twist which was to have Luke don the helmet of Darth Vader and turn on the rebels... for some reason, which would then lead into a sequel trilogy. But with the originals there were people holding him back from going too far out, which unfortunately can't be said with the prequels.

No, but Disney has an attachment to China. They're increasingly becoming one of the most sought after foreign movie markets, in spite of its communist government. Disney wants, no it needs, these movies to be successful over there, and TLJ proved to be a big disappointment in that market.

I mean yeah China's is important, but even without them TLJ is currently the 11th high grossing movie of all time and topped the BluRay sales in 2018. It was deemed a huge success from Disney, regardless of it's lack of popularity in China.

If that's the case, then how did they get the job in the first place?

The same reason Marvel Studios wanted Edgar Wright to do Ant-Man. Because they wanted talented people to make a movie set in that universe, but in both of these cases it seemed more like they wanted to make movies that didn't really want to do anything with said universe.

it certainly doesn't look good when there is a rotating door of directors, who are all leaving because of the same reason.

It's two directors (I'm counting Lord and Miller as one person because they are attached at the hip) for two different movies. It would be a much different story if both of these guys were working on the same movie (ala Flash which has gone through like four directors now and also coincidentally originally had Lord and Miller attached).

To be fair, The Force Awakens was a sequel to a 30 year old movie. It was a worldwide event for a whole new generation of movie go

• One of my favourite YouTube channels, Buttered Side Down, a channel I could to my best describe as first person Mr. Bean did a stop motion episode and it's really well done!

• edited February 8

That's quite the drop-off.

I knew of Rick's departure, but not of the last two. That's disappointing, since they would've probably been my next two favourites after Rick.

To be honest, I think TWD TV series has really become stale. To me at least.
    The walkers are a mild annoyance at most, a lot of the Negan arc had dull firefights with a limitless amount of wasted ammo, and a lot of cliffhangers that amount to nothing or surprise shock deaths meant purely for the shock itself

(lookin at you, Carl).

I've only watched the first episode of the new season a few months ago, and nothing else. I'm debating whether to at least continue with the next 4 episodes or so until Rick leaves, but I haven't gotten to that at all yet.

First Rick left, then Maggie, and now Michonne is gone. How much longer can TWD show keep going on like this?

• Season 9 is great,it's way better than the last two seasons since Angela Kang took over,but i feel like that change happened too late,it's a different show now not a continuation of Rick/Carl's story (because they're both gone now).

And the other problem are all these actors leaving,making a spin-off on Maggie is a bad idea,the Rick trilogy is also not a good idea because people are losing interest in the series,i don't know how they can fix this honestly,they should plan an ending but i'm not expecting that,they're gonna keep milking this show until everyone leaves or people lose interest and stop watching.

That's quite the drop-off. I knew of Rick's departure, but not of the last two. That's disappointing, since they would've proba

• edited February 9

To make that characters death worse.

They killed him off because the actor was turning 18 and they didn't want to pay him an adults wage. It was a complete surprise to Chandler Riggs since he had even bought a house near where they film so he could study nearby.

That's quite the drop-off. I knew of Rick's departure, but not of the last two. That's disappointing, since they would've proba

• You know what this does, it reminds me of what I've always known, you can't ever fucking rely on other people. Honestly, I'm better off on my own anyway, I've been alone with a handful of people I've actually called "friends" for 21 years, why change now. Would be nice though if someone showed the same level of care. And I'm not going to say I'm perfect at this, I've acted selfishly and done stupid shit, but I can at least recognize when I've done so and feel like shit afterwards. These guys don't seem to care at all, so you know what, fuck them

You're right; you have to make yourself someone you can rely on first, and then when you can stand tall on your own you can show the example for them. The company we surround ourselves with mold us, and reflect us as a result. If you feel like they're bad influences, distancing yourself from them is a good idea, but if you want them to change you have to keep sending out the vibes you hope they'll catch. It's up to them to decide if those vibes resonate with them, but if you don't attempt or stop trying to send the right ones out they'll never catch any from you. Either way it's not about the change we want from the people that are toxic in our lives; it's the change that's best for them.

I'm sorry you were having a rough day though.

I'm rooming with a bunch of fucking assholes. Sorry for the long rant, but I'm seriously fucking pissed. I'm not what you would

• Staying with the KH3 theme, this is one of the greatest video game things I have ever seen

• Pewdiepie tried to stream Roblox to beat T-series rip stream 😧😭😔

• edited February 11

New Pixar Sparkshort. Smash and Grab.

• Ayyy I've passed 9000 likes recently. Cool. (or, as cool as any arbitrary number can be)

I don't think I'll crack 10K before this place dies so I'll just etch this into my gravestone now.

• It actually looks pretty interesting.

• Woah, they're giving this movie a lot more serious tone. Wait, who is running Arendelle if they're all gone?

dojo32161 posted: »

It actually looks pretty interesting.

• Wow. With Cars 3 and now this, Disney really knows how to market their unexpected, unnecessary sequels.
    Show the grim stuff.

(in the case of the former, it was a pretty good sequel - I even prefer it over the first one - , and it's something the second movie should have been)

• Huh. Well that is far from Frozen now, isn't it?

• I really liked the first one so I'm pumped for this! I can't wait to find out more about what's going on.

• See I don’t care if a guy flirts with me, they can slap my ass for all I care and I’ll still accept the compliment, but don’t expect me to flirt back

• What a coincidence this is happening on Valentine's day.

Melton23 posted: »

See I don’t care if a guy flirts with me, they can slap my ass for all I care and I’ll still accept the compliment, but don’t expect me to flirt back

• Wait a minute....

See I don’t care if a guy flirts with me, they can slap my ass for all I care and I’ll still accept the compliment, but don’t expect me to flirt back

• edited February 17

Ha, HA! I found it!

It's actually a movie, and it's called Tiempo Compartido. or, Time Share.

Two haunted family men join forces in a destructive crusade to rescue their families from a tropical paradise, after becoming convinced that an American timeshare conglomerate has a sinister plan to take their loved ones away.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80991809

There's this show on Netflix I'm trying to find that's driving me mad. I can't find it. I saw a trailer for it on the streaming

• edited February 15

I cannot fucking believe they're bringing Rune Factory 4 on the Switch and making Rune Factory 5 also for the Switch. I literally asked for this LAST MONTH when I was talking about the series with a friend but was so sure it was never going to happen because the developers, Neverland Co. filed for bankruptcy SIX YEARS AGO.

I can't believe one of my favourite niche game series is coming back from the dead.

• Aww he just wants to high five/fist bump his bro. That's so bro.

This gave me big Wall-E vibes because of the lack of dialogue. They did a really good job conveying emotion with just a little triangle.

New Pixar Sparkshort. Smash and Grab.

• Pixar put out a comparison video to show of the differences/similarities between the storyboarding and the actual scenes for the opening of the movie Up. Watching this makes me kinda wish they went for more realistically proportioned bodies to make the opening feel even more real than it already is.

As a big fan of animation I really love all the stuff Pixar has been putting out on YouTube and I hope they put out more videos like this showing off the storyboards.

• Why would you want realism in a cartoon? Do people not watch movies and cartoons to escape reality anymore?

Pixar put out a comparison video to show of the differences/similarities between the storyboarding and the actual scenes for the o

• Yes because the only reason people watch movies and cartoons is to escape reality,obviously.

Why would you want realism in a cartoon? Do people not watch movies and cartoons to escape reality anymore?

• edited February 16

Because I think it would have hit harder on an emotional level by making them more realistically proportioned (maybe to an uncomfortable degree). I have no problem with the movies visuals, it's just my own silly thought.

Why would you want realism in a cartoon? Do people not watch movies and cartoons to escape reality anymore?

• Finished with Season 2 of Netflix's The Dragon Prince. While I did enjoy the first season a great deal, I'll admit I had some problems, mainly with the animation, but also with some pacing and writing decisions, and some of the jokes didn't really land. That being said, for the most part, the writing was strong, the characters interesting and likable, and it set the foundation for what's to come.

I can safely say Season 2 is a HUGE improvement on damn near everything. Even the animation, while still iffy in some areas, is much better. The writing felt a lot more focused, there's a great deal of backstory revealed, the main character Callum has a nice arc throughout the season (which was good because I wasn't that big a fan of him in the first season), and the stage has been set for a Season 3. It still had some flaws, again the jokes are kind of hit and miss, which are especially noticeable when it causes a tonal shift, and Rayla, who got a pretty big focus in the first season and easily became my favorite character, took more of a backseat this season. Not saying she wasn't important, she was, but definitely a somewhat smaller role here than last season. The only other thing is that it feels like they're doing a sort of love triangle, and I absolutely detest those (ANF and The Legend of Korra). Overall though, it's another strong season, hopefully Season 3 will come soon.

• edited February 17

Had a bit of a Movie Marathon with a friend yesterday at a local movie theatre doing special screenings.

• I saw Hunt for the Wilderpeople in the morning (alone, since he couldn't make it there)
      This was a movie I'd already seen 2 years ago when it came out. But, I only remember bits and pieces of it. Since then, I have learned that the director was Taika Watiti, and after coming to a better appreciation for his movies and style of comedy over the years I thought it'd be fun to reexperience it and see it with that in mind.
      It's great.
      It's apparently based on a book (Wild Pork and Watercress) which started to get a bit apparent to me about halfway through the film what with the constant "chapter titles" popping up, often in inconsistent amounts of time.
      The film is a good story of a Kid who feels unappreciated and doesn't appreciate others, but after [being forced to] going on the run from the police and Child Welfare agents with his new foster Uncle, they journey through the New Zealand Bush together, developing a close bond. Watiti's style of comedy and filmmaking is great here. With interesting camera angles, snappy dialogue, and great scenery abound.

• Princess Mononoke was in the afternoon
      I've also already seen this movie, but long, long ago when I was like 6 years old. I only remember 2 moments, one of which was extremely terrifying to my young age.
      I can safely say that it's still terrifying as a young adult.
      This movie is way more violent than I thought, probably one of Ghibli's most violent and gory. Imagery of rotting corpses, piles of bodies after war, cuts, gashes, and various people getting limbs cut clean off... I can't believe I saw the whole thing as a kid... I think.
      My friend and I also talked about how Lord-of-the-Rings it feels. It's an immense 2h30m movie. They set up so much of the world, who lives in it, what the political and territorial tensions are in it, aspects of different human or animal tribes and what they do, the mythology of the gods that roam the land... It's incredible. And the animation is fantastic. Archery fights are very well crafted, with the "camera" often following arrows as they fly, Sword fights are full of tension as the unsheathing of knives, swords and the swift slashing of them by various characters is both nail-biting and exhilarating to watch.

The one qualm I have is with the last 20 minutes or so. It's a bit too grandiose of a twist and shift of menace/antagonist for me, at least how I felt in the moment.

• Finishing with Millenium Mambo at night.
      This is an interesting one. At least, interesting in how the movie is presented and/or made.
      It's a old Taiwanese movie, and it's about a girl (named Vicky) who has a bad relationship with her boyfriend, and wants to get out of it. But, it's not like your average Western movie (or so my friend says). It's structured and told very differently. There isn't a clear chronology to the film, it's not a blatant story shoved in your face with twists and turns and drama and moments of narrative...
      The first 5 minutes or so have no dialogue. Just Vicky and her boyfriend cleaning up their apartment after a splurge on food and cigs. Vicky's narration pops in every once in a while to inform of a few events which are to be shown later in the film. "Hao-hao would often look through her wallet, either for money or checking her receipts. If he found a blank one, he'd call the establishment where it's from. If he found a phone card bill that was too long, he'd ask her about it. He always thought she was cheating on him." Personally, I didn't really enjoy that. I would've preferred to be surprised by events and not knowing what a character was doing or how a scene would play out.
      The movie is also incredibly slow. Maybe in my opinion too much (in the opinion of my friend, it wasn't slow enough. he loved it.) As mentioned with the first few minutes, there are a lot of shots and scenes without dialogue. It's not a movie where characters always have a thing to say or say something to advance the plot. It's just normal conversation. What makes this good in terms of a different dynamic to this film is that it feels real. It really feels like the camera was set up, they started rolling and let it roll for a good while. Many of the actors aren't even professional actors, and this movie was probably made with aspects of the actual people in mind. Most of the cast (apart from Vicky) share the same name with their characters as they do in real life.
      ...Anyway, it was a good movie, or more accurately: experience. I enjoyed seeing how different this movie was in terms of where it went and what it told, but I wouldn't really watch it on my own for entertainment purposes. Apparently a lot of east-Asian movies dont have the same formula of film as Western films do.

In other news, I was going to go see another movie today, part of the theater's festival of free movies around this time but unfortunately it was all sold out online. (Should've requested a ticket yesterday night in person. Asked earlier in the day, didn't get a ticket but they still had many available.)
    The movie I was looking at is called Blue My Mind. A Swedish "coming-of-age" film of a girl going through the highs and lows of her high-school life, and subsequently puberty. It's supposed to be an interesting surreal experience, but after looking up more of the film and seeing a trailer, I'm glad I'm not going... or at least I'm glad I know what the movie actually is.

Freaky. I would've been in for a terrifying surprise had I gone in blind. "Lovecraftian Body Horror"??! No, thank you. No way.
    I was expecting a nice, honest, heartwarming movie of adolescence. Like Eighth Grade but Swedish.

• Hey man you’re not Swedish, how do you know that Lovecraftian body horror isn’t just a natural part of puberty in Sweden?

Had a bit of a Movie Marathon with a friend yesterday at a local movie theatre doing special screenings. * I saw Hunt for the

Sign in to comment in this discussion.