Life Is Strange - Season 2 Ep 3 "Wastelands" Out Now, Ep 4 08/22, Ep 5 12/03

1283284285286287289»

Comments

• edited March 22

Not really, the last time they talked about its episodic format, the producer that they expected each episode to be the size of a full-length game. Basically what Final Fantasy XV was supposed to be before they were forced to cut it apart and change the story that it could ship in one game. Think of it more like a trilogy of games, so that they don't have to butcher it.

AronDracula posted: »

If I'm right (probably not, I hardly ever am) this clearly is not the best way to do episodic games. Well, if this is a huge problem, then Final Fantasy 7 Remake might be in danger.

• Very much this. ^

Can't say anything about RErev2, but I'm always fascinated and impressed whenever I hear of that episodic release model. You want to tell the story in chunks, let people talk about each one, and manage to deliver that game in a timely manner? Make it first. Release it in small spurts.

MichaelBP posted: »

If there are still developers that want to do episodic games going into next gen, they should steer clear of Telltale (exception b

• I agree 100% with this. It never made sense to me as to why TellTale and Dontnod never had their entire seasons completely done before releasing the first episodes of their respective games. As a company you have no idea what could happen during the 3 or 4 months of development in between episode releases. Heck, TellTale demonstrated perfectly well that a lot of bad stuff can still happen even during a single month of development between episodes. All this has done so far is made people avoid/stop buying episodic games and only buying them (if they even still do buy them) when all episodes are released.

If there are still developers that want to do episodic games going into next gen, they should steer clear of Telltale (exception b

• I think the purpose of doing so is to respond to fan feedback, that way, you can have a continuously improving product as the episodes progress. Have the story and certain stuff planned out, develop Episode 1 while being in the early stages of Episode 2 and other episodes, look at the reviews and fan reactions to it, and respond accordingly. TFTBL, while it had a long wait, did pretty well with this as the fan response gave us more Loader Bot, a happy and playful Gortys, and various other elements that people love about the game.

It certainly has it's downsides, but there is a reason for doing it this way. Telltale's failures have certainly highlighted the problematic nature of these games, but that doesn't mean it can't ever be done right.

AGenesis posted: »

I agree 100% with this. It never made sense to me as to why TellTale and Dontnod never had their entire seasons completely done be

• I really gotta play Tales From the Borderlands these days. And I understand that they do the bi-monthly wait to respond to fan feedback and everything, but I can't help but think it also acts as a double-edge sword for the developers as well as for the consumers who just want to play through the game without having to wait half a year(or even a full year) just to finish it. I personally think how Dontnod is handling the release schedule of their LiS Season 2 episodes is ridiculous and will just end up pissing everybody off. I mean, I'm pretty sure most people aren't even interested in playing the game until all episodes are released anyway. If TellTale didn't close down, I couldn't imagine how pissed off this fanbase would be if The Walking Dead: The Final Season had a four month wait period between each episode.

I think the purpose of doing so is to respond to fan feedback, that way, you can have a continuously improving product as the epis

• It really is a double edged sword, that's the best way to describe it.

I really gotta play Tales From the Borderlands these days. And I understand that they do the bi-monthly wait to respond to fan fee

• As well as what @MetallicaRules said, by only havng parts of the episodes complete and releasing Episode 1 allows the company to start pre-orders earlier as well as the Season Pass. Even if they don't buy the Pass, people are more comfortable with paying £5 every 3 months than sooner. There's less downtime, more hype although it dies down because of long waits. So as well as being an iterative thing, it's also a business thing. Didn't really work out for Telltale though in the end because no-one wanted to get their games anyway because few nowadays are worth replaying.

I agree 100% with this. It never made sense to me as to why TellTale and Dontnod never had their entire seasons completely done be

• Arent they just taking their time to bring best possible experience possible like LiS 1?

• I heard that players hated Episode 2 and it was released 4 months after Episode 1.

Bruno113 posted: »

Arent they just taking their time to bring best possible experience possible like LiS 1?

• Oh yes nice,we can finally buy the other episodes individually good to know.

dojo32161 posted: »

https://twitter.com/DONTNOD_Ent/status/1113833608027017216

• Good for those people.

I wonder how much money they gained from people who bought the season pass just to get access to Episode 2.

iFoRias posted: »

Oh yes nice,we can finally buy the other episodes individually good to know.

• edited April 10

Might as well post this here, today Focus Home Interactive announced a renewal of their partnership with Dontnod, following the success of the previous game they worked on together, Vampyr, and now they are already working on a new title for them.
    https://www.actusnews.com/fr/DONTNOD-ENTERTAINMENT/cp/2019/04/10/dontnod-entertainment-and-focus-home-interactive-announce-a-new-collaboration

This new game is apparently their most ambitious one yet.

“We are delighted to continue the adventure with the team at DONTNOD who have already amply demonstrated their talents to create rich universes, enhanced by a masterful narrative and unique artistic direction. We are proud to once again allow the talent of the studio to express itself on this new project which is intended to be among the most ambitious in the history of FOCUS and DONTNOD” said John Bert, COO of Focus Home Interactive.

“We are excited to be strengthening our successful relationship with FOCUS HOME INTERACTIVE," said DONTNOD CEO Oskar Guilbert. " Their proven and effective marketing, their ability to address new digital distribution channels, their experienced teams and the convergence of our editorial visions makes FOCUS an ideal partner for our new game. Vampyr is a great success and we are very happy to develop this partnership with this exciting new project. "

And this is concept art for the new game.

Also mentioned in the press release is a port of Vampyr for the Switch (not sure if tnat had previously been announced).

• X Focus? Why you gotta do this to me? I'm playing Resident Evil 2 Remake.

Might as well post this here, today Focus Home Interactive announced a renewal of their partnership with Dontnod, following the su

• Episode 3 launch trailer

• Ep 1 grew on me a lot actually. First playthrough I thought it was fine, second playthrough and beyond I ended up really really liking it. Didn't like Ep 2. But I think I might feel pretty good about Ep 3 for Cassidy alone. Already practically loved her in Ep 2.

So far as a whole, I'm not really digging this season the way I did Season 1 and to a lesser extent BtS. But hopefully Wastelands will be the episode to rejuvenate the season for me, because I want to feel great about this. So far, I don't feel as emotionally invested as I was in previous installments.

• I enjoyed the episode well enough, but Daniel is really getting on my nerves.
    Ah well, atleast there were boobies to take my mind off of him.

• I definitely liked this episode a hell of a lot more than Ep 2. As I said in the subreddit, Cassidy was a big piece in the reason this episode succeeded for me. Some flaws are still there, such as the over the top conflict that tends to feel undeserving, but it wasn't to the extent of Ep 2, which I appreciated.

More or less this felt like a good return to form for the devs. I had no problem with the uneventfulness of episode 2, but the conflict with the grandparents was just so undeserving that I completely checked out. I didn't feel any of the emotions they wanted me to feel. But this episode was completely different in that regard. I felt almost everything they wanted me to. Though, I'm still not invested in Sean and much less Daniel, who is quickly becoming one of the worst characters for me (I understand he's a kid, but it's very hard to make a child character compelling to me, because that almost ALWAYS means they will inevitably throw tantrums and act out in ways that is very costly. A convenient way to create conflict rather than just being a character all their own.) That said, that's where the undeserving conflict comes back in. Merrill understood that it's a tough age for Daniel. Deducting the pay of everyone as well as the intent to beat the kid just because he was where he wasn't supposed to be felt overdone just for the sake of tension. Subtlety towards conflict has almost never been in the devs game plan, but this season it's almost laughably over the top and on the nose.

Having said all that, I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Was expecting a shakeup, but wasn't expecting shit to go that south for Sean especially. Shout out to the savior of this season in Cassidy, but since we don't stay in any one location for an extended time, she is likely to not return next episode, which would be highly unfortunate. But hopefully they can do something good with the momentum I think they've gained with this episode.

They also got a bit ballsy with the partial nudity. My eyes popped a bit at the beginning of the game after the first chapter.

• Just finished EP3. It was pretty good. The highlight being able to romance Cassidy. I wonder how many weed pods you can cut. I was able to get to 11.

• Ok guys, no spoilers but I literally had to stop playing out of sheer boredom and frustration with episode 3. I stopped right before I go to the lake for the little brothers training session. Does the episode get better??? So far it is the cringiest, most propaganda filled shit I have ever suffered through.

• So far it is the cringiest, most propaganda filled shit I have ever suffered through.

That's saying a lot considering this series. I haven't seen or played it, but I know it takes place on a pot farm or something in regards to marijuana. I figured this would give ample room for some bullshit political injections and pandering, but is it really that bad? Like, is it worse than the gas station guy from the first episode? Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me, feels like these writers live in a fucking bubble most of the time.

Ok guys, no spoilers but I literally had to stop playing out of sheer boredom and frustration with episode 3. I stopped right befo

• S1 was cringey at times but was still a very good story. The prequel wasn't that bad either.

S2 is literally the most repulsive propaganda piece I've ever seen in a video game. It's literally a bunch of French developers intersecting their political beliefs into what they think life in America is actually like.

So far it is the cringiest, most propaganda filled shit I have ever suffered through. That's saying a lot considering this

• Finished episodes 1 and 2. I'm digging this game. The latter half of episode 2 did annoy me though when they decided to make every possible mistake you could do as a fugitive all in a single morning! First getting increasingly involved with the neighbor, then going to that market and topping it by going through Claire and Stephen's stuff. I also thought Sean was really obnoxious when arguing with Claire. "I can see now why mother left you". Claire was extremely good to the boys, they are running away from the police, and Sean complains about having to follow a handful of rules? I was shaking my head in disbelief.

• edited May 20

I thought episode 3 was definitely the worst one so far. The new characters were pretty stale imo.

• I don’t like Cassidy anymore. I would’ve given her a chance, but she’s fuck buddies with everyone at the camp

Sign in to comment in this discussion.