User Avatar Image

WASD + mouse VS gamepad in TPZ - which one's the better gaming experience?

posted by Pantagruel's Friend on - last edited - Viewed by 1.4K users
I bought a gamepad recently, and was really curious how The Penal Zone plays with it, as there were some people full of praises for the fluency and natural feel of the game when playing with a gamepad.

Up to this point, I'm somewhat disappointed with the results - it's OK to play with the gamepad, moving around is definitely better than WASD, but then, environment interaction is much better with the mouse. I'm interested in what others think about the issue, so I put up this poll. And especially those who find the gamepad solution superior - why do you think / feel so?
37 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • This poll is just wrong. not enough options.
  • I'd like to add that I'm currently play Wallace and Gromit with gamepad + mouse and enjoying it more than WASD + mouse.
  • I prefer point & click gameplay, but I really dislike the new click and drag/wsad movement system, I find it physically painful to play. When it comes to comparing playing Tales/S&M season 3, a gamepad is definitely the way to go.
  • WinterSnowblind;306515 said:
    ...I really dislike the new click and drag/wsad movement system, I find it physically painful to play.
    If that's so, you might try a trackball.
  • Zodler;306329 said:
    This poll is just wrong. not enough options.
    Yes, I imagine that adding eg. two further levels of awesomeness to both control methods would have REALLY helped things along ;)
  • WASD + Mouse is the best way, I played all of the game like that and had no problems with it.
  • Pantagruel's Friend;306867 said:
    Yes, I imagine that adding eg. two further levels of awesomeness to both control methods would have REALLY helped things along ;)
    I am sure he/she is referring to the fact that you do not have Click & Drag as an option.
  • i concur that it depends on your setup, i play with my gamepad because it simplifies the buttons in front of me and i don't need to remember any keyboard mapping, especially if its bothersome to me. most importantly though, my computer goes through my television, i just lie to lie back in bed and not have to worry about a mousepad or whatnot
  • User Avatar Image
    DPB
    I use the mouse exclusively, somehow the click & drag controls seem much more refined and easier to use than they did in Tales of Monkey Island, when I sometimes resorted to using the keyboard too.
  • To me TOMI mouse controls (click'n'drag) were better.
Add Comment