User Avatar Image

What's more important? Story or Puzzles?

posted by Ezny on - last edited - Viewed by 1K users
'Which do you think makes a better adventure game? Great story, or, Great puzzles?'

Just curious what people's position is on this.

Obviously they're BOTH important, but which one do you think trumps the other?

Oh and this is concerning adventure games, of course.

edit: Not voting until a few others do, not that it will influence my vote in any way. Let me know [or let mods know actually] if you think there should be additional poll options.

Equally important will not be an option.
39 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Catfish33;311444 said:
    Equally important will not be an option.
    Why not?
  • story for me which is why tales is my fav monkey island game
  • I don't think I can answer that. For me in a good adventure game they're so intertwined that it's actually the exact same thing.
  • 100% story. I couldn't care less about the graphics of the game, just so long as it runs smooth. Some of my friends will only play a game if the graphics are all high tech. Puzzles are important, but story much more so.
  • I don't think either is more important. A game with a bad story can be elevated by great puzzles and a game with bad puzzles can be elevated by a great story.
  • I say story, since it’s the first thing you begin with when making an adventure-game. It’s also the motivation for the player to solve puzzles at all, isn’t it?
  • GinnyN;311447 said:
    Why not?
    Because then everyone would vote 'equally important.' :rolleyes:
  • Majus;311460 said:
    I say story, since it’s the first thing you begin with when making an adventure-game. It’s also the motivation for the player to solve puzzles at all, isn’t it?
    That's a good point.

edit: oops sorry fer double post, all.

Ok what about this, what if [hypothetically speaking] there were an adventure game that had an AMAZING story, but the puzzles were super weak, like even for 5th graders? How would you rate this game, say on a scale of 1/10?

Then, what if another had the opposite. AMAZING puzzles [whatever that may mean to you] but the story is so awfully boring and who could care less? How would you rate that game?

double edit: actually I realize this is pretty irrelevant.
  • User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff
    I think that if you have one without the other, it's not an adventure game.
  • puzzlebox;311464 said:
    I think that if you have one without the other, it's not an adventure game.
    Well I would have to agree with that. Do you think either of them will make an adventure game better or worse for that matter?
Add Comment