User Avatar Image

The Incredible Puzzle Thread

posted by Klatuu on - last edited - Viewed by 9.8K users
Hi,

This is a thread to discuss some of your other favorite puzzles, riddles, brain teasers, armchair treasure hunts, etc.

To get started, here's an online puzzle hunt I've participated in before: Puzzlecrack. It's a week-long competition with clues given through the web page. Past competitions (and solutions) are still there for you to figure out.

Another similar one is Microsoft's College Puzzle Challenge.

Any other favorites?

-Klatuu
599 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Oh, sorry, I totally missed that post. I guess we posted at the same time or something? Sorry Javi. And everyone else for leading you to believe the answer was something else.
  • When is a cucumber undeserving of being a cucumber?
  • doodinthemood;316811 said:
    Cut XII lengthwise?
    That's it

There's another, an easy one:
    The chemist and his daughter, the doctor and his wife, ate nine pears and they got three each.

(Sorry if the sentence is a bit odd, it's the translation from the Spanish poem for the riddle)
  • The chemist's daughter is the doctor's wife.

(Three times three is nine, right? I got it right this time?)
  • doodinthemood;316558 said:
    This is what bamse has done:
    [IMAGE]
    I followed his instructions XD It does work. Just not especially nice, and the triangles are different sizes, and two matches cross.
    Thanks. I didn't have anything handy for creating a proper image before, but I have installed gpaint now.
    Avistew;316569 said:
    Well, bamse gets credit for figuring out a new solution.
    Yay! :) Thank you.
  • Avistew;316853 said:
    The chemist's daughter is the doctor's wife.

(Three times three is nine, right? I got it right this time?)
    Surely it could also be that the daughter is the doctor and the wife belongs to the chemist? Granted it would also indicate poor punctuation, but I'm allowing that to pass!
  • Myrph;316981 said:
    Surely it could also be that the daughter is the doctor and the wife belongs to the chemist? Granted it would also indicate poor punctuation, but I'm allowing that to pass!
    I guess, but I went with the one that doesn't require me to assume bad punctuation was used :p I mean, you'd say "the chemist, his daughter the doctor, and his wife" in a case like that. I can't imagine why you'd have an extra "and".
    So I assumed there was one "right" solution that was also "tricky" and combined the two decidedly feminine words (daughter and wife) as one person.

My first thought was that the doctor was the daughter and she had a wife, but it said "his wife" so I scratched the idea, and put the daughter/wife as the same person with an indeterminate job.
  • What is wrong with this picture?

Add Comment