User Avatar Image

If you could say one thing to everybody on Earth...

posted by JedExodus on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users
...what would it be?

I cannot play my own game for the responsibility it would put on my shoulders is too huge.
70 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • No I mean you seem to not realize that we are nature and it isn't that nature will balance us, but rather, things will just happen. I guess I'm trying to say that the whole villainizing of the human race is pointless because we're as innocent/guilty and important/unimportant as an oak tree or rock.

    also image

    sorry :(
  • Haha, yeah.

    We're capable of changing though. A tree is just standing there. There are no oak trees that can decide to pump more oxygen in the air because they think the world needs it.

    We, on the other hand can chose to lower procreation, lower the emissions of certain gases and stuff like that.

    We're smart. That's a capability. You don't see koala bears who are capable of preventing extinctions. We CAN prevent the extinction of every single species on this planet, we have the brains.

    Yet we don't.

    Why? Because of traditions that have failed to evolve along with us.
    (I'm not anti-religion, I'm just saying that applying philosophies from thousands of years ago is just not good for us. Look at the pope, today - telling people who earn a dollar a year to have as many kids as possible. I'm very sorry to offend anyone, but a perfect, omniscient being could have come up with much more simpler and effective ways).
  • TookiGuy;283794 said:
    We're smart. That's a capability. You don't see koala bears who are capable of preventing extinctions. We CAN prevent the extinction of every single species on this planet, we have the brains.

    Yet we don't.
    Then do. Do something that matters. Instead of complaining that people aren't doing enough, do all you can.

    Maybe people aren't doing anything because they're too busy complaining about how others aren't doing enough, is what I mean.

    As you said, humans can act, so let's do it.
    I don't think we can't prevent the extinction of every single animal though. Nor do I thing it would necessarily be a good thing. Just try and keep it to a reasonable amount, limit our impact.

    I think complaining about how humans suck isn't accomplishing much. Plus, it's making it a fatality. If you keep saying humans suck, it kinda prevents you from not sucking, being a human and all. If you started doing what you think are the "right things", then you couldn't say humans aren't doing them.

    Not trying to guilt-trip you or anything, just pointing it out. I think in a way it's counter-productive to complain about humans.
  • TookiGuy;283794 said:
    (I'm not anti-religion, I'm just saying that applying philosophies from thousands of years ago is just not good for us. Look at the pope, today - telling people who earn a dollar a year to have as many kids as possible. I'm very sorry to offend anyone, but a perfect, omniscient being could have come up with much more simpler and effective ways).
    tl;dr: I'm not anti-religion, but religion is bad!

    Also, using Catholicism as an example for all religions is a bad idea, even just as an example of Christianity.

    EDIT: Oh, and I agree with pretty much everything Tope said and especially with what Avistew just said.
  • avistew;283801 said:
    Then do. Do something that matters. Instead of complaining that people aren't doing enough, do all you can.

    Maybe people aren't doing anything because they're too busy complaining about how others aren't doing enough, is what I mean.

    As you said, humans can act, so let's do it.
    I don't think we can't prevent the extinction of every single animal though. Nor do I thing it would necessarily be a good thing. Just try and keep it to a reasonable amount, limit our impact.

    I think complaining about how humans suck isn't accomplishing much. Plus, it's making it a fatality. If you keep saying humans suck, it kinda prevents you from not sucking, being a human and all. If you started doing what you think are the "right things", then you couldn't say humans aren't doing them.

    Not trying to guilt-trip you or anything, just pointing it out. I think in a way it's counter-productive to complain about humans.
    Trouble is, I can't get squat done alone. And when I try to find help, the reply is generally a two word phrase ending with "off". And for the record, I wasn't complaining. I was asked to clarify a small statement(which, by the way, was not completely serious).

    Plus, I don't really understand where I implied that I don't "act".
    Hell, I do what I can. I prefer bikes. I boycott factory farming. And all that.
    Also, using Catholicism as an example for all religions is a bad idea, even just as an example of Christianity.
    I never said anything against Christianity.
    But do you see Taoists running off to "advise" the poor of some obscure country?
    It's the most major religion, and in my opinion, should therefore be the most likely example.

    And AGAIN, I'm not anti-religion. I love the concepts of Buddhism and whatnot.

    I'm just against people telling others who don't know any better to do things that will worsen their condition just because their favourite book in the world says so.
  • DoctorCello;283802 said:
    tl;dr: I'm not anti-religion, but religion is bad!
    I think what Tookie meant was something along the lines of "I'm not against religion on principle, but I think there is a discrepancy between mainsteam religions nowadays and the current state of things", in which case I'd tend to agree. Things that worked a long time ago won't necessarily work now. Some of the things seem out of date, so to speak.

    But of course, religion is something personal in the end, so each person will deal with it in a specific way. To keep on what you said, about Catholicism not being representative of even Christianity, I'd go further and say that the Pope isn't representative of all Catholics, either.
  • jedexodus;268653 said:
    ...what would it be?

    i cannot play my own game for the responsibility it would put on my shoulders is too huge.

    A man chooses! A slave obeys!
  • Do not diss adventure games, all must play!
  • People of earth learn my lesson over 50% of our paper is wasted as litter or thrown away which is a complete waste. The other 50% is wasted on twilight books. We must save paper by stop littering and stop reading twilight.
    GO GO GO!
  • This is your concious donate to www.telltalegames.com
Add Comment