User Avatar Image

Cucumbers Cut Lengthwise appreciation thread

posted by lu_ming on - last edited - Viewed by 4.7K users
How could we ever forget to make an appreciation thread for the heart and soul of Moleman humour?:D

77 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Hayden;324338 said:
    Actually, yes. After reading your comment, I did the same, and "an historic" does come off the tongue a lot easier.
    The exception proves the rule, I guess. :D
    Btw., "a historic" seems more common anyways. Google finds about 6,470,000 results vs. 2,600,000 results for "an historic".
    Also, conveniently, the first result for both terms might be of interest here. :)
  • A well known grammar rule says that we should use an before vowel sounds; for example, an accident, an item, an hour. We use a otherwise: a book, a hotel, a university.
    Harder to get than the silent Hs (after all we get those too) was the idea that "university" and the like don't start with a vowel. Took me years to get used to saying "a university" rather than "an university".
  • And another thing. Who pronounces 'H' as 'aych' and who pronounces it 'haych'?

OK this got off-topic fast. Who's the culprit this time?
  • I think it was Avistew's fault this time, caeska.

EDIT: And I pronounce it "aych."
  • Actually, the "H" in "Herb" is pronounced.
  • caeska;324774 said:
    Actually, the "H" in "Herb" is pronounced.
    Only if it is the name "Herb." The item by the name of "herb" does not have the "H" pronounced.
  • It's pronounced without the h in American and Canadian English, but in other forms of English the h is pronounced.
  • Power46;324772 said:

EDIT: And I pronounce it "aych."
    Yes! That is the way that I pronounce it. The way that I believe to be the correct way.
  • Hayden;324923 said:
    Yes! That is the way that I pronounce it. The way that I believe to be the correct way.
    it is. but what about "z"?

apparently, the "australian" way is "zed", but i just say z.
This discussion has been closed.