Telltale Autumn Sale

Comments

  • edited June 2010
    Ahhhh this looks so good, can't wait! You most definitely have a winner on your hands TellTale!
  • edited June 2010
    I can't wait to get my hands on the steamrelease for this one.
  • edited June 2010
    Like the atmosphere, but... "inspect the fence" *clicks fence*...... "enter the hotel" *clicks hotel*

    What? Does it tell you what to do every step of the way? Can that be turned off?
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Telltale Staff
    edited June 2010
    Like the atmosphere, but... "inspect the fence" *clicks fence*...... "enter the hotel" *clicks hotel*

    What? Does it tell you what to do every step of the way? Can that be turned off?

    That's just part of the intro tutorial (And is still being tweaked) it certainly does NOT do that throughout the game. :)
  • edited June 2010
    Man, that looks great. One question though: English isn't my native language, but is 'thru' actually a word? I always thought that was just the internet-way of writing 'through'.

    The game looks great, and I love the voice acting. June can't come soon enough!

    Wait...
  • edited June 2010
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    That's just part of the intro tutorial (And is still being tweaked) it certainly does NOT do that throughout the game. :)

    Ah cool, in which case woot :D Ahm so excited.
    Tjibbbe wrote: »
    Man, that looks great. One question though: English isn't my native language, but is 'thru' actually a word? I always thought that was just the internet-way of writing 'through'.

    The game looks great, and I love the voice acting. June can't come soon enough!

    Wait...

    thru is just a slangy way of writing through, actually more common now in things like "drive thru"
  • edited June 2010
    Tjibbbe wrote: »
    Man, that looks great. One question though: English isn't my native language, but is 'thru' actually a word? I always thought that was just the internet-way of writing 'through'.

    It's one of these text message-like things that pops up here and there in the US. You'll also see stuff like "Ped Xing" for "Pedestrian Crossing", it's extremely weird, like living inside of a cellphone or something. And I'm pretty sure things like that appeared before cellphones were as common as they are now.
  • edited June 2010
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    That's just part of the intro tutorial (And is still being tweaked) it certainly does NOT do that throughout the game. :)

    Yea thats what I thought that was, i wouldnt expect that to be throughout the game.
  • edited June 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    It's one of these text message-like things that pops up here and there in the US. You'll also see stuff like "Ped Xing" for "Pedestrian Crossing", it's extremely weird, like living inside of a cellphone or something. And I'm pretty sure things like that appeared before cellphones were as common as they are now.

    Ped Xing is more a case of truncating a word so as to fit it onto a street sign. Writing "thru" is similar in that drive thru signs want to have the text be big as possible so that you can see it from the highway, and because it's "cooler" ... or something.

    It might just be a misspelling in the demo, though. You know how TTG says they work on the games right up to the minute they're released? Turns out they kind of mean it.
  • MRNMRN
    edited June 2010
    This looks awesome, make a release date already!!!
  • edited June 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    Ped Xing is more a case of truncating a word so as to fit it onto a street sign.

    I guess, but France does fine with "passage piétons". It's not like the size is so horribly huge or anything. And seriously, when you're learning English, you look stupid when you ask "Hey, what does "ped gzing" mean?"
    If at least they wrote it like a plus sign, then you'd think it's a cross rather than assume it's a letter like the rest >.>

    I honestly prefer stuff like "thru". Sure, you double-take it at first, but at least you know what it means right away.
  • edited June 2010
    I've never driven in France, but I'm assuming you don't usually have pedestrian crossings on streets with high speed limits like the US, or at least they're not common. Here there are roads that go from 55 mph down to 25 in about a 1/5 of a mile. It's better to have larger font signs at those places, and nowadays they're often just the pedestrian symbol instead to make them even easier to identify, and fix the language problem.
  • edited June 2010
    Well, the signs I was referring to in France do have the symbol too, with the text underneath. And I wouldn't know how France's driving work, I barely ever climb in a car when I'm in France.
    Not that it would make me more likely to know anyway since I'd be a passenger and pay absolutely no attention to road signs when there are so many more interesting things to look at.

    I wasn't trying to be offensive or anything, just saying that it felt like being on a cellphone. You say it's because of lack of room, but then the analogy remains, since that's also the reason why stuff are shortened in text messages.
    The point is, it's confusing when you don't speak the language. I'm sure it would be the same the other way around. People who aren't familiar with French would have trouble with "a12c4" or even "a tt" or something.
    I don't know SMS language enough to come up with examples that aren't conversation examples, but I'm sure you get what I mean. Sure, "Ped Xing" takes less room, but if much less people understand what it means it defeats the point.

    Road signs are much better as symbols anyways. Apart from names of places and stuff.
  • edited June 2010
    Looks a bit fiddly, look at the difficulty they're having dragging those items at the beginning. Despite the finger being nowhere near them, it's still selecting the original one.
  • edited June 2010
    It is a review copy. They still have about two weeks to tighten up the controls, etc.

    @avistew I'm not upset, I was just trying to explain why it was done. Another thing you have to realize is that X is also a cross, so for a native speaker Xing immediately makes you think of cross-ing. :) Frankly, if you don't speak the language where you're driving you're going to run into trouble anyway because you won't recognize an exit if you see one. "Ausgang? Boy it must be a big city! I see signs for it everywhere around here!"
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2010
    Looks a bit fiddly, look at the difficulty they're having dragging those items at the beginning. Despite the finger being nowhere near them, it's still selecting the original one.

    Yeah that snuck into the E3 build. Sucks! It will be fine in the one that ships.
  • edited June 2010
    I guess :p To be fair I was speaking from a pedestrian point of view, so not on highways. On actual crossings, apparently to the attention of pedestrians so they'd know where to cross.

    Also, the X thing might be obvious for native speakers, but you have no idea how long it took me to figure out was "Xmas" was. "Xing" was slightly faster (I had to figure it out on my own, when I ask people kept laughing >.>) but not by that much. If it was X-ing, then yeah, I'd get it faster, but this way it just looks like a normal word I guess.
  • edited June 2010
    The X in "Xmas" isn't actually the English letter X; it's the Greek letter Chi, as in Χριστός, "Christ."
  • edited June 2010
    The X in "Xmas" isn't actually the English letter X; it's the Greek letter Chi, as in Χριστός, "Christ."

    Or, you know, a cross, which is what Christ was named after. That's the point. the X in Xing isn't the letter X either.
  • edited June 2010
    The word for Christ is not related to the word for cross. "Χριστός" comes from the verb "χρίω," "to rub or anoint." Christ roughly means "the Anointed One." The word isn't in any way related to the English word "cross," the French "croix," the Latin "crux," or the Greek "σταυρός."
  • edited June 2010
    That's interesting. I was told he was named after the word "cross" because that's how he died, and that's why Christians wear crosses because they symbolise him. Made sense to me so I guess I never had a reason to doubt it.
  • edited June 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    That's interesting. I was told he was named after the word "cross" because that's how he died, and that's why Christians wear crosses because they symbolise him. Made sense to me so I guess I never had a reason to doubt it.

    Well, in Catholic iconography, the image of Jesus on the cross is called the "Crucifix," from the Latin "crucifixus," which is the past participle of "crucificere," "to fix to a crux." Sometimes Jesus in general is referred to as Crucifixus, "the Crucified One," but the more common name Christ has nothing to do with crosses.
  • edited June 2010
    I'm curious how the abbreviation into "Xmas" came about, now. Surely, the average person doesn't speak much Greek. Is it an old abbreviation then?

    I don't know, might be hypocritical of me since in high school everyone shortened physics and philosophy to φsics and φlo (or sometimes just φ and context dependent) and I never found that weird. I guess the alphabet seems more common knowledge to me than the word for "Christ".
  • edited June 2010
    Also, it's not until the early 3rd century that evidence that the crucifix was used as a symbol by Christians is found. While it does seem that it had been used for some little time before it's being recorded, for more than one hundred years the fish was the symbol used by Christians. There are also many, many different variations on the "cross" shape used by different Christians at different times.

    I've also heard that supposedly Constantine popularized the use of the cross which he identified with the sword, but I doubt the accuracy of this statement since the cross he used looked more like an X and P smooshed on top of each other.
  • edited June 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    I've also heard that supposedly Constantine popularized the use of the cross which he identified with the sword, but I doubt the accuracy of this statement since the cross he used looked more like an X and P smooshed on top of each other.

    Yeah, Constantine popularized the use of the Chi Rho symbol, which is just the first two letters of the word Χριστός layered on top of each other.
  • edited June 2010
    What does the H in "Jesus H Christ!" stand for? Answers on a postcard addressed to Dept. of wildly off-topic threads.
  • edited June 2010
    I know the graphics are supposed to be simple, but they seem too simple in my opinion, and they don't really cater for a memorable and engaging atmosphere. Not that I've played the game yet, or seen all the scenes. At any rate, adventure puzzle games like the Professor Layton series really capture and engross you in its world because it looks good - but it's still very simple. The characters don't really move at all.

    Detailed backgrounds would've been nice. Or a bit more detailing for buildings and items, but I guess "really simple" was the production motto. It'll be fun no matter what.
  • edited June 2010
    I absolutely love the Grickle art style used in the game. And I love that even though it looks like a traditional 2D adventure game at first glance, it still has all of the cinematic camera angles and choreography we've come to expect from Telltale. I'm really looking forward to it.
  • edited June 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    I'm curious how the abbreviation into "Xmas" came about, now.

    It's the work of those secular blasphemers!

    With Christmas being such a popular holiday, the secular world wanted to fully enjoy it as a holiday - without Christ, mind you. Santa, snow, lights, presents, cookies, etc., however, are retained.

    Pun intended: Xmas is Christmas without Christ.

    Nah, that's too simple and convenient an explanation. X has been used instead of Christ throughout history. The secular world, including me, has adapted the word "Xmas" for their very own "Christ"mas though. I choose to ignore the Christian origin of the X :p
  • edited June 2010
    @Lead Eater You do realize that the backgrounds in Puzzle Agent aren't just static backgrounds like in Layton, right? The characters in Puzzle Agent actually move around a fully 3D world so there could possibly be movement and interaction with the world outside of cutscenes! (Yes the Layton sprites kind of jiggle in place, but I don't consider that the same thing as, say, actually walking across an environment.)

    At the same time Layton is set in a quaint "Europe" while Puzzle Agent is in the Northern Reaches of Minnesota. I'd say it's a fairly accurate portrayal of a small, Midwestern town. I especially love the Quonset hut diner :p
  • edited June 2010
    I for one find the game is very atmospheric. Sure the design is simple but it really works, in my opinion, and I'm not a Grickle fan or anything.
  • edited June 2010
    Interesting video, so it's plane driven.
  • edited June 2010
    I thought Tethers gets around on a snowmobile? Okay, seriously, what does "plane driven" mean?
  • edited June 2010
    Lead Eater wrote: »
    Detailed backgrounds would've been nice. Or a bit more detailing for buildings and items, but I guess "really simple" was the production motto. It'll be fun no matter what.

    I think the production motto was "Excelent craft".

    I'm really serious when I say I would love to be able to draw that good.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    I thought Tethers gets around on a snowmobile? Okay, seriously, what does "plane driven" mean?

    It means Taumel likes assuming, and declarative statements.

    Also, again with the ridiculous thread derailment, guys. It's not cool.
  • edited June 2010
    @Lena_P
    I always was wondering how TTG would implement the Grickle look, a) will it be real 3D (a 3D scene with 3D character models and some sort of custom outline shader), b) will it be 3D but instead of 3D models using planes (two combined triangles, so a rectangle, billboards if oriented at the player) where you project the graphics/animations textures on, or c) will it be planes in 2D space like you implement GUIs for instance or d) some sort of combination like mixing 2D and 3D elements where it suits.

    From the video it seems to be that planes are beeing used or that they tweaked the 3D towards the 2D planes look. :O)

    What i found interesting is the deph of field (for cinematic reasons) in a planes world, well i hope it was and not some low res blurred textures.

    Looking forward to it.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.