User Avatar Image

What's your theory about the ending of Monkey Island 2 - LeChuck's Revenge?

posted by pilouuuu on - last edited - Viewed by 21.5K users
Here is mine (obviously full of spoilers about the game):

I think that all anachronisms like cereal boxes, Grog machines, etc are there just for fun as well as the fourth wall breaking stuff like "pirates talked like that" and the Lucasarts phone in the jungle. An amusement park is perfectly normal in a world like this.

My theory is that Big Whoop is a portal. Maybe it travels to different times. Maybe Guybrush went back in time to when he was in his childhood and his parents were alive. That's why his parents wear pirate clothes. Big Whoop is like a time machine.

Maybe LeChuck is really his older brother which went bad when Guybrush was just a baby and left just to become a pirate. His parents never told the truth to Guybrush.

Le Chuck's plan in to go back using the Big Whoop and kill Guybrush while he is a child. After that maybe prevent himself from dying?

Just my theory. I don't believe that "all is a dream" rubbish. It would simply suck in something as brilliant as Monkey Island.

Guybrush and Lechuck are brothers. Le Chuck cast a spell on Guybrush to confuse him. Big Whoop creates a portal to another time when Guybrush was a kid.
252 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • why didnt she try and help him T_T
    Because, apparently, she thought that if anything, it's Guybrush who has to help her to redeem himself :p
  • Sailorcuteness;349809 said:
    why didnt she try and help him T_T
    Farlander;349815 said:
    Because, apparently, she thought that if anything, it's Guybrush who has to help her to redeem himself :p
    Or perhaps she didn't feel like jumping to her death to try and help him.
  • Or perhaps she didn't feel like jumping to her death to try and help him.
    Let's not forget that, unlike Guybrush, she had a perfectly good rope. Elaine's resourceful enough, if she wanted to help Guybrush, she would've done that.

Which, makes me thinking. So, Guybrush tells Elaine the whole story, right? They're both hanging over this pit... Then Guybrush falls down, Elaine sees that, so what does she do? Yes, she climbs up, obviously... Waits a little, hopes that Guybrush didn't get cursed by LeChuck,whom she might or might not have heard and... leaves... apparently. Thinking that Guybrush is dead, killed by LeChuck (if we put CoMI and this) NEVER, not in MI2 or CoMI, thinking that he could've fallen to his death, really. Broke some bones. Legs. Ribs. Stuff like that. Unable to get up. In horrible pain... I mean, Guybrush yelled so hard she must've heard it... Well, yes, he didn't yell because of broken bones, but, nonetheless...

You know what, Elaine in MI2 is a bitch. Not only she's a bitch, she doesn't resemble a bit the "motherly figure" Ron visioned her. Not a hint of that.
  • ^ that's why I much preferred there relationship in SMI CMI EMI & TMI and dont like how there potrayed in LR
  • Farlander;349825 said:

You know what, Elaine in MI2 is a bitch. Not only she's a bitch, she doesn't resemble a bit the "motherly figure" Ron visioned her. Not a hint of that.
    Was the "motherly figure" really part of Ron's interpretation for Elaine?
  • Was the "motherly figure" really part of Ron's interpretation for Elaine?
    Well, he said that it was his interpretation if he were to make MI3, and that he thinks that Elaine and Guybrush wouldn't have married.

But so far I don't see how she is at least a bit or could've become one. If we take only MI2 (and maybe MI1) into consideration, that is.
  • Farlander;349928 said:

But so far I don't see how she is at least a bit or could've become one. If we take only MI2 (and maybe MI1) into consideration, that is.
    The "mother aspect" is new to me. I'm sure the kick ass pirate bride image she's gotten wasn't Ron's idea though. I think she should have stayed the "unapproachable" politician she used to be. Just with more screen time.
  • Ron's vision for Elaine was that she thought of Guybrush as a little brother. Which fits quite well with the Star Wars storyline they were going for (you know, not so subtle hints of incest).
  • Ron's vision for Elaine was that she thought of Guybrush as a little brother.
    A motherly figure that thought of Guybrush as a little brother :p I distinctly remember reading Ron somewhere say the "motherly figure" part.
  • Chyron8472;321478 said:
    There are people who say that Ron Gilbert says that CMI got off track with the Guybrush+Elaine relationship, while I believe that it's Revenge's depiction of their relationship that doesn't fit, rather than CMI.

I do understand and can agree with the idea that, in Revenge, Elaine may have been hurt by Guybrush's insensitivity, but that still doesn't sufficiently explain [...]why Ron would say that she sees Guybrush more as a little brother when she might as well have said she loved him and wanted to have sex with him in the first game when she came to rescue him after being thrown off the dock. This doesn't sound little-brother-ish to me.
Add Comment