User Avatar Image

Countdown to Ep 5: "The City That Dares Not Sleep"

posted by Jake Telltale Alumni on - last edited - Viewed by 15.5K users
Whoa is it time for one of these already? Probably not, but here it is anyway.

So yeah, July's pretty close to done so it's time for the Final Count..down... thread. Hm. I didn't expect to go there at all. My apologies.

I'm Jake, and as many of you guys know from elsewhere on the forums, I wear quite a few hats around the TTG offices. The last few months, I have been fortunate enough to wear the hat of "director" for the final chapter of The Devil's Playhouse, "The City That Dares Not Sleep.".

I'll be hanging around this thread for between now and release, answering questions and dropping amazingly obscure, indecipherable, impenetrable, mind-rending hints about the final episode. Which you guys will surely figure out within like ten minutes, causing me to freak out thinking I've unwittingly spoiled the season finale for you. Fortunately, you'll then inevitably second guess yourselves and get it all horribly wrong a few days after that.

The episode was written and designed by Chuck Jordan (writer/designer/director of The Penal Zone, and lord overseer of the whole season), who is enjoying his new exotic life outside the office (which means he's probably at home on his couch playing Limbo on XBLA), but hopefully he can be coaxed into stopping by as well to help field things, too.

So yeah, the questions, the speculating: Fire away!

Uhhh, uhhh, bullet points.... Stemmle had all those cool bullet points. Dammit. Bullets.

I am less prepared than Mike "Master of the Countdown Thread" Stemmle, if you didn't notice. My bullet points, however, far outclass those of any prior thread. Feast:
  • It's the last episode of the season.
  • It features some very nice decorative clocks and lamps which I think you'll enjoy.
What more do you need to know?
594 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • That concept art makes me happy. Why? Because it reminds me of one of my favorite Sam & Max locations ever: '80s Stinky's Diner. Granted, it's not exactly a strong likeness or anything, but it has that same '80s-ish look of the diner.
  • Personally, it reminds me of a kitchen we once had. Except without all the doodads that would've made it "B-movie sci-fi retro chic" instead of just plain "retro."

I would start some unbridled speculation about that white thing towards the bottom, but I think I need the first good night's rest I've had this week before that -- my brain keeps circling back to it being the chute for a juicer. Hrmph. :p
  • Personally, I think the white thing may be part of one of the "decorative lamps". Or maybe not. *shrug*

Though now that I look at it again, I'm pretty that the room is inside Max. Just look at that lava lamp spine!
  • It's obvious through the concept art that we need to go back to the 70's and infiltrate the swingers party where Max was conceived.
  • Zeek;355835 said:
    BTW, does anyone else have this urge to post that image in the public Sam & Max board claiming that Episode 5 will be done in 2D a la Puzzle Agent? The wanna-be Chaos God in me is really probing me to do that...
    MY GOD YES!

put it in the ep 5 speculation thread, POSTHASTE!
  • Jake;355031 said:

I'm Jake, and as many of you guys know from elsewhere on the forums, I wear quite a few hats around the TTG offices. The last few months, I have been fortunate enough to wear the hat of "director" for the final chapter of The Devil's Playhouse, "The City That Dares Not Sleep.".
    What is it with you game companies and hats?
  • The Highway;355972 said:
    MY GOD YES!

put it in the ep 5 speculation thread, POSTHASTE!
    Done and done...
  • Ok, everyone go along with this and see reactions...
  • Now this is going to be priceless.
    Oh, the hate! The hate!
  • @Zeek: those who haven't read this thread will take some convincing that it's from S&M 305.
Add Comment