User Avatar Image

Your opinions on 304? [SPOILERS]

posted by Hatley on - last edited - Viewed by 2.4K users
Mine:Godlike.
The return of Bluster Blaster, the comical Sal abuse and a plot twistier than a corkscrew (Yeah, cheesy comparison) made this one of my favourites, who'd thought that the ultimate villian would be [SPOILER]Demon max?[/SPOILER]
149 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Graywing;353570 said:
    I'm just plighting to keep things readable for people new to this thread and you personally attack me, if you want to write long posts why not start your own thread? I would be happy to read them then.

But really, this is your answer? You hate me and I should die ? Really? (I do hope you realize what kind of awful things you are wishing upon me)

Well thanks!
    YOu're taking humor far too seriously, and I'm sorry you did because I really wasn't going for that kind of reaction. Hell, I only used the word die because it rhymes with pie! It's hard to convey a point in such a small space, but I attempted to in this case for the sake of humor. It apparently did not go over well with you, though I apparently have some positive reviews of that post as well, so it's at least subjective. Anyway, I do apologize that you took it literally.

Long posts are perfectly readable. In fact, they're a good deal BETTER than short ones. "I liked the game. Puzzles good. Graphics good. Soda Poppers BAD!!!! NO SODA POPPERS!! Music good!". I prefer my discussion forums not to be a simple catalog of opinions, and that's what you get closer to when you're asking people to trim out hundreds of words. And inflection is somewhat lost as well, notice my summary of WHY YOUR POST WAS BAD.

In all of my longer posts, I think about what to say and how to say it, and how what I'm saying contributes to the overall message that I'm trying to convey. It's not an extended analytical thing for me, but something that just comes naturally when writing anything of somewhat substantial length, forum posts included. Hell, I've even excluded a lot of thoughts, much to my detriment, because the way I presented my opinions seems to have allowed everyone else to say I have a narrowed viewpoint, when I'm just trying to keep it trimmed down to what's important. I've happily read longer forum posts than the one in this thread, I've written longer posts, and I think they contribute a great deal more than something that amounts to a list of common categories next to switches marked "Yay" and "Nay".

Also, there's a cool thing about long forum posts, and that's that people can elect not to read them at all. A person who thinks of forums as long lists of opinions that either clash with or affirm their own? They can just scroll right past. Hell, the post isn't even taking up real-estate in the thread! There is no limit to how many words can be in a thread! I'm not using up a limited resource! So it's cool! People who hate reading, people who see large boxes of text as incendiary attacks to the eyeballs? You can escape! Stop and scroll!

-----
    OnlyAMonkey, your post is less inflammatory, but the problem is that it's now confusing, self-contradictory, and implies that everyone should be searching to be in equilibrium with everyone else. You say I should like something because most people like it, or dislike it because most people dislike it, in order to "sacrifice for a greater good". I don't think homogeneity is in the best interests of a discussion forum, unless the point of a forum is to allow the largest subset of people to have their opinions affirmed by others rather than to, well, discuss with a variety of thoughts and viewpoints.

Also, I could totally be snarky and go to town about your "how people see things" remark, but suffice it to say I think you should read over your own post and see where you may have said things that contradict what you say elsewhere in the same post.
  • User Avatar Image
    Jake Telltale Alumni
    Andrew Ryan;353445 said:
    Bite sized rant... Hm... Is it too late to change my username?
    If it'd stop your in-character posting, no, it's never too late to change your username.
  • Jake;354471 said:
    If it'd stop your in-character posting, no, it's never too late to change your username.
    Jake, my good friend! You know my in character work livens up the place. You'd miss it if it were gone, I'm sure.
  • User Avatar Image
    Jake Telltale Alumni
    Also, Rather Dashing, Greywing, and anyone else involved in your "talk to each other about the contents of your posts, instead of about 'your opinions on 304,'" take your conversations to PMs right now.

If you guys have something to say to each other and just each other -- and you've been spilling a lot of ink on the meta-conversation within this thread, so I'm assuming you do -- PMs should be a perfectly fine place to continue the conversation.

If you feel that's not appropriate, if you feel you need an audience to continue blasting your thoughts on each other out into the forums at full volume for the entertainment or interest of others in public, then, well, I hope you can see how dumb that would be without having to go further.
  • Jake;354477 said:
    Also, Rather Dashing, Greywing, and anyone else involved in your talk to each other about the contents of your posts, instead of about "your opinions on 304," take your conversations to PMs right now.

If you guys have something to say to each other -- and you've been spilling a lot of ink on the meta-conversation within this thread, so I'm assuming you do -- PMs should be a perfectly fine place to continue the conversation. If you feel that's not appropriate, if you feel you need an audience to continue blasting your thoughts on each other out into the forums at full volume for the entertainment or interest of others in public, then you guys should just stop entirely.
    Ah, you're right, of course. It's totally veered completely out of the correct context. Whether or not it's a useful discussion to have, I now realize that it's not a useful discussion to have here, and I apologize for derailing without thinking about it.
  • Seriously this season has been so good.... I just can't see a better sam and max game. Now telltale that doesn't mean I don't want a season 4 (needs it) but just wow. This episode also just..... is it just me or the the scope a lot more epic this time arround.
  • I think if they did a Season 4, it would be in a completely different style. All elements of the paranormal stuff have been explored in Seasons 2 and 3 and I think it could come back but not be the main focus.

As long as they could create the same new great characters they have for this series (skunkape, papierwaite, norrington, sal) with all the planning they do, I'm sure they couldn't go far wrong with another season.
  • Rather Dashing;354479 said:
    Ah, you're right, of course. It's totally veered completely out of the correct context. Whether or not it's a useful discussion to have, I now realize that it's not a useful discussion to have here, and I apologize for derailing without thinking about it.
    I apologize for this thread-derailment and no hard feelings about your reaction, as said I probably took it a bit to literal. So big hugs for everybody (limited supply, one per customer) and lets get things back on track:

After a week letting the experience sink in, I found a couple of things I did not like with 304:
    • Traveling between locations took more time then it should. Phones were located at inconvenient places (Momma Bosco's lab for example). So most of the time it took less time just walking from point A to B.
    • It took me quite a while to realize the dementional destabilsor was actually of any use. If you converse with Momma Bosco about it before you are able to operate it, the reaction suggests its as useful as all of the other devices in the room.
    • Somehow a bug with Momma Bosco not wanting to teleport onto the platform had me puzzled. No matter what I tried she wouldn't get up there. I enabled the hint system and it didn't spout any useful tips on getting her up there. (in the end she did teleport.. reluctantly)
    • Stop getting my hopes up by labeling dr. Norrington's office as "Office" on the teleportation toy!...
    So in the end, all problems were (even if they weren't) caused by Momma Bosco. And on a side note: All glory to Buster Blaster!
  • Attitudes

First off I will say that I love the Sam & Max games. "Hey, I'm playing Sam & Max!" is the dominant thought for me, which overshadows any thoughts of presumed gameplay length. What's great about the series is that each one strives to improve from the previous episode. Think back to the first season when, at the time, the fans were like "Sam & Max 3d game! Awesome!" Now we have season three, much more epic and mold-breaking episodes. I like the 6 episode length of season one but plot and puzzlewize there was a sameness overall, the typical two sets of three elements stuff. Even season 2 dealt with some of that.

Mold-breaking is the name of the game. I guess that's why many of the old characters have been removed. In many cases it's because the jokes have been too familiar. "What's crazy Sybil got for a job this time?" "What's crazy Bosco paranoid about this time?" Episode 301 is a treasure trove for those familiar with the lore of the past games because so many questions about missing bits can be answered.

Changes

Like I mentioned several things are gone for season three that I am happy with. At top are the driving and/or shooting mini-games from the past. At those points it was "great, now I've got to bust out poor skills instead of my wits". The DeSoto has been underplayed this season, mostly due to teleportation or other psychic travel like astral projector. The car has been beaten up so much recently that I hope it gets a break soon.

Though some characters are gone I still wish that they get a chance to cameo in the last episode. Boscoe being replaced by the (somehow reversed aged, when compared to her 205 appearance) ghost mom. Him and Buster Blaster going to Vegas was an interesting write off. I keep hoping at the beginning of the season that there would be a vegas episode, which would open the chance for bad magic acts and whatnot. Though it makes sense that Buster Blaster doesn't stay with the COPS. He doesn't have some useful function and he can't easily fit in the DeSoto along with everyone else.

That's something I kinda miss from the the past two seasons: a sense of travel. Sure, in season 1 it was only Straight&Narrow plus some other spot (expanded in season two). But exploring more of the city is nice.

In fact, if one was only to piece together the major beats of the season (excluding astral projection in the past) this is the only Sam & Max case to take place in UNDER 3 DAYS! The amount of immediate plot connection from one episode to the next is amazing and well done. Past seasons had over-arcing plots and at the start of episodes the characters suggest that like the audience a month has past in-between (excluding 204/205). For season 3 Sam & Max deal with Sunkape in one day; watch/experience the events of their ancestors in the evening during a movie; max gets his brain stolen, Sam solves the case that night and the reality shift could almost make a time loop; and now later in that same night we have episode 4. Wow. And future vision cues suggest that episode 5 takes place the morning after the statue of liberty incident. And we have yet to step into Sam & Max's office. Give a hand up for the writing staff (claps)

Even season three changes come to fruition for episode 4. We finally get a full bevy of Toys of Power instead of two or three. Especially given the wait between the usage of some of the toys like the mind reading cards. In fact, using toys with specific powers reminds me of episode 106 with all the magical talismans.

Fav Moments

In the first dinner scene there is the picture of the DeSoto. Using Rhinoplasty turns Max into the...little DeSoto. I kept that form for most of the game even though it would alert the Sam clones.

Grandpa Stinky eating the Max cake. I kept waiting for a "is my spleen missing" or such joke since a part of the cake was taken.

Charlie Ho-Tep. I wasn't expecting this and despite the slight stereotype it was well played. The game provides subtle hints to Charlie's plights at becoming the villain. At first I was like "Charlie's back? Sweet, time for ventriloquisim fun!" Cruising through that penultimate scene I thought "Ok, let's distract the clones with Buster Blaster again OMG THE DUMMY IS ALIVE!!" Upon this revelation at the next available moment I decided to go to an earlier save point because I had missed the Master option at the microphone. I replay the events up to that point again and when I activate ventriloquism with this new knowledge I notice Charlie's position and his eyeball: HE HAS BEEN STARING AT US THE ENTIRE SEASON! Creepy.

One of the random dialogs when talking to Max, mentioning how the Devil hasn't appeared since it's his toybox in the title. Despite the backstory that still would be cool, see below.

Glitches

I had the disappearing sticky notes during the destabilizer puzzle, which made it all the more challenging. But the craziest ones were in the cloning chamber once Sal had dropped. Sam & Max were looking up at the center and I forgot what I clicked on but suddenly they were up on the command center without using the phone! Then after future vision I thought of shooting Stinky and they were back on the balcony shooting up at her! Another time I got them up there normally and took the elevator back down but Sam got stuck in the hole for the lift, unable to move. Switching in and out of Max mode fixed that and it never happened again.

Predictions

There are still plenty of of things left unanswered for the finale. I think there could be main Toy of Power or two missing. In the season trailer there is what looks like a pair of x-ray specs with the other toys, which is odd because we already have a goggle toy with the future vision but it could be for actually seeing through things, unless that was a beta element.

Sam will end up eaten by Max and that would lead him to a dark dimension place to live out all of the future visions from the destabilizer puzzle. This is probably how you get back the real Max.

Telltale rarely has throwaway characters. Heck, even Brady Culture gets another appearance after 2 seasons from 101 to 205. So anyone new from season 3 is good game for return. I still think the random tourist guy might be part of something bigger. While playing I thought he might be the Master because that would be so out of left field but then Charlie Ho-Tep comes out of right field.

And the alien brain is bound to return. Lots of brains this season: alien brain, Sammunmak (Sam and Max) brain, Max's brain. He could be the big bad behind everything. My top picks are the alien brain, the narrator, and the tourist guy. The narrator's pretty cool. I'm sure he'll directly interact with the characters at some point. He almost sounds like Beelzebub from season 2 though it just might be the accent. Also, I thought Charlie's squeaky voice sounded alot like the Soda Poppers so it could be one of the voice actors, I can't remember.

Beelzebub would be a cool reappearance. At the end of 205 he menacingly mentions that he will meet Sam & Max again. Despite him showing up at the wedding during the credits the menace is very suggestive. After all, the series is about his playhouse, it seems.

If Leonard Steakcharmer, Jurgen's Monster, or Philo Pennyworth showed up again that would be hilarious. But that's mostly wishful thinking.

Sal is not dead (characters in these games never stay "dead" for long". He just fell a long ways and is probably trapped somewhere, unable to hear here. Momma Bosco has also wandered off by this time so maybe she found him while exploring the cloning chamber.

Puddin' head Lincoln and the Chrysler Building incident will occur. All minor future visions (not the wrong future episode 1 prologue) have occurred by plot events on and off screen. Also I like all the events throughout the season where Sam is worried that Max's powers will become disastrous.
  • qwertyuiop;356901 said:
    There are still plenty of of things left unanswered for the finale. I think there could be main Toy of Power or two missing. In the season trailer there is what looks like a pair of x-ray specs with the other toys, which is odd because we already have a goggle toy with the future vision but it could be for actually seeing through things, unless that was a beta element.
    qwertyuiop;356901 said:
    Puddin' head Lincoln
    The x-ray specs are the Nutrispecs, a hidden toy in The Penal Zone, that's still a PS3 exclusive so far even though it was planned for the PC/Mac versions. The Pudding Head Lincoln scene happens with the Nutrispecs.
    (I don't have the PS3 version myself but it has been mentioned several times on these forums)
Add Comment