User Avatar Image

No More External LucasArts Development?

posted by TheMadSpin on - last edited - Viewed by 993 users
So, stop me if you've heard this one, but GameInformer.com had this little bidness on their page:

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/08/17/the-force-unleashed-3-already-canceled.aspx

Which includes this nugget:

"If things are looking bad for internal development at LucasArts, it's nothing compared to external development; Meegan is also allegedly putting a stop to external studios working on LucasArts' properties. This would mean that after BioWare's MMO The Old Republic, we wouldn't see any more KOTOR titles, nor additional LEGO games made by Traveller's Tales."

If this is true, does this mean we won't be seeing any more Tales of Monkey Island games? I hope that the close relationship between these two houses means that TellTaleGames and Monkey Island are safe from this particular lock down (if it's even true), but I have to admit that I'm a little worried.
56 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • So basically Lucas arts went from almost cool again to road kill on hot pavement!
  • If they're gonna can there relationship with Bioware I wouldn't have much hope for Telltale
  • If it's true, their new president is incompetent. Lucasarts has always made a hell of a lot of money on their licensing deals, and just outright canning them is an absolutely horrible idea.
  • SHODANFreeman;362800 said:
    If it's true, their new president is incompetent. Lucasarts has always made a hell of a lot of money on their licensing deals, and just outright canning them is an absolutely horrible idea.
    Plus apparently something's bad for internal development so that mean's they're getting screwed too.

I knew this new person was bad.
  • TheMadSpin;362793 said:
    So, stop me if you've heard this one, but GameInformer.com had this little bidness on their page:

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/08/17/the-force-unleashed-3-already-canceled.aspx

Which includes this nugget:

"If things are looking bad for internal development at LucasArts, it's nothing compared to external development; Meegan is also allegedly putting a stop to external studios working on LucasArts' properties. This would mean that after BioWare's MMO The Old Republic, we wouldn't see any more KOTOR titles, nor additional LEGO games made by Traveller's Tales."

If this is true, does this mean we won't be seeing any more Tales of Monkey Island games? I hope that the close relationship between these two houses means that TellTaleGames and Monkey Island are safe from this particular lock down (if it's even true), but I have to admit that I'm a little worried.
    So this means no more telltale and lucasarts licensing(tales 2 is officially no more unless it was already started maybe) no lego games(which was a pretty good selling series star wars alone) and no good games. good choice lucasarts:D
  • Seriously, even though I don't like Star Wars I loved the Lego StarWars. And I know people that bought each and everyone.
    Same with the KOTOR games.

Also now zero chance of a Grim Fandango Revival. :/
  • Does this decrease the chances for a The Dig II?
  • Maybe Lucasarts are going down the BP route of "coming back smaller and wiser"

There'll always be a niche for the games they're most famous for (pointan and clickan/light saberan) so I don't see why they don't use game studios who are hitting there stride to help them out. Maybe the new prez is a genius playing the long game, or maybe he's just a tithead trying to save cash... by making no games :confused:
  • If this is true, I have one thing to say to whoever's running Lucasarts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDW0ZnZxjn4 (Thanks for St.LouisRibs for the link.)
Add Comment