User Avatar Image

Puzzle Agent: Missing GUI widgets in main menu

posted by Tor on - last edited - Viewed by 2.8K users
Have any of you fine gentlemen seen this issue before?

On my laptop computer, several GUI elements in the Puzzle Agent main menu are invisible. The buttons and controls still work, I just can't see them. I haven't yet started playing the game, just in case parts of the ingame graphics are missing as well.

The laptop uses an Intel 4 series GPU. Everything works correctly on my desktop (ATI GPU), but I'd like to play this game on the laptop because it has tablet functionality (I'd like to use stylus input).

The laptop has Windows XP and Windows 7 installed, I get the same issue in both operating systems. I tried upgrading the graphics driver (from 6.14.10.5225 to 6.14.10.5268) but this doesn't change anything. Windows Update is enabled and I have all the latest OS updates.

Screenshots:
http://i45.tinypic.com/2mfac5u.png
http://i46.tinypic.com/nckwif.png
http://i49.tinypic.com/jhy7ts.png
41 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Same Problem here. WinXP 32Bit, Radeon 5670 (Catalyst 10.8).
  • Ridiculous, actually. I do not see why I should even bother changing my locale for a faulty piece of software. Telltale, please fix! I got Puzzle Agent as part of the Adventure Bundle, and given all the trouble and technical issues I've had with it, I am close to dispute the credit card invoice since I have received a totally faulty product!

Best
  • I'm seeing the same thing as Sir Primalform Magnifico. Running XP SP3 on a Lenovo G530 laptop.

None of the solutions given above apply in my situation. My localization settings are, and have always been, set to English (United States). DirectX is regularly updated. So I have no idea if there's anything I can possibly do, other than just wait for a patch.

P.S. Oh, and I also played the Puzzle Agent demo a few weeks ago. Didn't have the same problem then, so I'm guessing something got borked when the package was prepared for the adventure bundle.
  • Almost certainly not going to happen... Telltale don't seem to patch anything EVER. What graphics chipset does your laptop have KevinTMC?
  • Yikes. Good thing they usually seem to get things right the first time then.

My Lenovo has the Mobile Intel GMA 4500M chipset. It's generally been really good for integrated laptop video--though I've also had a recurring quirk with some Steam games. A number of their indie/small-publisher titles flicker like mad when I try to run them full-screen, so I have to keep them in windowed.
  • Aha, exactly the same as mine! I suspect this has something to do with the problem. I've never had that flickering problem though...
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    Sir Primalform Magnifico;378427 said:
    Almost certainly not going to happen... Telltale don't seem to patch anything EVER.
    Actually that issue is being fixed at the moment. You can follow the progress in this thread.

There were updated versions of other games before for critical bugs, but usually they come as a new installer and sadly it wasn't advertised much in the past when new versions were available.
  • evenprime;376656 said:
    Quick fix for missing text in Puzzle Agent:

Go into Windows' "System Settings" -> "Region and Language" (Icon is a globe and a clock) -> in tab "Formats" (its the first tab usually) set "Format" in Dropdown-menu from whatever you are currently using e.g. "Deutsch (Deutschland)" to "English (USA)".
    Thanks so much for this hint!
    After all the trouble I had with installing (or at least trying to) the Adventure Pack, I'm really happy that I *finally* could play.
  • DjNDB;378870 said:
    Actually that issue is being fixed at the moment. You can follow the progress in this thread.

There were updated versions of other games before for critical bugs, but usually they come as a new installer and sadly it wasn't advertised much in the past when new versions were available.
    Hmmm, Will mentions the localisation bug but not the main bug from this thread which is demonstrated in the screenshot I posted. The localisation guys kind of took over this thread... I hope they're also fixing our bug.
  • Damnit, they're ignoring this bug.
This discussion has been closed.