User Avatar Image

IWWHIIWWHITOMIROTPG: The Game!

posted by monkey_05_06 on - last edited - Viewed by 10.6K users
So based on the "When will 'I wonder what happens... 105' be released?" thread there's been a lot of hype over an "I Wonder What Happens..." for Majus' upcoming video. There's even another thread full of awesome people who are planning a project similar to this one.

I do stress similar due to the fact that unlike what most people would expect from an IWWH...this is not in fact a video project. No, once I realized that people were serious about IWWHIIWWHITOMIROTPG, I decided to take a different approach to it. Something a bit more interactive.

So I quickly commissioned my friend Ben to help me with this "super quick miniproject". Of course both of us being absurd as we are decided to take the thing far more seriously than entirely necessary, and it wasn't long before Ben had produced this mock-up:

NEW: (as far as you know but not really :p)

The game has been designed using the Adventure Game Studio engine by Chris Jones. I myself programmed the game (within the AGS engine of course). Ben (a fellow AGSer) has done all the artwork. And we've even gotten a couple of voice actors signed up.

This is a super awesome fan game of a fan video of a licensed game series based on characters created in an original game series from the '90s. :D

Current project members include:

monkey_05_06 (T, A) - Project lead, scripting, design, dialogues
Ben304 (A) - Graphics, testing, puzzle design
Maxilyah (T) - Voice acting (Morgan), testing, puzzle design, dialogues
Icedhope (T) - Voice acting (LeChuck, ###), testing
puzzlebox (T) - Voice acting (Elaine, narrator)
Secret Fawful (T) - Voice acting (Guybrush), testing
Calin Leafshade (A) - Voice acting (Winslow)
m0ds (A) - Music
hplikelike (T) - Sound Effects
Sylvr (A) - Testing
tbm1986 (T) - Testing
[ Arj0n ] (A) - BETA tester
Silverwolfpet (T, A) - BETA tester
Skarnet (T) - BETA tester
Gadesa (T) - BETA tester
Edward VanHelgen (T) - BETA tester
PolloDiablo (T) - BETA tester

T - TellTale forum member, A - AGS forum member
Unless otherwise noted "testing" indicates testing during alpha development stage.

Credit for the original plotline of this game goes to StLouisRibs (T) who came up with this script, which was the concept from which this game was built. Mad props to StLouisRibs for this.

Oh, also this, from a PM:
Majus said:
Hey monkey!

You are a hero! I think it’s brilliant that you want to make IWWHIIWWHITOMIROTPG, and what a chatchy short name!
It is time.

That's right people! The moment you've been waiting for since practically forever has finally come! IWWHIIWWHITOMIROTPG: The Game! is finally here!

There are still some things that I'd like to be able to do to this game, so there's a good chance that this might still be updated with changes in the future, but you've all been asking for it, so here it is:

Download (full game) (35.43 MB)
Download (no speech) (1.47 MB)
Speech file download (33.96 MB)
Alternate Download README
Mirror on MegaUpload (Thanks [ Arj0n ]!)

I included the game without speech for those either without speakers or who just simply prefer the game that way or have slower connections. The speech file is also available as a standalone download in case you grabbed the wrong file. Just put it in the same folder as the game.

Controls are:

Arrow keys/Num Pad/WASD: Movement
Left click: Interact/talk to/look at (interacts wherever applicable)
Right click: Look at
Ctrl+Q/Ctrl+C/Alt+X: Quit game

There's also been some rumours circulating about some type of "cheat codes" so keep an eye out for those as well.

Enjoy the game folks!

-monkey
313 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The Highway;367911 said:
    I see no reason why it should be questionable if it is for free and for a fan project supporting the game
    You obviously haven't done your research on recent MI fan games. I see no problem with it either, but it hasn't stopped LucasArts from ceasing and desisting close to a dozen significant fan projects.
  • Hayden;367924 said:
    You obviously haven't done your research on recent MI fan games. I see no problem with it either, but it hasn't stopped LucasArts from ceasing and desisting close to a dozen significant fan projects.
    yeah, but lucasarts can go die in a hole.
  • The Highway;367927 said:
    yeah, but lucasarts can go die in a hole.
    Heh, that's just the sort of reply I'd expect from you. And I don't necessarily mean that in the bad way :).

Anyway, you do share the same opinion as many. I hate the fact that LucasArts decided to stop so many fan projects in their tracks. And they've all been non-profit games as well; games made by fans for fans purely for enjoyment on both ends. It's not as though the games would have affected the company even in the slightest. It wouldn't affect sales, which means that there'd be no financial problems for LucasArts, and because the games are unofficial, they're not even affecting the canon or timeline in any way either. I dunno, LucasArts are the masters of proverbial wankery these days, so what should we expect?
  • Hayden;367942 said:
    Heh, that's just the sort of reply I'd expect from you. And I don't necessarily mean that in the bad way :).
    Yep, I'm pretty anti-Lucasarts.
    And speak my mind.
  • Hayden;367942 said:

Anyway, you do share the same opinion as many. I hate the fact that LucasArts decided to stop so many fan projects in their tracks. And they've all been non-profit games as well; games made by fans for fans purely for enjoyment on both ends. It's not as though the games would have affected the company even in the slightest. It wouldn't affect sales, which means that there'd be no financial problems for LucasArts, and because the games are unofficial, they're not even affecting the canon or timeline in any way either. I dunno, LucasArts are the masters of proverbial wankery these days, so what should we expect?
    You know, I've noticed TellTale is a lot milder with copyright and stuff then LucasArts, so I wonder if a fangame starring Winslow or Morgan or DeSinge would have a better chance of not being taken down.
  • apenpaap;367976 said:
    You know, I've noticed TellTale is a lot milder with copyright and stuff then LucasArts, so I wonder if a fangame starring Winslow or Morgan or DeSinge would have a better chance of not being taken down.
    That's sort of what I've been thinking. I mean, they allowed the first IWWHIIWWHITOMI, so perhaps a few more may be allowed (as well as similar fan projects). It's still a risky thing, though. Especially seeing as how LucasArts still owns the license.

Also: What's the maximum penalty infringing upon copyright laws if the fan game is non-profit. Is the 'cease & desist' order the worst that could happen? (There's probably no straight answer to this question, as there are too many factors involved, but I'll just ask anyway).

Extra note: Oh, I also just realized that you only mentioned characters exclusively from Tales, meaning that they aren't owned by LucasArts. Or are they? Oh no, not this conversation/argument/debate again.
  • Hayden;367988 said:
    That's sort of what I've been thinking. I mean, they allowed the first IWWHIIWWHITOMI, so perhaps a few more may be allowed (as well as similar fan projects). It's still a risky thing, though. Especially seeing as how LucasArts still owns the license.

Also: What's the maximum penalty infringing upon copyright laws if the fan game is non-profit. Is the 'cease & desist' order the worst that could happen? (There's probably no straight answer to this question, as there are too many factors involved, but I'll just ask anyway).

Extra note: Oh, I also just realized that you only mentioned characters exclusively from Tales, meaning that they aren't owned by LucasArts. Or are they? Oh no, not this conversation/argument/debate again.
    I think this is true, but the cease & desist manoeuvre can still be used if you use any character, location or item created by LucasArts.
  • The worst that LA could do to a nonprofit fan game project would be ultimately to file legal suite for copyright infringement. Digital copyright laws in the US include nonprofit infringement.

However, if the files were not publicly distributed (i.e., during development) then a C&D would likely be the most they could get away with. Of course, they can afford a much fancier lawyer (Stan!! :cool:) than I can, so if they really ever wanted to press the issue, they probably would. Not necessarily that they would have a legitimate case, but they could tie it up in so much legal red tape that it would financially ruin me for life. :D

That is being a bit overly dramatic. If such a project were ever started and LA were to C&D it, development would be stopped instantaneously. I'm not one to try my luck on that front. I may consider trying to negotiate afterward, but development would be stopped until further notice.

As for TTG being more lenient, yes, they allowed this game, but don't forget that they C&D'd the ToMI 2D project. Even TTG has their limits on what they consider acceptable. One-time usage of their characters, referencing their storyline is apparently okay (in this particular instance); continuous usage of their copyrighted materials may not prove to be so.

Just some thoughts. Copyright is a very fickle thing at times, largely depending on arbitrary decisions whether it is acceptable or not. Lots of gray area.
  • I wouldn't want to give anyone the wrong idea, and I refuse to provide any further details than this, but I sent an email which by now is hopefully being reviewed by TTG's legal department. They haven't yet responded, which I want to believe just means they're developing an awesome legally binding response which will take centuries to draft, millenia to proof, and eons thereafter to print..I mean..wait, what? :eek:

If anyone asks directly about this post, there's a good chance I might blatantly deny everything contained therein, and indeed the post itself. Especially the last two statements (inclusively). :cool:
  • I just had a thought. What if you were to create the fan game that you intend to make, but just change the names of all of the copyrighted characters and locations? That's what the team making 'Monkey Island: The Lost Years' resorted to in order to avoid infringement (the project now being called 'Picaroon: The Lost Years'). So what if you were to do the same? The names may not even need to be changed that much: 'Guybrusch Threepwhood', 'Skabb Island'... or perhaps that may still be getting a little too close for comfort. The names may need to be changed more to avoid infringement of any kind.

Or do you think that, if names were to be changed, that it would detract from the final product and make the games seem too distant from the MI series almost to the point that they wouldn't feel like fan games anymore? Or could you see it working?

Hmm... either way, though, it's still a risk.

Damn it, it would just be nice if all of this legal bullcrap didn't have to interfere and get in the way of innocent, harmless projects (I'm referring to all of the fan projects that have been ceased & desisted in the past, not just this potential project - which doesn't actually exist in any physical form as of yet). It's quite frustrating, really.
Add Comment