User Avatar Image

Tales of Monkey Island - Characters just messy polygons.

posted by dmmaxwell on - last edited - Viewed by 3.6K users
System specs: P4 2.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9250, all drivers updated, including directx.

Everything starts up fine, but I cannot set the graphics quality higher than 3, and all the characters (LeChuck, Elaine, etc...) look like masses of jumbled polygons. Everything else looks fine, and all the Strong Bad games work fine on my machine, as well.

I've tried just about all the in-game settings, various resolutions, graphics settings 3, 2, and 1. No luck. The background objects look great, the characters look like crud.

Any suggestions?
80 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Just sent the following to the support address:

Please see: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=193979

I and a host of others had been talking with one of your employees, Will, about this, but have had no response for some time now. I assume this means that Will has been assigned to other things, so I thought I would try the support email address.

Summarized, our situation is this: We in that thread all have PC's that fit the requirements for many games, including TOMI, with one thing in common; we all have ATI Radeon 9200 / 9250 graphics cards. Other games we have purchased from Telltale, as well as other companies, have worked just fine on our systems, but TOMI does not. I posted a screen shot of what we are seeing in the thread linked above.

Last time we heard from Will, Telltale had obtained a Radeon 9250 for testing. This was well over a month ago, and we have had no update since then. If Telltale has no intention of fixing this, fine. However, an answer, be it positive or negative, would reflect better on Telltale than silence.

Please let me (us) know what's going on with this situation.

Thanks.

-David.

I'll let you all know what response I get, if any. If I don't hear from Telltale within 2 weeks, I'll consider this issue abandoned.
  • I agree, one way or the other i would just like a response as to the possibility of the issue being resolved or not which is all i ever really asked for, thanks for emailing on behalf of all of us struggling with the same issue
  • Will;150110 said:
    I'm afraid your video card just may not be up to challenge. Normally in this situation I would suggest updating drivers and directX, but since they have both been covered already, you may just need a refund. One other thing you can try is the Omega Drivers. They sometimes work better with ATIs of that generation.
    Telltale does not seem to give refunds. I have an email telling me they will refund my money because the game simply will not play on my computer, even after updating ALL the drivers. Once that promise was made, they no longer respond to my email nor do they give any indication that there is any value to their word. I wonder if the problems with this game is putting them out of business. I sure would be careful about any 'series' commitment with them.
  • We definitely do offer refunds and have given out several for this issue already. Auntie, if you didn't receive your email, could you tell me what your ticket number is? As for the issue, it's still on our graphics department, but he is still swamped with some other problems at the moment.

I'd love to get this working, but realistically it probably won't be coming any time soon. We've only got the one guy and he is one of the busiest in the whole company. Again, I'd be more than happy to offer refunds.
  • Nevermind Auntie, I found your ticket. It seems your ticket got stuck on someone who no longer does support any more. Check your email.
  • :D I've updated my driver through the driver update in windows, and it worked.
    Posting a screenshot of the driver i'm running right now.
    Good luck.
  • Windows doesn't find any updates for my radeon 9250. I installed a update from Amd website. That didn't work. Is it simply down to the pixel shader only being 1.4. In this case no solution I guess. Shame.
  • Will;195132 said:
    We definitely do offer refunds and have given out several for this issue already. Auntie, if you didn't receive your email, could you tell me what your ticket number is? As for the issue, it's still on our graphics department, but he is still swamped with some other problems at the moment.

I'd love to get this working, but realistically it probably won't be coming any time soon. We've only got the one guy and he is one of the busiest in the whole company. Again, I'd be more than happy to offer refunds.
    I like how we're referring to the "Graphics Department" as "he". :D

I do appreciate the response, Will. However, it doesn't seem like it's being actively addressed, and that's a lot to put on one person. With that in mind, I'm dropping out of this thread. I lucked into borrowing a system that can play it just fine, so a refund is not necessary. Also, I am still willing to assist in testing on my old system, if need be.

Good luck to the rest of you. If I receive any further response from TellTale on this, I will post it here.

Thanks.
    -D.
  • Hey, I'm having the same problem with my refund. I was supposed to get my paypal account credited, but it's been awhile and it hasn't showed up still. I wrote back asking if everything was still alright with the issue three days ago, but haven't received a reply as of yet. What can I do? my ticket is: issue-20686.
  • Hullo? I dunno if anyone's still reading this thread, but I've made a discovery.
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2022&d=1287197323

See the picture on the far right? That's from the game when I recorded it with FRAPS. (Actually, it's from when I clicked outside of the game window, but recording with FRAPS has the same effect.)

Doesn't have to have any specific settings, but if you record the game with FRAPS while playing, it corrects itself for the most part.

I would sure like to know what goes on in FRAPS (and outside of the game) that causes the polygons to look normal. Then we could isolate it and use to make a patch!
This discussion has been closed.