User Avatar Image

Why only 5 player table game?

posted by Origami on - last edited - Viewed by 673 users
In a tourney format, Poker is never played with 5 people. It's always either a 6 or 9 player table.
19 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'd really like to see Murray in this game. We didn't see enough of him in the last monkey island game.
  • How would he play without hands?
  • caeska;397950 said:
    How would he play without hands?
    Speaking of which, how does Strong Bad play with boxing gloves on?
  • Soup;397865 said:
    Secret sixth character is goign to be marty mcfly or young doc brown
    i'm calling it now!!!
    Owh man....I see an expansion pack coming. ^^
  • Several of the characters are psychotic, why can't you just count the voices in their heads as an extra player?

Especially Max.
  • If it's true that this is a pilot game, then perhaps we'll see other characters get added on. Still, Telltale has said they wanted a small number of players to make it feel more casual.
  • caeska;397950 said:
    How would he play without hands?
    As Murray would say:

"How can you walk around without a brain? Some things no one can answer"

Speaking of dialogue.... It would be interesting to have dialogue trees. In the last poker game the player was passive in waiting for characters to say their lines... Perhaps some sort of initiate table talk type of button. Just a thought Telltale
  • i wish they could have gotten Guybrush to apear in this game.
  • User Avatar Image
    HoboStew Telltale Staff
    Licensing 4 characters is difficult enough! I couldn't imagine trying to do this with more characters, with different art styles, etc.

But ignoring that issue for the moment, echoing what Jake said I think 5 players feels right for this style of poker. This isn't a hard-core tournament. This is a breezy, fun night in the back room of a bar poker game. With more characters it would start to get crowded and harder get them interacting in any meaningful way. I think its just about right, of course I am ridiculously biased at this point.
  • Origami;396818 said:
    In a tourney format, Poker is never played with 5 people. It's always either a 6 or 9 player table.
    Isn't this just a matter of convention? I can't see any reason why a six-player table makes an inherently better format than a five-player table. (Yes, I am aware that five-handed poker plays a bit differently, but differently doesn't imply worse.)
Add Comment