User Avatar Image

Differences in retail package vs. ordering bonus dvd from site?

posted by AndrewL on - last edited - Viewed by 521 users
What's the difference (if any) from ordering the entire game from the site and getting the bonus dvd OR just going into the store and buying a retail copy?

other than the packaging, i'm assuming.

p.s. yes, it's me. Andrew from way back when, before the lucasforum days even. I'm sure Jake remembers me. anyone else here from those days? 1998? i used to go by "infamous shrooms"..haha i was about 13 or 14 at the time.
15 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Most of us got the Telltale disc for free anyway. :D
  • What I need to know is... does the Telltale dvd version have copy protection, and one you install do you need to have the disc in the drive? Not that I want to rip you guys off or anything. In fact I've already gone out and bought the retail version without doing my research.

I hate stuff like Starforce, SecuROM and other protections that install on your PC and mess with things. I also just assumed (my mistake!) that considering the online distribution of this game it wouldn't require a disc to play.

So anyway, tell me that the DVD version doesn't suffer from these debilitations and I'll gladly buy it again.
  • AlienCowThatMoos;40190 said:
    What I need to know is... does the Telltale dvd version have copy protection, and one you install do you need to have the disc in the drive? Not that I want to rip you guys off or anything. In fact I've already gone out and bought the retail version without doing my research.

I hate stuff like Starforce, SecuROM and other protections that install on your PC and mess with things. I also just assumed (my mistake!) that considering the online distribution of this game it wouldn't require a disc to play.

So anyway, tell me that the DVD version doesn't suffer from these debilitations and I'll gladly buy it again.
    You do still need the disc in the drive but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any crappy copy protection programs (like Starforce, my arch nemesis). I'm still waiting for mine so I can't confirm much
  • It has SecuROM. The DVD has to be in your drive to play, but only to start up... the episodes are all installed on the HDD.
  • We should go back to floppy disks, they didn't have this sort of problem :P
  • backslash;40196 said:
    We should go back to floppy disks, they didn't have this sort of problem :P
    Yeah, and there's nothing like losing a magnet into a box of them. Don't ask me how, but I've been there and done that. :rolleyes:
  • Also securom doesn't install anything onto your computer.
  • :eek: Telarium! :eek:

As you can see at my site I tried to keep some of the "Highland Productions"-music alive... well, even THAT's been a while now...
  • Telltale's version and the retail version both use SecuROM and require the disc in the drive to play.
  • SecuROM is not bad at all. Well, unless you limit the number of installs to two like some companies I won't mention. I'm sure Telltale would never do that :D A simple CD or DVD check is very reasonable.
Add Comment