User Avatar Image

How to remove that annoying film grain?

posted by Wootman on - last edited - Viewed by 3.2K users
I hate film grain in any game since I have bad eyesight so it makes certain things look dark unless I look close.
81 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I only notices the film grain in 2 games & only for a short while. Then after episode 4, I played Teller Of Tale's "The Path" & it had film grain too, so I just gave up. lol.
  • I'd like for someone to make the film grain optional in this game please. I bought Sam & Max Season 3 on Steam, and the graininess driving me nuts. Especially on the dark scenes. My boyfriend bought me a nice big monitor and a nice graphics card to play my games on, and I find that all the speckling is really noticeable and distracting (unless I'm sitting about three feet back from the screen).

I'm glad that some people like it, and I think it should be there for them if they want it, but an option to turn it off would be great. Thank you!
  • I've seen that the film grain's effect actually varies from computer to computer and/or monitor to monitor. I had no problems with it, but now I understand people who are irritated by it.

Maybe a setting to "lower the film grain's effect" rather than completely getting rid of it would please everyone, but it's too late for such a thing now.
  • Falanca;430410 said:
    Maybe a setting to "lower the film grain's effect" rather than completely getting rid of it would please everyone, but it's too late for such a thing now.
    Aw, I don't think so. Telltale could fix it if they want to. Maybe someone else knows how to fix it with a mod?
  • Miss Soda;430461 said:
    Aw, I don't think so. Telltale could fix it if they want to. Maybe someone else knows how to fix it with a mod?
    Well, now that they are shipping the DVD version of it there is no turning back. They rarely update their stuff anyway.

Noone has worked on such a thing, but it's a splendid idea. This may require the extraction and recompression of game data though.
  • The Film Grain actually tones down in the next episodes, I barely noticed it at all during They Stole Max's Brain, it was back but used less for Beyond the Alleys of the Dolls but again I don't remember it on The City That Dares Not Sleep.
  • User Avatar Image
    Fly
    I like the film grain, but I also think that the OP is justified in wanting an off-button and the other film grain fans saying 'lol get glasses' are being big fat poopieheads about it, in the nicest possible language. He has poor eyesight. It is no longer a taste issue (which you can be justified in being jerks about) - it's an accessibility issue. OP isn't complaining because it bothers him aesthetically, he is reasonably complaining because it makes the game physically difficult for him to play.

I won't be turning off the grain if it's in future releases because I think it looks gorgeous, but I definitely think there should have been an Off option in the menu, for accessibility reasons alone. Yeah, the game is a work of art in whatever form and should be viewed as the developer intended, but surely it would be better if visually impaired players could enjoy the game at all, rather than not being able to play thanks to grain that can't be switched off?

(Wootman, sorry if you aren't male - I'm assuming you are because you have 'man' in your name, but if I'm wrong, I'm sorry and I take full responsibility.)
  • Falanca;430465 said:
    Well, now that they are shipping the DVD version of it there is no turning back. They rarely update their stuff anyway.
    That's a shame. Some companies, like Valve, continually update their products, sometimes years after release.
    Falanca;430465 said:
    Noone has worked on such a thing, but it's a splendid idea. This may require the extraction and recompression of game data though.
    Does anyone know if it's possible to make such a mod, or if modding is something that Telltale allows or forbids?
  • Miss Soda;434538 said:
    Some companies, like Valve, continually update their products, sometimes years after release.
    Yeah, but they're also big enough to support their huge update traffic by a revolutionary gaming system they came up with, namely Steam.

Telltale's only system that they could go for is updating the setup on a FTP server and letting people downloading their games off of it. When they upload a new game they have to take the entire site into maintentance.
  • it looks good but it makes me lag and I wish I could turn it off
Add Comment