User Avatar Image

Your opinion on The Geek. Like her or Hate her?

posted by SlasherMan on - last edited - Viewed by 897 users
Well Saw a little discution on this matter on an unrelated thread and I decided to make this poll and opinion thread so you guys can opinion on your Hatred or Love of The Geek

My opinion:Yeah, I Hate her!! :D
33 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    mDt
    She's kind of a Bosco character but seems to be more of a "straightman" character in the world of Sam and Max. Plus, she was a kid, so it seemed like she was only there to give kids, especially girls as there don't seem to be any other repeating female characters on the show, and seems to exist with the sole purpose of telling Sam and Max that an idea is bad before they off and do it anyway. I don't know, her involvement really felt like a means to make the show more PC and what not - somebody has to think that Sam and Max don't always have the best ideas, and somebody rational has to think about their well being and safety from time to time. It pulls from the feel of the show though, but gives kids a figure to try and emulate. Seems like all she can do is invent gadgets and call them nuts.

SO OFF WITH HER HEAD! OFF WITH HER HEAAAAAAAD!

Plus, I can't think of the name "Geek" without the Kevin Smith explanation the definition of the term. "A geek is the guy who works at the carnival freak show biting the heads off of live chickens."

EDIT: without reading the second page beforehand, I see that Fly said a lot of what I said much better than I did.
  • User Avatar Image
    Fly
    mDt;435428 said:
    somebody has to think that Sam and Max don't always have the best ideas, and somebody rational has to think about their well being and safety from time to time.
    That's actually a pretty interesting point. Thinking about it, the addition of The Geek let Sam be more insane than he'd usually be in the comics and games; normally, Sam needs to at least be rational enough to tone down Max's stupid ideas, but in the cartoon, Sam could be just as bad as Max if The Geek was the one playing straight-man. I'm not sure this necessarily makes Sam's character better or more interesting or funnier, but I think it does make his character work better in the cartoon.
    mDt;435428 said:
    Seems like all she can do is invent gadgets and call them nuts.
    That's why I thought she was at her best in the Uglions episode, where she actually did some solo detective work, got captured, got herself out of trouble without relying on Sam and Max, and returned to find Max needing to be rescued instead. The whole time she was happily participating in the 'aliens taking over the world with fast food' plot without pausing to point out how stupid it was, and her taking everything so seriously amped up the comedy melodrama in a way Sam and Max wouldn't have been able to do. I wish she'd been like that more often in the series, but that would have involved giving her a larger role and potentially messing up the duo dynamic, I suppose.
  • I can't see why people hated her, she worked fairly well, the "GOING FOR DISTANCE!!" bit in her lab made me laugh!
  • I liked her, and the only reason i wouldnt want her in the games was it be a terrible 3D model xD
  • I could care less about her:P
  • Whiz kids are annoying :P
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    she is cool but i like Lorne "the friend for liiifeee" more
  • I think she's alright. I mean she's not as funny as Sam and Max, but she was never annoying or anything. Though, she was never in any episodes for THAT long so she didn't have much opportunity to stand out either way.
  • Last time I remember watching the cartoon of Sam and max, I was really annoyed with her. I saw out as a character that was forced to be added in any show. She was out of place in this and didnt blend in quite well with the sam and max universe.
Add Comment