40 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'm between the two of you. My B&N is fairly small, single level, and does feel a bit cramped, but only has the small Nook display at the front of the store.
  • I hope they do not close the one in my town.
  • SHODANFreeman;450511 said:
    What are "books"?
    An analog form of data storage, one of the last in widespread usage. Words are printed directly onto thin sheets pressed from tree pulp, and are then bound together on one side.
  • Hope the ones in NZ don't close.
  • Rather Dashing;450524 said:
    An analog form of data storage, one of the last in widespread usage. Words are printed directly onto thin sheets pressed from tree pulp, and are then bound together on one side.
    Contrary to analog music or analog photography the term analog is often misused in combination with normal books as you don't store the relevant information in a continuous way, a character is still a character which again is part of a discrete abstract definition.
  • Borders in Australia is still running. The same company owns Angus & Robertson and Borders in Australia.
  • I've only ever boughtTwo things from Borders (UK), which were DVDs. One of which had a large scratch on it, which rendered it unplayable. Unfortunately, the store was 16 miles away, so I never got to return it (Petrol cost being greater than the DVD value).

I guess it's a shame to see bookstores going, but, to be honest, it's not surprising. Books are just so much more expensive instores. The last time I went into a bookstore, I was shocked to see them charging the price on the back of the book, which shows just how used to getting them at nice online prices I am (£2.99 instead of £5.99, for example). I think Borders is suffering from the same fate as a lot of retailers (like HMV). A lot of people visiting them, but not many actually buying stuff.
  • Molokov;450582 said:
    Borders in Australia is still running. The same company owns Angus & Robertson and Borders in Australia.
    This is good to know. Borders in Australia is the only decent place to buy books down here and even then it doesn't compare to the stores in America and Europe.
Add Comment