User Avatar Image

Art Direction

posted by Rather Dashing on - last edited - Viewed by 8.5K users
Okay, I think this deserves its own thread:

What kind of general art direction do you wan the game to take? What is your favorite game in terms of in-game art?

I personally would love something that looks similar to the AGD Interactive and Infamous Adventures remakes of the first few King's Quest games:

A lush, "painted" look with a vibrant, storybook color palette. I think looking at the game should give a similar impression as looking at the box art for previous games, I-V specifically. I think a storybook color palette(erring on the side of "earthy" tones) is really important, and I would love to get the impression that the world exists on a storybook page, possibly with a perspective to cement that(with a camera similar to that in the earlier King's Quest games for atmosphere purposes). I don't think King's Quest is a franchise whose roots are in cinema, unlike Police Quest which draws from police dramas and Space Quest which draws from science fiction "Flash Gordon"-type influences, so a "cinematic" approach to the camera would seem wrong, like an "adaptation" of a fairytale on screen being adapted into a game, rather than adapting the fairytale itself in game form.
101 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island tried hard to do it... but their 3D characters just didn't seem to fit in the beautifully done backgrounds.... I think TTG can do it... its just they do not want to because it would be more challenging in the time frame they work in.

Their deadlines and file sizes have noticeably compromised their games on occasion.
  • That's true. I remember being very impressed by both A Vampyre Story and Ghost Pirates for their nice use of background "planes" or layers. Immersive stuff.

Give me something like this.
  • I think Magicka has a pretty good art style. I think that, especially for a low budget indie, it's got a pretty damn good fantasy look to it. It's an action game, so it's environments are better than it's characters, but for the look of the world, I think it shows that 3D can look pretty good for a painted fantasy land.

• Very interesting! Hey, is that Graham model from TSL?

Can't say I like Magicka though, especially since it has an isometric perspective. I mean, there's no sky at all! King's Quest NEEDS SKIES! ;)
  • If you mean my mockup, yep. They did a great job on textures, but I'd like to see Telltale take it the extra mile.
  • Irishmile;455700 said:
    Who ever worked on the Jurassic Park concept art should work on KQ... See what I mean?
    Awesome. This would be perfect.
    Secret Fawful;455817 said:
    Give me something like this.
    Background is too much like Kincaid's work. Which I REALLY don't like. Is this just me?
  • Giant Tope;455849 said:
    Background is too much like Kincaid's work. Which I REALLY don't like. Is this just me?
    You mean Thomas Kinkade? He's my favorite painter of all time. Not a surprise you'd hate him then, but his style would be my first pick as an inspiration for painting a new KQ game.
  • secret fawful;455856 said:
    you mean thomas kinkade? He's my favorite painter of all time. Not a surprise you'd hate him then, but his style would be my first pick as an inspiration for painting a new kq game.

Ha! Haha! Haha! What a kidder, you!
  • I'm not joking. What are you gonna do about it, bitches?
Add Comment