User Avatar Image

Traditional animation vs. 3D animation...

posted by Leplaya on - last edited - Viewed by 8.5K users
I am not that big of King's quest, but I have seen bits of pieces of the games. The only game of King's quest that I remember playing was the 7th one, and that one was the Princeless Bride. I'm not that big into the animation of that one(Since I dislike it when people mimic the Disney style) but my sister likes it and it reminds her of Don Bluth's style. I know the game is likely to be done in 3D but will there be certain parts of the game that will use 2D? Or even better, used for the cutscenes of the game? It would be sweet if that would happen.
164 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • No just a rabbit, a POISONOUS rabbit!
    You mean like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg
  • philthethrill;457233 said:
    exactely.
  • thesporkman;455053 said:
    The graphics should look like this:

http://kyucon.com/qblock/#/16396
    that would be cool
  • They should make it all in the style of the Peasant's Quest sequence in SBCG4AP
  • Am I the only person who would love to see the game done in traditional artwork with a point and click interface rather than 3D graphics? Puzzle Agent has shown that the Telltale Engine can be adapted to hand drawn animated games

When I say traditional artwork I'm not directly referring to King's Quest VII... It wouldn't necessarily have to be cartoony, it could look visually realistic but hand drawn rather than CG'ish.

Opinions? They'll have to be just that, because Telltale will likely opt for CGI rather than animation rather than hire different animators.
  • G.byrne;464029 said:
    Am I the only person who would love to see the game done in traditional artwork with a point and click interface rather than 3D graphics?
    Yes, you are. In my entire life, I have never seen an adventure game fan preferring 2d artwork to 3d. Ever. What a weird individual you are.
  • My parents always told me I was weird. I used to ask them why they would say such things...

They never explained... Now I understand why.
  • G.byrne;464029 said:
    Puzzle Agent has shown that the Telltale Engine can be adapted to hand drawn animated games
    No it didn't. That's a 3D game in a 3D engine right there, made to look very similar to a 2-dimensional cartoon style. It's no more 2D than Strong Bad's Cool Game.
  • Rather Dashing;464035 said:
    It's no more 2D than Strong Bad's Cool Game.
    Well... first of, the main player character isn't modeled and rendered in 3D... And there is no cruising, and it does not make use of 3D camera angles. True, there are some 3D animations in the background sometimes but it's done to make fluent animations (which is funny since Grickle was never known for its fluent animations). Overall it's a 2D game.
  • But it's still done in 3D. Everything but the characters and user interface are in 3D. Not to say that the Telltale Tool is incapable of doing Puzzle Agent using only illustrations (on a 3D axis). The difference is that whereas Puzzle Agent is generally fixed camera, I can't imagine King's Quest, with the cinematic notion that Telltale has taken to, staying fixed all the time. That would complicate things for the 2D backgrounds.
Add Comment