User Avatar Image

KQ on a console?

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users
I just had a disturbing thought.

Telltale is most likely going to build this game with a control scheme in mind that can easily port to play on consoles. King's Quest. With an XBox contoller...

I have never played an adventure game on a console. To this day I still prefer 'Point & Click' or 'Click & Drag' even over using WASD keys on my keyboard for adventure games (I suspect Escape from Monkey Island is to blame for that).

Okay, sure. Back in the parser days, we did (only) have direct control over the character in KQ games, but designing a King's Quest game specifically so that it can played with a console controller instead of a mouse just sounds so many shades of wrong to me.

I'm not saying that it will only use direct control for the PC version. I know better than that. I'm just not sure I'm personally prepared for a 3D model of Graham which I can control with a thumb stick on my TV set.

What do you guys think?
37 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Maybe the outcry came just before Episode 1 then? When it was first announced that TMI would have directional controls? Either way they added C&D at the last minute. It definitely wasn't planned prior.

Ah yes...I recall the epic "controls" thread in the TMI forum now...
  • It won't have been planned at the start of ToMI development as that started before Wallace & Gromit first came out and it was the reaction to the control system that caused the development team for ToMI to look at possible alternative control methods. That is my recollection, anyway.
  • MusicallyInspired;468253 said:
    Maybe the outcry came just before Episode 1 then? When it was first announced that TMI would have directional controls? Either way they added C&D at the last minute. It definitely wasn't planned prior.

Ah yes...I recall the epic "controls" thread in the TMI forum now...
    I think this is likely I do recall the "will it be point and click or WASD like W&G?" threads... and then the confimation that it would not be point and click... its possible that the click and drag was made to appease the unpleased pointers and clickers...
  • I'd say that's definitely the reason.
  • But I also recall me being taller and much better looking... so maybe we are both wrong :p
  • Irishmile;468263 said:
    its possible that the click and drag was made to appease the unpleased pointers and clickers...
    Thank God for that then.

Seriously. Being forced into playing a modern (ie. non-parser) adventure game using WASD or a controller instead of a mouse just irks me.
  • I don't mind the arrow controls at all. In fact it's a lot less irritating that P&C. C&D is just miserably frustrating, though.
  • Yep I prefer direct control or "driving" the character as well... there was a time when I didn't believe I would ever say that...

But I prefer a gamepad... If the buttons are mapped out well it can be much more rewarding.
  • I don't like the "driving the character" style, but rather the "compass direction" style. Where left is the player's perspective and not the character's perspective.
Add Comment