User Avatar Image

Adventure Games: 3D vs. 2D

posted by Anonymous on - last edited - Viewed by 4.1K users
I'm not sure if it's kosher to make my first post here a new topic, but this thread idea pertains well to an adventure gaming board.

As an adventure-gamer, do you prefer sprite-based games (Day of the Tentacle, Kings Quest, etc.) or 3D-modeled games (Grim Fandango, Monkey Island 4)?

I personally prefer the scheme of a good old 2D adventure game, because 3D adventure games seem harder to control, especially since they don't use the mouse. I guess I wouldn't complain if I could use the mouse when I control my characters' movements, though.
63 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    I enjoy 2d adventure games far more then 3d. In terms of techonology, I think Curse of Monkey Island was the greatest. It had beautiful art and animation yet was still 2d. If they made a game like that now, using modern rendering techniques, it would be stunning.
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    Hai!

I do not thing, that there is a (serious) 3D versus 2D discussion!
    It is not the right question.
    In the future there will be only 3D games, but will there be still adventures? Will there be story-telling games? We all know the answer. On the other hand, you have to ask:
    Is there already an 3D-game-engine build for adventuregames, that is compareble with 2D adventures?
    Even Grims engine was not, but the story was so awesome, I (you) never mind.
    So maybe the developers just have to make a better 3d-engine, haven't they?
    I think no. Take a look to "Psychonauts" and you will see the answer. You have to mix 3d with 2d, good music with good story.
    Just make a better job than the rest.
    Do the right stuff , so there won't be missed left over stuff.
    I think, we should discuss seriously about entertainment rather than stupid 3d.vs.2d nonsense.

B-)
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    I'd say it depends on the adventure type wheter you should use 2D or 3D. Let's take Monkey Island: For me, Guybrush and his friends always were COMICS, like calvin & hobbes or garfield. Same amount of fun, same type of graphics. And comics can not be done right in 3D. (Look at the models in MI4 - horrible!)
    I agree that there are several adventures that did a very nice job using 3d perspectives: The longest journey, Syberia I & II, The moment of silence. Those are not comic-adventures though.

Full ack to the steering problems with 3d too, I like point and click...
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    In the future there will be only 3D games, but will there be still adventures? Will there be story-telling games? We all know the answer.
    That's a rather wild generalisation - I disagree.
    Look at all the emerging Flash/Java-2D games on the web: http://www.albartus.com/motas/ or http://www.pinheadgames.com etc...
    2D is not dead, it's just shifted to other places/means than being sold on diskettes/CDs by major companies.
    2D is an independent thing nowadays.
    I think, we should discuss seriously about entertainment rather than stupid 3d.vs.2d nonsense.
    We discuss a lot of things in here. And as you might see, most people (in this thread) prefer 2D games to 3D.
    What is it you want to discuss about 'entertainment'?
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    [quote] It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
    Ah yeah, those were the days! :))
    Let's all head to Flood Control Dam #3...[/quote]

Speaking of the wolf...

There's a film (and software) studio called the General Coffee Company which made a text based "interactive fiction"/game (open source) system - Hugo
    and here's a linkie to their (new) game Future Boy

...yes! text-based (with optional graphics) adventure game ...I couldn't believe it when I saw it! Works on lots of platforms (even PalmOS and some Nokia mobile phones O_o) thanks to the open nature of the engine.
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    Thanks for the info, hook! - That game looks really great, gonna hit the demo ASAP!

Strange thing, that Hugo-engine. I never heard of any game written in ANSI C before...
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    Strange thing, that Hugo-engine. I never heard of any game written in ANSI C before...
    well, they *are* a film crew in it's origins ;) ...but, yea ANSI C ...respect! dunno what else to say

...although - the galaga-like Tom Bombem written in assembler is still my favourite when it comes to that
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    i vote 2D

3d is good also

Syberia 1&2 look great,still gota play them :(

Mi4 was horible in 3d.ugly models.

moment of silence looks also great,played the demo :D

has lots of nice cut scene's
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    !!!Talley Mark!!!

2-D So far=7
    3-D So far=2
    On the Fence=4

P.s.

Captain Le chimp, your're a yaking fiend.
  • User Avatar Image
    Anonymous
    !!!Talley Mark!!!

2-D So far=7
    3-D So far=2
    On the Fence=3

P.s.

Captain Le chimp, your're a yaking fiend.
    what do you mean
    with youre a yaking fiend
Add Comment